Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live on Luas Red Line?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

I am looking to live somewhere near the red line between red cow and tallaght,any suggestions?I will be renting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Kingswood or Kilnamanagh areas would probably be the quietest but they're mostly houses, depends on what you are looking for really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭fire_man

Actually i could live anywhere on the red line from City to tallaght.I would like to be near a gym ,good shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mtsachev

I'm looking for something similar. So far Clondalkin seems to be most promising. Drimnagh is nice but pricier.

It also depends how far away from the Luas you would go.

I've been told by a friend to avoid Tallaght, haven't been myself enough there to check for myself though.

Let me know if you find an interesting spot, looking for the same myself at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Parkwest? Okay, it is a 30 minute walk from the Kylemore stop but it does have a Gym. Not much in the way of shops - A spar, A thai restaurent, A bookies and not much else. Does have its own train station and three bus routes on or nearby.

I live here so I am biased.

How much rent do you pay in Parkwest? I can't trust the numbers I see in agent ads. Most seem to have an extortionist practice of advertising low rents and telling you the price only after you've seen the apartment and said that you like it.

• Advertisement

Whats Drimnagh like.i taught that was rough?

I think it's rough north of the canal but it is in a contrasty area. When I think about it again though most good areas within walking distance to the Red Line are close to rough areas.

Whats firhouse like if i had a car it wount be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

mtsachev wrote: »
    How much rent do you pay in Parkwest? I can't trust the numbers I see in agent ads. Most seem to have an extortionist practice of advertising low rents and telling you the price only after you've seen the apartment and said that you like it.

Unfortunately I can't say - I own my place so no rent. Parking is a problem here - each apartment has only one allocated space, irrespective of whether it is a 1, 2 or 3 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,933 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There are lots of apartments at the square tallaght. They are brand new and decently spec'd region of 900-1000 per month for 2 beds. It ticks all of your boxes and also as all the amenities too.

• Advertisement

Well if you use your car to go to work then you don't need to be near the Luas at all :-) But cars are a lot more expensive than using the Luas, especially if you go for a 3 zone taxsaver pass, and might be less reliable in traffic.

Ah, I don't have a car. I was also looking to rent in Parkwest but the 30+ minute walk to the Luas isn't what I'm looking for. If it was just 20 minutes it would have been a lot better.

FYI I got an apt in Drimnagh. 5 minute walk from the Luas :-) Very quiet place looking at trees and a small river. The only downside is 2 mobile antennas bundled with the view.

Was also wondering about an apt in Clondalkin but was turned down by a gas heater in the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

fire_man wrote: »
    Whats firhouse like if i had a car it wount be too bad.

Firhouse is nice, near to the mountains and there are a few shops nearby. It'd be about a 40 minute walk from the Tallaght LUAS stop (depending on how quickly you walk!), and there's one bus route from there into the city centre which is the 49.

If you have a car you'd be at the Tallaght LUAS stop in about 5/10minutes traffic permitting. I'd certainly recommend Firhouse if the commute isn't an issue, it's a relatively quiet and pleasant area.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭anndub

Id strongly recommend Kilmainham. Shops, close to city, short ten minute walk to the luas stop (suir rd) and the Hilton hotel has a gym. Close to the Phoenix park too which is good for summer runs/walks. Nice safe area too. Lots of apartments to rent in the old chocolate factory (behind the Hilton). The Hilton sometimes does deals for Gym for residents I think.

Inchicore is alright too as long as you stick to the part west of the village centre, thats the half that's closest to the Blackhorse sto as opposed to the Drimnagh stop. I lived there for a year and never felt unsafe. Got the luas to work every day from the Drimnagh stop but it is abit rough along there. Hilton gym is also within walking distance of Inchicore.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,933 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Firhouse is nice, near to the mountains and there are a few shops nearby. It'd be about a 40 minute walk from the Tallaght LUAS stop (depending on how quickly you walk!), and there's one bus route from there into the city centre which is the 49.

If you have a car you'd be at the Tallaght LUAS stop in about 5/10minutes traffic permitting. I'd certainly recommend Firhouse if the commute isn't an issue, it's a relatively quiet and pleasant area.

So no where near the Red line then at all... :rolleyes:

Anyway if the OP has moved into Drimnagh as per the post above yours.

All solved. Best of luck OP. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭anndub

Sorry for double posting.

Just to let you know the car park at the Luas Tallaght stop is pay per hour so leaving a car there all day wouldnt be feasible Id imagine. Im assuming you want to get the luas to work if you're looking specifically along the line?

There's a P+R at Tallagh, at least their website says so which is about 90 euro pm with a monthly pass.

From what I have seen Hilton do have discounts for Old Chocolate but in that area you also have Metropolitan Apartments where you get free gym for residents which can be quite a saving.

Advertisement