Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle Road parking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Fey! wrote: »
    I live in Highfield, and the only yellow lines I've noticed are at the entrance to the estate. The council did, however, but the towns most dangerous speedbump in there a few months ago. They moved them 2 months after it was requested, but failed to make them any safer!!

As for parking with 2 wheels on the path, most residents in Highfield do this. I've had a few smart comments made to me because I don't park on the path for the reasons someone gave earlier in the thread; it blocks wheelchairs and buggies. That said, I don't park opposite where someone else is already parked in case it stops traffic/bin lorries from getting through.

I live in Highfield as well. It's sometimes quite tight for us to swing into our driveway because cars are parked on both sides; that's with them parked half on footpaths. I think we could forget about getting in or out of our driveway or indeed up/down the street if people parked fully on the roads on both sides (however, I'm not under any illusions about the problems faced by buggies/wheelchairs/pedestrians when people park half on the path. As someone who walks a lot, I'm often forced onto the road to get around parked cars). A huge part of the problem is some people are too lazy to use their driveways. Off the top of my head, roughly 70% of the driveways on our street can fit 2 cars; most houses have 2 cars (some have 3); quite a few houses don't put 2 cars in their double driveway...

We had a single driveway and got it widened when we got a second car 5 or 6 years ago.
    ArraMusha wrote: »
    This street parking and the near misses with commuters are an effect of poor planning for college parking and weak local politicians who couldn't stick a bypass around the city in boom time.

Loads of new college buildings with lovely glass fronts on them without a multi-storey car park or a park and ride option for cyclists or busses.

Beep beep...road rage and thanks god its nearly Friday.

I don't understand why NUIG ever thought it would be a good idea to build a horrible low-rise sprawling campus. It's now so big/sprawled that they had to introduce buses to move people around the campus. Madness!!

A neat cluster of medium-rise buildings with a couple of big multi-storey car parks and loads of covered bicycle parking spaces would have been much better. The university would be a lot more efficient and the could have sold off a lot of valuable land (or never even bought it in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

KevR wrote: »
    I live in Highfield as well.....A huge part of the problem is some people are too lazy to use their driveways. Off the top of my head, roughly 70% of the driveways on our street can fit 2 cars; most houses have 2 cars (some have 3); quite a few houses don't put 2 cars in their double driveway...

We had a single driveway and got it widened when we got a second car 5 or 6 years ago.

we widened our drive several years ago, too. it should fit 3 cars, but unfortunately I crashed one and can't get rid of it until the insurance decide what they're doing, so it's taking up a valuable parking space. It means that when everyone is home, someone has to park on the street. (I want the wreck gone; it makes the place look like a particular type of campsite!!)

I must watch out for the white lines in the estate; I haven't notced them.

KevR; have you had any near misses with people coming around the corner in the middle of the road between the two speed bumps? I've seen a few near miisses so far, but the city council doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

KevR wrote: »
    I don't understand why NUIG ever thought it would be a good idea to build a horrible low-rise sprawling campus. It's now so big/sprawled that they had to introduce buses to move people around the campus. Madness!!

To my eyes, most places in the republic look like [horrible] low-rise sprawl. It looks to me like most Irish people are trying to maximise the distance between them and the next [house, office, building, place in the supermarket queue, etc].

Re the bit about parking on a road with a solid white line down the centre: my understanding is that it's illegal to park in a way that would force passing motorists to cross the solid white line. So even if you parked a couple of metres before/after it, it could still be illegal if you are forcing someone else to do illegal things. OTOH, if the road is two lanes wide and other traffic can get past you while still staying on the righteous side, that's ok. Granted that's not what the linky (which is only a summary of the law) says, but I'm sure I've seen it that way somewhere else - and it makes sense that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

maybe because the footpath is for pedestrians, wheelchairs, buggys, and prams or do they not count once you are in a car :rolleyes:

would you prefer so if the ambulance or fire truck coming to rescue you was delayed by non-thinking idiots who should use a bit of common sense especially where the path is nearly as wide as the road

westgolf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

westgolf wrote: »
    would you prefer so if the ambulance or fire truck coming to rescue you was delayed by non-thinking idiots who should use a bit of common sense especially where the path is nearly as wide as the road

westgolf

an ambulance would most likely be coming to rescue you BECAUSE OF IDIOTS who park on FOOTpaths forcing people in wheelchairs/with buggies onto a busy main road and placing them in serious danger.

Seriously, I saw a perfect example of it today right across from hospital where a van was parked on footpath (with hazzards on, so it's ok:rolleyes:) and guy in wheelchair had to wheel himself out on busy main road until he cleared it therefore stopping a big row of traffic coming through that junction (he'd no choice really)

Don't park on footpaths...besides been illegal it's just plain ignorant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

westgolf wrote: »

westgolf

I'd prefer if people just obeyed the rules of the road really...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I'd prefer if people just obeyed the rules of the road really...

And even better if they both obeyed the rules AND used a bit of cop-on: there are some places where you just shouldn't park (eg both sides of a narrow street), no matter what lines are painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

The Park & Ride is a joke. No bus before 8.30, between 11.00 and 13.00, between 14.00 and 16.00 and between 19.00 and 22.20. If everyone had a 9-5 day it would be fantastic! That said it's only a 20 minute walk from main campus which is OK until the weather turns.

I can't understand how someone would be so ignorant as to block the main road or block a driveway seeing as the P&R is a 5 minute walk away from that area. People are so lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

schween wrote: »
    The Park & Ride is a joke. No bus before 8.30, between 11.00 and 13.00, between 14.00 and 16.00 and between 19.00 and 22.20. If everyone had a 9-5 day it would be fantastic! That said it's only a 20 minute walk from main campus which is OK until the weather turns.

I can't understand how someone would be so ignorant as to block the main road or block a driveway seeing as the P&R is a 5 minute walk away from that area. People are so lazy!

Nail on head

Advertisement