Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance

Options
  • 11-10-2010 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this type of query but anyway...

I cancelled my Aviva Health Insurance in June as it had gotten way too expensive (almost a grand per year!). I took up a kind of basic hospital cover from HMCA, but that isn't worth much.

I've now gone and ruptured ligaments in my knee and this would obviously cost a fortune to get operated on etc. So my question is how long can a person who joins up to a health insurance provider actually claim from their cover? I think Aviva is 6 months, could be wrong.

If anyone could just give me some advice on the issue that would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

One can have a break in cover of 13 weeks and after that you have to reserve waiting periods. Your injury would now be classified as a pre existing condition so you won't be able to get cover for that particular injury for 5 years. The 6 months is for new conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Given that you're not that far outside the 13 weeks (6 weeks at the most, depending on when in June you cancelled), it's no harm to ask Aviva if you could rejoin and have continuity of cover. They may ask you to pay for the intervening months, or they may just tell you no, they are within their rights in either case.

Also, treatment under the public system is a fraction of the cost of private care. However, the main obstacle is the time you're waiting to see a consultant and get treated. Have you checked to see how long it would take to get an operation on the public system? The cost would be €75 per night up to a maximum of €750 per year, and that includes consultant costs, scans, and the hospital stay itself.

Advertisement