Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life in Ireland during the recession...

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Is it me or does the maths not make sense?

4% of around 4 million people during boom times unemployed = 40000
    13% of around 4 million people now unemployed = 520,000

so if 31% of people on dole never bothered in boom times, that figure is around 156,000 people, bit of a jump from the original 40000

I know figures would not exactly be 4 million people but the maths is essentially the same.

Your figures are all wrong. The labour force is about 2M. 4% of 4Million is not 40K. And so on.

However, the 4% is also misleading. They were not all long term unemployed. Only 2% of all workers were unemployable.

Yeah lets get out and enjoy ourselves bla bla bla, clearly coming from people with zero dependents or mortgages. What you have all failed to realise is that most of these doom and gloom people you are mocking so casually are doing what we all didn't do in the good times, think of the future.......we are all getting destroyed in the next budget, taxed on everything we do and further loss of earnings:loss of jobs etc etc, the cycle is going to begin again, remember that and make your non doom and gloom comments then.

Some of the non-doom and gloom merchants might not belong to that "all" of us who have mortgages, which was thinking of the future then. Lots of people thought that property was over-valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Your figures are all wrong. The labour force is about 2M. 4% of 4Million is not 40K. And so on.

However, the 4% is also misleading. They were not all long term unemployed. Only 2% of all workers were unemployable.

Yeah I know they are wrong with regards population, I am just looking at the claim 31% of people now on dole were on the dole anyway during boom times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Yeah I know they are wrong with regards population, I am just looking at the claim 31% of people now on dole were on the dole anyway during boom times.

i didnt really think the original post through but the basics make sense though. 3 times as many people are now on the dole than when there was 'full' employent (thats if its true it was a 4% number)...in my mind that means at the moment 1 third of the unemployed didnt work. if the numbers was 2%, then its still 1 in 6.5 people who currently draw the dole that didnt get off their arse during the boom. these people should see their dole cut before anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

You know what, a broken spirit is a broken person. remember that when you moan about money.

money is evil. it's why you artificially feel depressed when you dont have any. it's great to have, yes, because the world is a greedy capitalist kip, BUT, this is a planet. planet will keep turning without bits of paper that people use to get stuff.

a lot of irish people have become so sickeningly materialistic over the last 20 years, and this "depression" only stems from not having money...

not having money isnt a real problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Shhh Frank! The media have advertisers to satisfy!

Back on message now:
    "Buying stuff is cool - it's how people become happy! - what? you don't have money to buy stuff - not cool - in fact, it is a national disaster and you should be really depressed."

i didnt really think the original post through but the basics make sense though. 3 times as many people are now on the dole than when there was 'full' employent (thats if its true it was a 4% number)...in my mind that means at the moment 1 third of the unemployed didnt work. if the numbers was 2%, then its still 1 in 6.5 people who currently draw the dole that didnt get off their arse during the boom. these people should see their dole cut before anyone

Here is why you are wrong. Even in booms people are made unemployed. They go on the dole. Generally, for that reason, 4% is the minimum unemployment rate. Most of these people, in non-recessions, get off the dole within 6 months. So that 4% is nothing like the number of people who never worked. Not that they dont exist, but it wasnt 4% of the labour force.

Anyway, this is a bit off-topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

You know what, a broken spirit is a broken person. remember that when you moan about money.

money is evil. it's why you artificially feel depressed when you dont have any. it's great to have, yes, because the world is a greedy capitalist kip, BUT, this is a planet. planet will keep turning without bits of paper that people use to get stuff.

a lot of irish people have become so sickeningly materialistic over the last 20 years, and this "depression" only stems from not having money...

Greed was always part of Ireland, how many old people used to stash money but lived in dumps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

fontanalis wrote: »
    Greed was always part of Ireland, how many old people used to stash money but lived in dumps?

Yup, and complained how bad they had it to anyone who'd listen.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SamSamSammy

worst recession since a world war?

Typing that out from a warm house, with food, TV, and broadband no doubt?

Not having a go, but we have it good compared to some countries in the world!

What about the people who don't even have clean water to drink!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

well, i suppose that's all well and good, but all im trying to get at is that for someone who was never into "buying the latest car, or fashion accessories" or things like that, and to look at a society now crumbling because of their NEED to, in a way, prove themselves to their peers, by having these things is a bit sickening.

i just think a LOT of people in this country need to re-prioritize what they find important. and im sure if you do it, you'll realise that money shouldnt be on that list. it's NOT important, and to be happy, you dont need to have that audi TT that deirdre down the road just bought last week.

sickening way to behave, and sometimes i feel slightly smug in the fact that i never fell for the sh!t want for these things...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

No recession in Ireland. Everybody seems quite happy. If you go to Dublin city centre, lots of people shopping, buying clothes, gadgets, women doing their hair at Peter Mark, parents buying expensive gifts for their prince and princess, coffee shops full of people( went in the other day in a coffee shop and no table available, lots of parents with their babies sitting there having a good laugh, the manager told me its like that everyday and they spend at least 3 hours there.), people travelling, week ends break, pubs full of people, discotheque you have to queue for ages to get in and the list goes on and on and on. And its not only my point of view as lots of people i've been talking too agree with me. Some Irish people have become more materialistic, more greedy and more arrogant too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

No recession in Ireland. Everybody seems quite happy. If you go to Dublin city centre, lots of people shopping, buying clothes, gadgets, women doing their hair at Peter Mark, parents buying expensive gifts for their prince and princess, coffee shops full of people( went in the other day in a coffee shop and no table available, lots of parents with their babies sitting there having a good laugh, the manager told me its like that everyday and they spend at least 3 hours there.), people travelling, week ends break, pubs full of people, discotheque you have to queue for ages to get in and the list goes on and on and on. And its not only my point of view as lots of people i've been talking too agree with me. Some Irish people have become more materialistic, more greedy and more arrogant too.
    Ah yes, I forgot how Ireland is actually just the international term for Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

worst recession since a world war?

Typing that out from a warm house, with food, TV, and broadband no doubt?

Not having a go, but we have it good compared to some countries in the world!

What about the people who don't even have clean water to drink!?!?
    It's not a recession to them, point to me their boom and how quickly they didn't have clean water to drink.

Everyone keeps banging on about other countries that have no water/internet/phone.

Those are 3rd world countries, not countries in a recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

OisinT wrote: »
    Someone sounds bitter. Things aren't bad for some people, so get over it.

I am none of the above on your previously posted list and most of the people out in town and going to the top restaurants are not either.
    Bookings are hard to get in Dublin at the moment and I'm saying that from experience.

Yeah everything fine, all our young people are emigrating .... AGAIN.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

maninasia wrote: »
    They were emigrating during the "good times" too you know; it's just we called them J1 visas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Where are the smug git police when you need them! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

What we've got in this country is a wealth recession, as opposed to an income recession. As a nation, and as individuals, our wealth has been decimated by the housing collapse and a lot of people have negative wealth.

Against that, most people still have their incomes. Most people still have the cheque coming in each week. And while incomes are falling for nearly everybody, most people who are working still earn more than we need to survive. Indeed, many people are seeing cost of living decreases to offset the declines in income (rent levels being an obvious one).

So thats in my view why people are still spending at a reasonable rate. Anyone who was at the Oktoberfest in the IFSC in Dublin last week.....I couldn't believe it, the queues for the bar were about twenty people deep. ('Twas like the old days :-)). New car sales booming.

There are people who will always moan about the country. They are in their element now. I remember growing up, at least once or twice a week my dad would say "Its a desperate bloody country".....when I was old enough to think for myself, I started thinking, "no its not". Of course there was no point in saying that to him. Same applies to a lot of the other moaners out there.

Yes they are crap times. No its not a crap country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

maninasia wrote: »
    I'm a young person. boom. I just blew your mind!

• Advertisement
Advertisement