Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle Road parking

Options
  • 11-10-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Since when is it acceptable to park on both sides of that road? Very nearly had a truck plough into me today, totally unacceptable in my mind. Why won't people park where they are supposed to and use the park and ride?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I saw a car this weekend that seemed to have "NO PARKING" written on the windows with permanent marker. It had been rubbed off but was still visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Well I'd never stoop to damaging another person's property but I got an awful fright earlier. Honestly it's scary cos there is nothing you can do! I know there is a grad fair on today but in general it's quite bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Stacks Mad

I live in a housing estate very close to the college and it's an absolute joke they literally block residents into there homes . Billy Cameron the counselor called round and is putting in measures in to have permit parking for residents in the local area .

Well thats what he was claiming anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Stacks Mad wrote: »
    I live in a housing estate very close to the college and it's an absolute joke they literally block residents into there homes . Billy Cameron the counselor called round and is putting in measures in to have permit parking for residents in the local area .

Well thats what he was claiming anyway.

Sure it was cameron and geraghty who got the parking meters put up on the newcastle road..........

That road was worse before they put the yellow lines down!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't understand why people continue to breach their terms of their licence to drive and violate their motor insurance contract by deliberately abandoning their vehicle in an illegal fashion.
    OP, you should've phoned the Garda station and requested a tow truck to remove the offending contraptions.

• Advertisement

If you can imagine there was barely enough space for the car and this truck coming towards me, had the wee man in the back and had to close my eyes. I was petrified. My fiance has emailed local representatives about it (think he feels bad cos we had just come from bringing him something at work he had forgotten!) and is requesting a meeting with some of them. Most of the cars there are L-platers so am wondering are they really parking up that far (I mean just near the entrance to Corrib Village there, on both sides). I was so shaken, not how you want to be with a baby in the back and a bun in the oven! Feel like a whiskey now!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

People park where they see a legal looking parking space. If you have problems with where people park their cars or think that some areas are unsuitable for parking on both sides of the road then get onto the city council to do something about it i.e. paint down more double yellow lines or enforce permit parking. That is what councillors are for, that's why you voted for them.
    Damaging people's private property is uncalled, childinh and stupid for and if someone wrote on my car I'd soon be knocking on the door for an arguement.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

on a related note, why do all those who park along the road insist on having the 4 wheels on the road instead of two on the path as most intelligent folk would do in order to avoid narrowing the roadway ?

westgolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

westgolf wrote: »
    on a related note, why do all those who park along the road insist on having the 4 wheels on the road instead of two on the path as most intelligent folk would do in order to avoid narrowing the roadway ?

westgolf

Parking on a foot path is illegal and will get you a €60 fine, blocking the path for pedestrians, imagine a women / man with a buggy, wheel chair user etc having to go outsiide the car on the road to get by??

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Parking on footpaths is well ignorant man. Sorry, but think. Imagine being in a wheelchair and having to go all the way round the kerbs in the road just to get past someones car? You can actually block someone from getting to their homes if they are wheelchair bound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

if they are not parked on a yellow line or within 10 meters (i think) of a junction or pedestrian crossing they are parked legally and all you can do about it is try and get the council to put down lines or pay and display machines. If you dont have room to meet a truck stop at a wide spot and meet it there like you have to do on many narrow streets in galway eg Dominick street.

I have never actually parked on that part of newcastle road but think it is pointless coming on here to complain about people who are parked legally.

If someone is actually parked blocking your drive call the garda station or the traffic warden and ask them to give them a ticket/remove them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

it's 5 metres from a junction - I try to visualize the length of two small hatchback cars as an approximation since I have very little concept of what 5 metres looks like :o

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

Just walked by this way a while ago.

All cars parked on the left on Newcastle Road inbound, between the Corrib Village entrance and the houses a few hundred yards up from it, have been ticketed.

So clearly they are indeed breaking the law in some way!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Good to see something being done about this. And now to await the inevitable over-the-top response where they'll put in P&D 6 day parking on one side of the road with an hourly rate in excess of central Dublin and the Labours of Hercules to be re-enacted if you want a resident's permit.

If you can imagine there was barely enough space for the car and this truck coming towards me, had the wee man in the back and had to close my eyes.
    Please tell me what you drive so I can give you a wide berth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

westgolf wrote: »

westgolf

maybe because the footpath is for pedestrians, wheelchairs, buggys, and prams or do they not count once you are in a car :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Just walked by this way a while ago.

All cars parked on the left on Newcastle Road inbound, between the Corrib Village entrance and the houses a few hundred yards up from it, have been ticketed.

So clearly they are indeed breaking the law in some way!

I happened to hear about this on Keith Finnegan radio show yesterday. Apparently on sections of road where there is an unbroken white line in the middle of the road it is illegal to park on either side of that line. This is the case in several parts of Newcastle.

Somebody from the city council was on saying that parking ticket wardens would be out in force in the Newcastle area in the next weeks and months and aimed to ticket everyone breaking this law.

It is absolutely necessary on the roads and in the estates surrounding the college but they seem to be extending it further. The man speaking about it also mentioned Corrib Park, Highfield Park and Ardilaun Road (or was it an Ardilaun estate?) where they have these white lines in areas so that refuse trucks etc can move freely. In these areas it's usually residents and visitors who park outside houses so I can see it causing trouble if they are also going to be ticketed.

I stopped my car and closed my eyes as the truck was coming at speed so I either ploughed into it or stayed there and waited for it to hit, it simply hit back my mirrors but genuinely I don't know how it didn't do more damage. You don't need to keep a wide berth, I'm a good driver but get terribly nervous when a truck comes towards me at speed with cars on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Somebody from the city council was on saying that parking ticket wardens would be out in force in the Newcastle area in the next weeks and months and aimed to ticket everyone breaking this law.

It is absolutely necessary on the roads and in the estates surrounding the college but they seem to be extending it further. The man speaking about it also mentioned Corrib Park, Highfield Park and Ardilaun Road (or was it an Ardilaun estate?) where they have these white lines in areas so that refuse trucks etc can move freely. In these areas it's usually residents and visitors who park outside houses so I can see it causing trouble if they are also going to be ticketed.

I live in Highfield, and the only yellow lines I've noticed are at the entrance to the estate. The council did, however, but the towns most dangerous speedbump in there a few months ago. They moved them 2 months after it was requested, but failed to make them any safer!!

As for parking with 2 wheels on the path, most residents in Highfield do this. I've had a few smart comments made to me because I don't park on the path for the reasons someone gave earlier in the thread; it blocks wheelchairs and buggies. That said, I don't park opposite where someone else is already parked in case it stops traffic/bin lorries from getting through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Apparently on sections of road where there is an unbroken white line in the middle of the road it is illegal to park on either side of that line.

I never came across this before so can't say if it's true or not, the same thing happens outside the new development in Oranmore (Opposite the thatch) where there is a continous white line but no yellow lines on the side of the road so when cars park there you have to cross the continous line. You would think they would have put down double yellow lines if that was the case

In my opinion if there are no markings on the road it's okay to park there bar near junctions, motorways, pedestrian crossings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

I never came across this before so can't say if it's true or not, the same thing happens outside the new development in Oranmore (Opposite the thatch) where there is a continous white line but no yellow lines on the side of the road so when cars park there you have to cross the continous line. You would think they would have put down double yellow lines if that was the case

In my opinion if there are no markings on the road it's okay to park there bar near junctions, motorways, pedestrian crossings etc

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/parking/no-parking_disc-parking.html
    "Even if you do not see a particular "no parking" sign or yellow line on the road, you must not stop or park:...where there is a single or double continuous white line along the centre of the road;"

• Advertisement

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/parking/no-parking_disc-parking.html
    "Even if you do not see a particular "no parking" sign or yellow line on the road, you must not stop or park:...where there is a single or double continuous white line along the centre of the road;"
    Cheers, it may be in the recent rules of the road but thats only good for people that have passed their test recently. I passed my arctic test around 4 years ago so covered all the rules back then and wasn't aware of this.

I think most people wouldn't be aware of it whereas most drivers know about yellow lines

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't know why people are so reluctant to use the park and ride. It's almost as close as where they're parking anyway and the bus goes very regularly. My husband uses it every day pretty much.

The park and ride is a minute of a walk from where these cars were parked. I agree Das Kitty.

Isn't there a charge for using it. I know there was a stink kicked up in NUIG last year when the staff were told they had to use it, I'll have to find out what is happening now.

These are unionised staff so I don't expect they want to facilitate anyone or anything ever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks for that Mollie. I couldn't find the link myself. I think they said on the radio that it was a new addition to the rules of the road. It was certainly new to me.
    Fey! wrote: »
    I live in Highfield, and the only yellow lines I've noticed are at the entrance to the estate. *The council did, however, but the towns most dangerous speedbump in there a few months ago. *They moved them 2 months after it was requested, but failed to make them any safer!!

As for parking with 2 wheels on the path, most residents in Highfield do this. *I've had a few smart comments made to me because I don't park on the path for the reasons someone gave earlier in the thread; it blocks wheelchairs and buggies. *That said, I don't park opposite where someone else is already parked in case it stops traffic/bin lorries from getting through.

Fey it's not the yellow lines in question here but the unbroken white lines that run up the middle of the street in sections of Highfield. You cannot legally park on either side of them now. They certainly run past some houses in Highfield. Hopefully your house isn't affected by it.

I think it would be very cynical of the council to start ticketing in Highfield. I've never seen any traffic problems there (other than the ramps) or problems with bin lorries.

Fair play for not parking on the path even if the neighbours don't like it. It's also important there as there are occasionally some kids passing up those roads to get to school & they are safer on the path so it's important that they can get through.

Isn't there a charge for using it. I know there was a stink kicked up in NUIG last year when the staff were told they had to use it, I'll have to find out what is happening now.

These are unionised staff so I don't expect they want to facilitate anyone or anything ever

It's €50 per year. Probably the cheapest paid parking in all of the city. And, most of the cars parked on the Newcastle road actually have permits anyway. You can't park anywhere on campus without a permit or P&D.

Can anybody use this?

Initially it was to be used as extra staff parking as there wasn't enough on campus and there is less and less with the extra building going on. OH's sister works there and she had a permit to park but the trouble is finding a spot, they were supposed to use this park from the start of the college year 2009 but the union told them no way as they had to pay for the bus from the park to the college

I hadn't asked since what happened but it looks like we the taxpayer built a carpark for a certain purpose and the union nobbled that idea and the college is now trying to recoup the costs at a charge of €50 a year per car. Doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

I may be incorrect in all this so if anyone knows anymore fill me in

Can anybody use this?

Initially it was to be used as extra staff parking as there wasn't enough on campus and there is less and less with the extra building going on. OH's sister works there and she had a permit to park but the trouble is finding a spot, they were supposed to use this park from the start of the college year 2009 but the union told them no way as they had to pay for the bus from the park to the college

I hadn't asked since what happened but it looks like we the taxpayer built a carpark for a certain purpose and the union nobbled that idea and the college is now trying to recoup the costs at a charge of €50 a year per car. Doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

I may be incorrect in all this so if anyone knows anymore fill me in

No only college staff and students can use it. The €50 is to pay for the bus that regularly goes between the carpark and the main campus. The university built it on their own land, afaik the council were never involved.

Oh and it's always more than half empty.

Cheers for that, I must ask her is she using it or has the parking situation improved on campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

This street parking and the near misses with commuters are an effect of poor planning for college parking and weak local politicians who couldn't stick a bypass around the city in boom time.

Loads of new college buildings with lovely glass fronts on them without a multi-storey car park or a park and ride option for cyclists or busses.

Beep beep...road rage and thanks god its nearly Friday.

roadrage500.jpg

Advertisement