Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jerky/stiff brake levers

• 11-10-2010 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

When I pull (Ultegra) my front brake (And to a lesser extent, the back), the lever is a bit stiff and isn't a smooth continuous motion.

I had this problem before and service solved the problem, but they are slowly starting to get worse again. What did the shop do and how can I prevent this from happening in future? If it's lubrication, what and how do I lube and with what?

I heard it was water getting into the cables...

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

yep. new cables and housing.The cables are prob sticking in the housing.Some people spray wd40 into housing at the start. I put in Silicone spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

bcmf wrote: »
    yep. new cables and housing.The cables are prob sticking in the housing.Some people spray wd40 into housing at the start. I put in Silicone spray.

What's the general lifespan of brake cables? Could they snap if I didn't replace them, or would spraying them now fix the problem?

Also is it an easy job to do yourself?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

best of just replacing them now for the winter. Easy enough. Get yerself a decent cable cutter.There is a guy who I got Jagwires off and they were great.I will pm you his email as I have just ordered a set off him. He deals on ebay but will deal off as well
    lifespan is hard to say.depends on use weather etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

nitrogen wrote: »
    What's the general lifespan of brake cables? Could they snap if I didn't replace them, or would spraying them now fix the problem?

Also is it an easy job to do yourself?

Thanks

Brake cables should last years and years. When you disconnect the cable from the caliper, move the caliper in and out by hand and make sure the caliper itself is not siezed. when you push the brake pads into the wheel, they should spring back fully when you release them. If they move back slowly, then the caliper needs some lubrication.

Advertisement