Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw milk

Options
  • 11-10-2010 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hey does anybody here know where I could get raw milk in the Dublin\Wicklow area?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its illegal to sell it. I heard of some people getting it direct from farmers, or "under the counter" in farmers markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I grew up on it, and still have it every time I go home for a visit but doubt you'll find any dairy farmer to buy it from- the risks are too great. I saw a report one time of the risks from unpasteurised milk- I dunno how I'm still living.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

This is an extract from Kansas State Uni from 2009 of an FSAI article FSAI, Vol 11, Issue 5 on raw milk drinking in Ireland. Anyone interested in food safety check out the KSU website, it has an amazing newsletter system of updates from around the world. I posted the whole article to highlight the great risks of consuming raw milk. Cheese made from raw milk should also be labelled that it may contain Listeria.

A small number of people continue to drink raw milk in Ireland contrary to the advice of food safety and public health professionals. Advocates of raw milk consumption claim additional nutritional qualities, taste and health benefits as reasons for this practice. However, science-based data to substantiate these claims are limited. The risk to health from drinking raw milk has been known for well over a hundred years. Yet, today, illness linked to raw milk consumption continues to be reported from many parts of the world. A range of pathogens are involved. Among the most notable are Campylobacter spp., E. coli O157:H7, Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella spp. These can have serious consequences for health, particularly in vulnerable groups such as children, older people, people in poor health and pregnant women.
    It is very easy for harmful bacteria to get into raw milk, either directly in the case of mastitis or from environmental contamination in the dairy during milking. Once contaminated, raw milk is a perfect environment for harmful bugs to grow and proliferate. Pasteurisation is an effective method of killing harmful bacteria and rendering milk safe to drink.
    In the United States, several milk-borne disease outbreaks have occurred over the past ten years which have been traced to the consumption of raw unpasteurised milk. One of the most recent outbreaks involving Campylobacter jejuni caused illness in 35 people, most of whom were children. In July of this year, three Swiss children suffered from Staphylococcus aureus intoxication following the consumption of raw goat’s milk. In Germany, raw milk consumption by children during visits to farms resulted in serious long term illness from infections with E. coli O157:H7.
    In Ireland in 2005, drinking raw milk on a dairy farm was linked to a family outbreak of tuberculosis, with the disease having a very severe impact on the health of two young children. While the likelihood of acquiring tuberculosis from the consumption of raw milk is very low, it nevertheless remains a distinct possibility, as the herd incidence of bovine tuberculosis is reported to be around 5%. There is a greater possibility of infection with E. coli O157:H7 or verocytoxin producing E. coli (VTEC) from the consumption of raw milk.
    Prior to 2006, Ireland had national legislation which prohibited the sale of raw cow’s milk. However, in 2006, this national legislation was rescinded with the introduction of new EU hygiene legislation. Nonetheless, this EU legislation allows a Member State to choose to prohibit or restrict the sale of raw milk or cream in its own territory. The FSAI would encourage and very much welcome a return to such national legislation. The potential public health risks associated with the consumption of raw milk are well documented. The effectiveness of pasteurisation as a preventive measure is beyond scientific doubt.
    A return to a prohibition on raw milk sale will not meet with universal appeal. Opponents will argue for the right and freedom to choose, but such freedom should be limited for the greater good. Children, who often have no choice, must be protected. Adults also have the right not be served or sold raw milk without their knowledge. Of course, the standards of milk production in Ireland are much improved and there is already a general legal obligation on all food producers to market only safe food. Pasteurisation of milk removes any doubt about safety. Science, history and experience points clearly in its favour. The FSAI believes that it would serve the greater good to require again by law, that only pasteurised milk is made available to our population and, crucially, our children.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I must say the law is an ass here, raw milk illegal, HFCS , have as much as you like. So its ok to set up a third of our kids for type 2 diabetes but they have got our backs that some people "might" catch something from raw milk.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I must say the law is an ass here, raw milk illegal, HFCS , have as much as you like. So its ok to set up a third of our kids for type 2 diabetes but they have got our backs that some people "might" catch something from raw milk.

You obviously didn't read my post, its not illegal but they don't recommend you drink it. Alot of people who remember drinking it grew up on the farm were there body had built up anti-bodies to any bacteria that may be in the milk but today most of us live away from farms so raw milk is a greater risk. Also raw milk can be a source of Listeria which apart from killing you can cause foetus to abort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

The scaremongering about raw milk is ridiculous, same applies to the discussion about cheeses made from raw milk.

We are in 2010 and science allow us to enjoy something so beautiful as raw milk with the due precautions; in Italy raw milk is sold in automated machines, obviously what comes in there is analysed and raw milk makes 10% of the entire nation milk (souce: http://www.realmilk.com/happening-other.html#italy).

In Ireland milk is a lot better than Italy because you don't make so much cheese but it seems that it is illegal to sell raw milk, I understand that 100 years ago raw milk was dangerous because of TBC and so on, but with what we know now, if the proper safeguards and analysis are in place, raw milk should be enjoyed.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    You obviously didn't read my post, its not illegal but they don't recommend you drink it. Alot of people who remember drinking it grew up on the farm were there body had built up anti-bodies to any bacteria that may be in the milk but today most of us live away from farms so raw milk is a greater risk. Also raw milk can be a source of Listeria which apart from killing you can cause foetus to abort.

If the milk is infected by TBC or salmonella, it is most likely that your body develops death rather than anti-bodies.

The scaremongering about raw milk is ridiculous, same applies to the discussion about cheeses made from raw milk.

We are in 2010 and science allow us to enjoy something so beautiful as raw milk with the due precautions; in Italy raw milk is sold in automated machines, obviously what comes in there is analysed and raw milk makes 10% of the entire nation milk (souce: http://www.realmilk.com/happening-other.html#italy).

In Ireland milk is a lot better than Italy because you don't make so much cheese but it seems that it is illegal to sell raw milk, I understand that 100 years ago raw milk was dangerous because of TBC and so on, but with what we know now, if the proper safeguards and analysis are in place, raw milk should be enjoyed.

Its not illegal since the hygiene package was adopted if you read the article from the FSAI. But traditional people in Ireland got raw milk from the farmer without any analysis for TBC, The dairy industry would be unwilling to supply raw milk, the low sales wouldnt be worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I'd like to try raw milk, its how natural intended and would give my antibodies a workout, they have nothing to fight that's why I'm allergic to dust and hay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

A few Raw Cheeses here now, I buy St Tola Goat's Cheese which is made from Raw Goat's Milk.

I also buy a Raw Butter from Cavistons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I also buy a Raw Butter from Cavistons.
    is there much difference in taste? is it expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

After seeing a report on Ear to the Ground recently showing unpasturized milk is beneficial to kids who suffer for allergies . I was contemplating giving unpasteurized milk to my 20 month old who suffers from what im told is asthma. He is constantly on inhalers during this type of weather. Its not hereditary and no one in the family suffers from any allergies. Any views

http://www.rte.ie/tv/fourlive/2010/1115/eartotheground040.html

I know i did see the bit about the family in Cork who got Bruscellious, hence my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭deisemum

I grew up on a dairy farm and I was a premature baby born 6 weeks early back in the mid 60's.

Once I was home from hospital I was given fresh milk that was boiled and then strained through a tea towel as well as starting on solids at 6 weeks old which would have been around my due date. That was the norm back then.

My dad had the milk tested at the lab on a regular basis to ensure he got the premium rate and not rely on the lab technician employed by the dairy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

serenacat wrote: »
    I'd like to try raw milk, its how natural intended and would give my antibodies a workout, they have nothing to fight that's why I'm allergic to dust and hay.

Nature intended us to consume milk from other animals? :pac:

just to get back in topic, Sheridans have been selling raw milk during some of the past weekends, follow them on twitter to get more info :D

rubadub wrote: »
    is there much difference in taste? is it expensive?

It's quite expensive alright, around €20 a KG.

ALl Superquinns stock it - Sheridans and Nourish do it also.

It's my favourite Goat's cheese by a mile.

The Butter I spoke of comes from France and is also much nicer than any other butter I've tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

amber2 wrote: »
    After seeing a report on Ear to the Ground recently showing unpasturized milk is beneficial to kids who suffer for allergies . I was contemplating giving unpasteurized milk to my 20 month old who suffers from what im told is asthma. He is constantly on inhalers during this type of weather. Its not hereditary and no one in the family suffers from any allergies. Any views

http://www.rte.ie/tv/fourlive/2010/1115/eartotheground040.html

I know i did see the bit about the family in Cork who got Bruscellious, hence my post.

I look upon the TB thing the way I look upon getting in my car, because apparently driving on roads increases the risk, though small, of dying in an accident.

Bought the raw milk from Sheridan's yesterday, 1 eu for 1 lt (pretty good value).

Drank a glass yesterday and a glass this morning, no boiling, no warming; great taste.

I'm writing this post so I suppose I'm still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭IR

Hey, all just updating a couple of threads I found about Raw Milk.
    It was banned here in 1996, but then EU directive superseded this law and currently sale of raw milk in Ireland is legal.

However the Minister for Agriculture now plans to ban it once again, thereby removing our right to choose for ourselves what we wish to consume...

It is certainly not appropriate for ever dairy farm in Ireland to be allowed to sell raw milk, what is appropriate is a system of regulations including clear advisory labels etc for those who do so that consumers can then make an informed choice.

See more details on this recent thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=73027858

Madness.

Sure that means that even companies like St Tola won't be able to produce their unpasteurised cheeses.

• Advertisement

Hi Pete.

The Minister has stated that he has no plans at all to ban the sale of raw milk cheese. This ban relates only to the sale of raw liquid milk to consumers...
    At least that's a small relief!

IR wrote: »
    Hi Pete.

The Minister has stated that he has no plans at all to ban the sale of raw milk cheese. This ban relates only to the sale of raw liquid milk to consumers...
    At least that's a small relief!

Makes even less sense so :p

They want the sale of liquid milk banned because of the dangers of potentially harmful pathogens, but if they existed in the milk, they will be prolific in soft chesses made from said milk (as it will be made from unpasteurised milk).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hey, all just updating all the threads I can find about Raw Milk.

Well stop. There's no need to bump multiple threads that are years old.

That's true in many ways and another oxymoron is that raw milk butter will not be banned.

There are however differences in the cheese making process which do contribute to a lowering of risk including the raised acidity levels. This is especially true of harder cheeses with a longer aging process but less so of soft and fresh cheeses...

One of the biggest differences in risk is the longer window available for testing prior to sale - but again this is not the case with fresh or young cheeses, and in any event the law here does not require all cheese to be tested before entering the market...

Well stop. There's no need to bump multiple threads that are years old.

all of them bar one had relatively recent posts - just making sure all the participants asking the question were pointed in the right direction relating to what I think is an important issue.

Thanks for understanding...

Ps - it was just 3 threads total...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

was in France recently - while most French ppl just buy UHT milk in the tourist areas you can usually get "lait frais" (ie regular pasteurised milk) and the big supermarkets all seem to sell "lait cru" (unpasteurised) also, in the same plastic bottles from the same manufacturers. Why is it ok there and not here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

loyatemu wrote: »
    was in France recently - while most French ppl just buy UHT milk in the tourist areas you can usually get "lait frais" (ie regular pasteurised milk) and the big supermarkets all seem to sell "lait cru" (unpasteurised) also, in the same plastic bottles from the same manufacturers. Why is it ok there and not here?

It is something that baffles many producers here - Why we as Ireland always have to think that for some reason we need to do things 'better' than the rest of Europe - be stricter and impose more regulations - or in this case an outright ban.
    Lots of people I speak to explain it because of our relatively new food culture. Where the French have so many food traditions, and food was perhaps always considered a more important part of everyday life, we maybe don't have the same tie to our food traditions for some reason???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It is something that baffles many producers here - Why we as Ireland always have to think that for some reason we need to do things 'better' than the rest of Europe - be stricter and impose more regulations - or in this case an outright ban.
    Lots of people I speak to explain it because of our relatively new food culture. Where the French have so many food traditions, and food was perhaps always considered a more important part of everyday life, we maybe don't have the same tie to our food traditions for some reason???

I think that explains it very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement