Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1999 Ford Focus track rod end replacement.

Options
  • 11-10-2010 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭

How do you remove the track rod bar from a Focus? :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭rugalo

is it the track rod or the track rod end you need to replace?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

rugalo wrote: »
    is it the track rod or the track rod end you need to replace?
    The actual bar.

lhs side.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I think there is a tool you can get that slides over the full tie rod and uses rollers like in a one way clutch set up to grab the inner nut and turn it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Take off the gaiter on the rack and twist the part where the rod threads into the rack. You will need a big grips or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭rugalo

ok tie rod.the first thing to do is loosen the lock nut it's a 22mm or 24mm open end spanner, then remove the 15mm nut that connects the tie rod end to the knuckle.when this is done unwind the tie rod end NB.before you start it would be wise to count the threads left on the bar so you dont offset your wheel alignment too much.remove the steering rack gaiter clips with a set of pliers,remove the gaiter.turn the steering full lock to the left and using a big vice grip grab the ball tight and "shock" it loose (a vice grip will work, but you have to shock it dont just pull on it, theres not enough leverage).then reverse removal using some thread lock.

rugalo wrote: »
    ok tie rod.the first thing to do is loosen the lock nut it's a 22mm or 24mm open end spanner, then remove the 15mm nut that connects the tie rod end to the knuckle.when this is done unwind the tie rod end NB.before you start it would be wise to count the threads left on the bar so you dont offset your wheel alignment too much.remove the steering rack gaiter clips with a set of pliers,remove the gaiter.turn the steering full lock to the left and using a big vice grip grab the ball tight and "shock" it loose (a vice grip will work, but you have to shock it dont just pull on it, theres not enough leverage).then reverse removal using some thread lock.
    Thanks for the advice, i'll just show you a few pictures so that I can explain it a bit better.

The bent one.
    DSCF0414.jpg
    The new one.
    DSCF0415.jpg
    The new one can be grabbed with a spanner but the old one doesnt have the straight edges?

The bent one must be treaded too? Where can i grab it from?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Hammer and a chisel should shock it into movin if the vice grips fails to get it loose

Cheers i got it i was put of by a hole through the spurious part and thought there was a locking pin or somthing that went through the old one but there wasnt. Sound for the help dudes!;)DSCF0416.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Sitec wrote: »
    Cheers i got it i was put of by a hole through the spurious part and thought there was a locking pin or somthing that went through the old one but there wasnt. Sound for the help dudes!;)DSCF0416.jpg
    Forgot to say a dot of locktight on the threads are no harm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement