Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I doubt Mary Byrne will get much further and why they're allowing Irish people to

Options
  • 11-10-2010 5:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

vote this year...

The reason we're being allowed to vote is because Mary Byrne is so good, and adds such variety to the show, that they don't want her to go out embarrassingly early. So they want the Irish vote for her.

Even Susan Boyle who was in England did not win Britain's Got Talent. Why? Because by far the majority of the vote are by teenagers voting over and over for their act. As time goes on and older people get jaded with making expensive phonecalls to X-Factor year after year with no tangible return, it's getting worse and the vote is getting more ridiculous.

Susan Boyle had an advantage because she was the "first" older woman (even though I always disliked Susan Boyle, but I love Mary). She had the media blitz campaigns, she was on CNN, she blew up into a huge sensation around the world.... and even then she couldn't get enough votes to win it....

So that is why they're allowing the Irish vote this year, because they're desperate to keep Susan "Mary" in for as long as possible because she is probably the best or in the top 3 anyway of the acts.

EDIT: Fixed the mistake. You can always rely on people online to point out your grammatical and obvious mistakes, thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

So that is why they're allowing the Irish vote this year, because they're desperate to keep Susan in for as long as possible because she is probably the best or in the top 3 anyway of the acts.

Mary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

vote this year...

The reason we're being allowed to vote is because Mary Byrne is so good, and adds such variety to the show, that they don't want her to go out embarrassingly early. So they want the Irish vote for her.

Even Susan Boyle who was in England did not win Britain's Got Talent. Why? Because by far the majority of the vote are by teenagers voting over and over for their act. As time goes on and older people get jaded with making expensive phonecalls to X-Factor year after year with no tangible return, it's getting worse and the vote is getting more ridiculous.

Susan Boyle had an advantage because she was the "first" older woman (even though I always disliked Susan Boyle, but I love Mary). She had the media blitz campaigns, she was on CNN, she blew up into a huge sensation around the world.... and even then she couldn't get enough votes to win it....

So that is why they're allowing the Irish vote this year, because they're desperate to keep Susan in for as long as possible because she is probably the best or in the top 3 anyway of the acts.
    At the end of that I am a little confused!

Anyway i agree with the teenage thing, little like the Eurovision, we can see the talented acts but popularity always wins the twits over.

On Susan, i think people tired of her being everywhere. Hopefully Mary won't make the mistake of doing ever mag deal offered and won't bombard us with the "I started off in Tesco....".

Don't think she will win, but if she plays it safe she could have a very prosperous career after the x factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I think Mary would want to keep a lid on her ego, she might know she is talented, but the public will turn against her.
    Connie made some comment on Sunday night about her being special and Mary agreed with her and said 'I know'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Walked into Tesco Galway yesterday. First thing I met was a lifesize cardboard Mary. Hope they are paying her for it. She seems to be a bit over- exposed alright. Was on Mooney today. If I did vote in these things too much publicity would put me off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

It would be a lot better if there was exposure without her appearing to create it. If there was exposure of this "Mary Byrne phenomenon" rocking the world... rather than her giving interviews on the radio where it's like as though she's creating it and pushing it herself.

I think it's positive though that she doesn't freeze up in front of the camera, knowing that her entire life could be hanging in the balance on every word she says and trying to say what she thinks people will want to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dudeitshurley

i really dont think letting us vote has anything to do with mary. More to do with it making simon a few more quid. Simon could care less whether she stays in or not, he has SuBo and knows the market for a similar type is probably tiny and not worth putting his weight behind exploiting. With or without the irish vote, mary is in absolutely no danger for at least 6 weeks, she's head and shoulders above 80% of the contestants, whether she's irish, iraqi or whatever.

As for 'tangible return' when would you ever get one from voting on a talent show?? you vote to support an act presumably because you want to see them the following week, you never get anything (tangible or otherwise) in return for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I think Mary will be safe for weeks and weeks to come, no real chance of winnign though - as ws previously stated its kids who make up most of the vote.

I personally don't really like her - I've taken agin her! I can't explain it. I must be the only person not to like her in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Her songs that she sings will be a major factor (pardon the pun:P) in how long she stays.And that is down to her mentor.If he wants her to stay he will make her appeal to the public at large.And perhaps the older people will vote in higher amounts with someone they want to hear in a record.

And now calling it a fix for Mary :rolleyes:
    http://www.list.co.uk/article/30028-mary-byrne-in-x-factor-fix-blast/

The Irish supermarket worker has faced criticism from fans of the show after bosses at the store she works at emailed 300,000 staff members to remind them to pick up the telephone and support her.

A Tesco spokesperson told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "We are fully supportive of Mary and so are her friends and colleagues, but as to how anyone votes, that is up to them."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I love the bit about Simon sitting in the bath eating, ice cream and watching cartoons - the guy is a touch of class!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

caseyann wrote: »
    And now calling it a fix for Mary :rolleyes:
    http://www.list.co.uk/article/30028-mary-byrne-in-x-factor-fix-blast/

The Irish supermarket worker has faced criticism from fans of the show after bosses at the store she works at emailed 300,000 staff members to remind them to pick up the telephone and support her.

A Tesco spokesperson told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "We are fully supportive of Mary and so are her friends and colleagues, but as to how anyone votes, that is up to them."

lol That is a ridiculously ignorant statement for Tesco to make. What business of theirs is it to get involved? Good free marketing which is genius on their part but that comment implies that they are a great X-Factor fan like any other John Doe watching the show

lol That is a ridiculously ignorant statement for Tesco to make. What business of theirs is it to get involved? Good free marketing which is genius on their part but that comment implies that they are a great X-Factor fan like any other John Doe watching the show

Even though they might stick out like a grown man at a teenage girls' slumber party, I don't see why it's particularly that ignorant. They're showing their support and encouraging people to vote for her. Stupid...? Maybe... Money-driven? Of course... but for me not ignorant.

You can be as cynical as you like about it (and I would be quite cynical), but I wouldn't call any marketing stunt "ridiculously ignorant" if it was something that worked. People represent their schools, regions, sometimes they represent their companies in games... so for me the idea of them supporting Mary isn't complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

vote this year...

Is that the 'real' reason or just your 'own' opinion?

Do you have actual evidence to back that statement up?

The Irish were going to be allowed vote this year regardless of whether Mary was in it or not!!!!

It was agreed the Irish could vote when the contract was signed to come to Ireland......Mary has nothing to do with the Irish being allowed to vote!

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!! :D

Dilynnio wrote: »
    Is that the 'real' reason or just your 'own' opinion?

Do you have actual evidence to back that statement up?

Okay, well I THINK that that's the reason. I didn't think that it required me to say "I think" there because I thought it was obvious I was giving an opinion.
    The Irish were going to be allowed vote this year regardless of whether Mary was in it or not!!!!

According to your own logic you should state that you THINK that the Irish were going to be allowed vote this year whether Mary was in it or not. Hypocrisy much?
    It was agreed the Irish could vote when the contract was signed to come to Ireland......Mary has nothing to do with the Irish being allowed to vote!

That's not true. It was big news for a while (well, in the rags that is :D) where Louis was trying to get them to allow the Irish to vote, especially since Ireland's acts were in it.

http://www.goldenplec.com/2010/10/08/x-factor-opens-voting-ireland/

You just made up that the Irish were allowed to vote from the start because that's what sounded right to you and you negligently just threw it there as a fact, even though it contradicted what I said. Then you ask ME for sources even though it was obvious it was my opinion, and everyone else realised that except you. Please be more careful in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Apparently the number of people voting in the early shows is well down in comparison with later shows. It can give a distorted picture of the contestants popularity.

Like the OP said, the public (and that includes the Irish public) may get jaded and fed up of Mary - particularly if she appears in the same outfit every week (black) and sings the same type of song every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Okay, well I THINK that that's the reason. I didn't think that it required me to say "I think" there because I thought it was obvious I was giving an opinion.

According to your own logic you should state that you THINK that the Irish were going to be allowed vote this year whether Mary was in it or not. Hypocrisy much?

That's not true. It was big news for a while (well, in the rags that is :D) where Louis was trying to get them to allow the Irish to vote, especially since Ireland's acts were in it.

http://www.goldenplec.com/2010/10/08/x-factor-opens-voting-ireland/

You just made up that the Irish were allowed to vote from the start because that's what sounded right to you and you negligently just threw it there as a fact, even though it contradicted what I said. Then you ask ME for sources even though it was obvious it was my opinion, and everyone else realised that except you. Please be more careful in the future.

Fair play to you for going off and spending so much effort getting an answer. I would not be able to fault it only for what I have been told.

But what you read in that link of goldenplec was decided way before the auditions took place.

A friend of mine took part in setting up the phone lines and sourcing the routes to make the calls and they have been sourcing this since last Feb/March.......which was before the auditions took place.

So who knows who is right and who is wrong but that is fact from a reliable source.

Jeez I have forgotten why I even care so much!!!lol!

Anyway enjoy the show and keep voting! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

First thing I met was a lifesize cardboard Mary. Hope they are paying her for it.

In fairness, they are giving her an unspecified time off work; why shouldnt they get something in return???

In fairness, they are giving her an unspecified time off work; why shouldnt they get something in return???

I didnt realise she was getting paid while she had the time off. If that is the case then fair enough. On another note, the Tesco sponsorship was discussed on Mooney today. Apparently they had booked the advert slot before Mary was involved in the shake up. One of the contributors said he had been reading the discussion on Boards.ie so now we are all famous B-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

I didnt realise she was getting paid while she had the time off. If that is the case then fair enough.

I wouldn't have thought she would be getting paid. I'd say Tesco are basically keeping her job open for her. Would imagine she would have to clock in and out to be paid like most supermarket chains, and would only be entitled to paid holidays. Correct me if i'm wrong though

Thats what I thought hence I said I hoped she was getting paid for all the free publicity for Tesco, but InchicoreDude seems to have the inside track on it.

• Advertisement

Belle amie posters going up in centra's for support :p will they give out about that also.
    Just trying to throw spanner in works because she is not a cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In my opinion, the reason we're allowed vote this year is because it's the last year of the UK show and Simon and co are out to maximise revenue before they ship the whole shebang off to the States next year.

After all, we had an "Irish" interest in it last year with Jedward (I know, I know.. but bear with me! :p) and yet we couldn't vote then. As far as I remember though, we could vote a few years ago and then they stopped it - anyone know why?

Mary won't win (that "honor" will go to some teeny-bopper girl-friendly crowd like One Direction or god forbid Katie or Tweener/Cher! :rolleyes:), but she'll probably be in it a good few weeks yet and of course will get the X-Factor Tour and a recording contract out of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,754 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

For the past two weeks Mary has given the best performances so far even if she dont win she could end up getting the most ( look at Jedward last year and JLS the year before) - Mary seems very likeable and down to earth no bull$hit from her

I dont think it is about votes in the end it is all up to Simon and who he wants to win which is usually someone from Cheryl Cole's group I think the end result is rigged tbh

Well done Mary and long may she continue in the show

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    In my opinion, the reason we're allowed vote this year is because it's the last year of the UK show and Simon and co are out to maximise revenue before they ship the whole shebang off to the States next year.

Is it the last year of the UK show? It's the first I've heard of it. :confused: I assumed Cowell would do it both in America and in the UK, like how he used to do both American Idol and the X-Factor in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Let's be brutally honest here, if she was to win the show it would be a real embarrassment. A 50 year old middle aged woman? Where is the talent?
    Is there nothing out there to compare to a karaoke pub singer? You would see dozens of Mary Byrne's in every county in Ireland every weekend belting out the big ballads.

walshb wrote: »
    Let's be brutally honest here, if she was to win the show it would be a real embarrassment. A 50 year old middle aged woman? Where is the talent?

Ah now hold on a second walshb. Mary Byrne is far and away better than any of the younger ones that went on so far. Starting out with the assumption that she is 50 years old so mustn't be as good as younger people is a total nonsense, it's just an ad hominem attack from the start and the fact that you went there shows that you don't really know or care anything about vocal talent in the first place (which is actually quite an achievement these days as I think these shows helped tune people's ears to spot vocal talent much better).
    Is there nothing out there to compare to a karaoke pub singer? You would see dozens of Mary Byrne's in every county in Ireland every weekend belting out the big ballads.

lol. Are you mad or just having a laugh or what? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Should this not be in conspiracy theories ;)

The reason Irish people can vote is how they can make more money. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,754 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As opposed to Cher or Katie winning :rolleyes: at least Mary has talent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

rebel10 wrote: »
    Anyway i agree with the teenage thing, little like the Eurovision, we can see the talented acts but popularity always wins the twits over.

No, the Eurovision has nothing to do with block voting by teenagers, it's got to do with politics...

And as for Mary, politics aside, there are exceptions to what the teenagers want. Look at the winner of the first Britain's X Factor - Steve Brookstein - even Simon Cowell didn't want him to win, and he won....against all odds...which was ironically the name of his first single. He got 6 Million votes that night to win the show and he struggled to Independently release a 2nd album

Diana Vickers and Jedward may have had some success since last season, but Joe McElderry, Eoghan Quigg, Stacey Soleman etc etc have just failed badly

And then there was Lucy's eviction from X Factor in favour of Jedward, and then everyone blamed the public for voting for Daniel and allowing things to get so bad that nobody voted...and the week after, there is a massive surge in voting and they receive the highest numbers ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

It would be a bit of a joke to sell the program to an Irish audience and continue to not allow them to vote.

Advertisement