Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hong Fu Direct

• 11-10-2010 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

I am going to be buying another Hong Fu frame plus fork in the next few weeks direct from Hong Fu itself.
    Another member of the forum contacted me requesting details of where I got my original one from as they were interested in buying one.
    I am just gonna throw this out there to see if there is any sort of interest in some sort of group buy.
    I would imagine that if there was enough numbers a good discount be available.

I wont be buying till mid Nov at the earliest.
    http://www.e-hongfu-bikes.com/index.php?main_page=index

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Thought you were announcing a new air route for a moment :-)
    I'm interested in a group buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

oooh, maybe. My rims worked out well before. Keep in mind... buying in bulk == customs charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

mloc123 wrote: »
    oooh, maybe. My rims worked out well before. Keep in mind... buying in bulk == customs charges.
    Yes. Bring in a few boxes will deffo attract customs. What they will make of it and how much they will charge is another thing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Customs duty rate will probably be the sama as for complete bikes which, IIRC, is 14%. You'll have to pay VAT at 21% on top of that ....

But surely the argument would be that it is not a full bike!!
    Anyway we will worry about that later.
    Will try and pick someone's brains on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭abc_xyz

Beasty wrote: »
    The Customs duty rate will probably be the sama as for complete bikes which, IIRC, is 14%. You'll have to pay VAT at 21% on top of that ....

Hate to contradict you Beasty but the customs rate for "bike parts" (ie frame) is less then for a full bike. I THINK it is about 3%. Still have to pay the VAT of course (which means your paying tax on tax which is - let's not go there).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

abc_xyz wrote: »
    Hate to contradict you Beasty but the customs rate for "bike parts" (ie frame) is less then for a full bike. I THINK it is about 3%. Still have to pay the VAT of course (which means your paying tax on tax which is - let's not go there).
    I was just checking when you posted - the rate for frames/forks is actually 4.7%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I've emailed them about steerer sizes (need a 1" fork)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've bought from these guys before - no problems.

uberwolf wrote: »
    I've emailed them about steerer sizes (need a 1" fork)

let us know what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

Beasty wrote: »
    I was just checking when you posted - the rate for frames/forks is actually 4.7%

I did hear of some BOLD BOYS that had the invoice state that the frame was a repair job and avoided any charges at all.

I would never condone this behaviour and think its disgraceful.

Smithzer wrote: »
    I did hear of some BOLD BOYS that had the invoice state that the frame was a repair job and avoided any charges at all.

I would never condone this behaviour and think its disgraceful.
    And I won't condone it either

Anyone else offering "tips" on tax or duty evasion will be getting an infraction

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I'd be interested in jumping on this bandwagon to get a set of rims and maybe something else. Please keep me informed bcmf or keep any developments on this thread so that i can see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

bcmf wrote: »
    let us know what they say.

sorry missed your reply.
    Hong Fu wrote:
    hi,thanks for you message,
    here is geoemtry for you reference please.
    and we only have this kind of fork with frame.
    if you like please contact me.

Lemag wrote: »
    I'd be interested in jumping on this bandwagon to get a set of rims and maybe something else. Please keep me informed bcmf or keep any developments on this thread so that i can see them.
    will do lemag though at the mo I prob wont be able to make the move till after xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

will do lemag though at the mo I prob wont be able to make the move till after xmas.
    Cheers bcmf. After crimbo suits me fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

i would also have an interest. what would the import taxes be on this size of an import though

ok just a thought how about we look into a full build people post their other components, the prices and where they would by them.

it would help someone like me who just cant choose and might make the forum neater. beats people posting a which component thread for their bikes.

ill start it off thinking ultergra 6750 compact for groupset. Would not want to pay over 600 for it though and this hong-fu frame http://www.e-hongfu-bikes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=189

any suggestions on other components??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭teufelswerk

This is more as way of an FYI than condoning any attempted "tax fraud" (whatever that is?). These bikes are usually brought in without any sort if declaration at all. If you have a poster of Immanuel Kant on your wall this is not for you. If you wish to procure a 980g frame for less than 600 euro this may be for you. Just remember it's not having any tax charged at all! I know "someone" who has something similar and he said the frame's 12k knit makes it really stiff!

You are not contributing to the tax coffers and will destroy this country of ours!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Disintermediation makes for a more efficient economy.

macken04 wrote: »
    i would also have an interest. what would the import taxes be on this size of an import though

ok just a thought how about we look into a full build people post their other components, the prices and where they would by them.

it would help someone like me who just cant choose and might make the forum neater. beats people posting a which component thread for their bikes.

ill start it off thinking ultergra 6750 compact for groupset. Would not want to pay over 600 for it though and this hong-fu frame http://www.e-hongfu-bikes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=189

any suggestions on other components??

The way I am building is rather then buying a full gruppo I am buying the compenents as they appear on ebay, adverts, here etc etc. therefore get more or less exactly or second choice parts which will be Campy.
    That is the frame I had and will prob plump for again. IMO a really decent frame. doesnt have a full race race geometry so makes it a comfy ride for those long spins but it is deffo no slouch. Was certainly a stiff enough frame. I had it paired with the 001 forks which I loved but gave a slight bit of movement right down at the bottom of forks BUT only noticed this under very heavy breaking ie coming to a quick halt from a very fast descent.

• Advertisement

Just remember it's not having any tax charged at all! I know "someone" who has something similar and he said the frame's 12k knit makes it really stiff!

You are not contributing to the tax coffers and will destroy this country of ours!!
    the 3k,12k or UD finish are almost purely for asthetic purpose's.
    WRT taxes .....If customs nab it then the tax will be paid. If they dont then I wont lose any sleep after the treasonous behaviour......#bcmf stops himself for fear of going on an off topic rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

If you are looking for Campy stuff bcmf, I will probably be offloading a barely used Record Crankset Carbon UT 170mm 53/39 with BB cups pretty soon.

Ahhhh Quigs where were you a couple of weeks ago.......Anyway I needed a min of 172.5 a am plumping for a compact and will stick a 52 or 53 onto it

what frame are you goin for this time bcmf? Could anyone recommend cheapest places for groupsets? im hoping to break my budget down frame and fork 450, groupset 600, wheals 200, bars, stem, headset 200. have the pedals

any recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭teufelswerk

the 3k,12k or UD finish are almost purely for asthetic purpose's.
    WRT taxes .....If customs nab it then the tax will be paid. If they dont then I wont lose any sleep after the treasonous behaviour......#bcmf stops himself for fear of going on an off topic rant

Apologies, my Tongue in cheek comment wasnt as obvious as I thought. I also got a frame via China. As far as I can see it's fairly widespread and it's just a matter of locating a trusted supplier.
    I wasn't giving any self-appointed tax inspector garbage if that's what you suspected. Tough times and all that.

am going for the same again FM-001 with the same forks.
    with regards to gruppo do you want campy or shimano or sram.
    the only thing i can reccommend is too give all the websites a good trawl. Dont rule out Irish shops. You may well be surprised. Try Jimmy Humphries in Finglas or cyclesuperstore etc for campy. cant really give pointers for shimsram

Apologies, my Tongue in cheek comment wasnt as obvious as I thought. I also got a frame via China. As far as I can see it's fairly widespread and it's just a matter of locating a trusted supplier.
    I wasn't giving any self-appointed tax inspector garbage if that's what you suspected. Tough times and all that.

Ah no worries. They are certainly getting popular. From the extensive threads on RBR there seems to be only 1 or 2 manufacturer's and all the rest are just suppliers. Hong Fu being one the major manufacturers.

im considering sram or shim. currently have a camp grupo, while it is fantastic spares are so dam expensive. I think the ultergra or rival grupo could be the best bet.

i will defo try a few lbs. most include fitting in the sales price too. how much are you budgeting BCMF? im lookn at 1200 to 1500 max for the full build. hoping to have it done by mid march. the sales could prove fruitful

i would love to spring for a sram red though.

no real budget speak of as I am just buying bit by bit but needless to say as cheap as possible

• Advertisement

could i get a build recommendations for, a 1500 budget. im lookn at ultegra group

Macken: you may be better off starting a new thread as a lot of guys prob wont pop their head in here so you will getter a better response.

Advertisement