Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tree surgeon - what cost can i expect?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

All the trees are on my property and within 100 feet of the house so looks like I can fire ahead and cut them down then. I wanted to check as I have neighbours across the road who think they have a veto over what I want to do with my own property. I was cutting some low hanging branches off these trees last year to make it easier to cut the grass around them when this neigbour objected saying I'd now be invading his privacy by removing these lower branches, as I'd have a clear view towards his house. As if I've nothing better to do than stand and look across the flipping road! He's such a pillock that he'd probably be onto the Council straight away to see if they'd stop me cutting the trees down. He reported my next door neighbour to the Council a few years back when she removed her front hedge - again citing an invasion of his privacy!

I'd hire a cherry picker and cut these trees myself but the very close proximity of the esb line is a hazard. The trees were topped about 8 years ago but the Poplars grew again, this time with 3 or 4 new "trunks" growing up from the cut off point which has made these tall slender trees very top heavy. All the growth in now from these new off shoots and to cut these again would leave very bare trees and would possibly kill them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

With regards invasion of privacy I couldn't comment, although I find it unlikely e would have a case especially seeing that he is across a road rather than a direct next door neighbour, although even then as far as I am concerned the most you are expected to have is a six foot high fence!

Dont worry about killing the trees if you prune them again, just google the term "pollarding" an old method of pruning trees to provide firewood, just think of it as high level coppicing!

As for doing it with a cherry picker the tree surgeon method of tying the brach being cut and then lowering it might help, basically have someone else to lower it down or just cut the branches in much smaller sections, the fact that you would use a cherry picker would mean you could "safely" use a chainsaw. With high level work it would be ideal if you could rent or borrow a top handle saw as used by tree climbing surgeons but you need a special licence for those so that is out of the question, but if you hire a smaller size saw with a nice narrow bar then they tend to run quite fast and give a good clean cut. Just please make sure you use the appropriate safety gear (helmet, gloves etc.)

All the best and happy cutting!

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RobTree

kayleigh7 wrote: »
    had a guy from cork tree surgeons call to me last week i wanted 30 feet of a big beach tree he charged me 200 euro what a good deal
    got another price of 800 and 600 euro from others try www,corktreesurgeons.com

Did he warn you that doing that to it is very likely to kill it?
    If it doesn't kill it in the next couple of years it will be likely to die from the decay that is likely to consume it.

Don't want to hijack this thread but we want to cut down the 14 Poplar trees at the front of our property as:
    a) They are growing so tall (over 60 feet now) as to be a hazard to the house/road if they were to fall
    b) I hate having to spend weeks collecting the leaves when they fall in the Autumn

A guy in my area recently cut down one of his 100ft+ Poplars as it was rotten and the roots had extended some 60 feet across his garden towards his house and had buckled his tarmacadam driveway. I saw the stump and it was rotten to the core.

I didn't plant my own trees. They were there when we bought the house but the previous owners had topped them at some point to reduce their height but they have doubled in height in the 7 years since we bought the place.

I've heard that its illegal to cut down a mature tree without permission - is this correct? These trees are also causing a potential hazard as there are phonelines and electricity lines either side of the row of trees and the trees hit off them when blowing in the wind.

So my question is, can I cut these trees down completely and how can I get rid of the stumps without ruining the lawn? Any recommendations for tree surgeons in the north Kildare/Dublin area?

Thanks

I'd be careful about cutting down poplars. When the tree is cut down, all the roots produce suckers which spring up through the ground. They can come up through tarmac, even concrete. They will ruin a law. You have to cut them down and then poison them immediately. Stump grinding alone doesn't solve the problem because the roots still produce suckers. If the poison is to make it's way right down into the the whole root system then you have to poison them (and cut them down) when the sap is receding. This helps move the poison to where it's needed. Your looking at September for this work. You want green leaves still on the tree. Poplar are the only Genus that do this with such severity. The other option is grubbing out the whole root system....

Any recommendations for tree surgeons in the north Kildare/Dublin area?
    Thanks

There are a lot of crap tree surgeons out there. They get their tickets and they think they know what they're doing, but there's an awful lot more to it than that. The International Society of Arboriculture has a 'find an arborist' section on it's website. Try there:
    www.isa-arbor.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've heard that its illegal to cut down a mature tree without permission - is this correct?
    the answer is 'it depends'.
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1220.html

if they're less than 100 foot from your house, you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

About 2 years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bogdozer

I need a tree cropped / pruned or whatever it's called. It is about 60 feet and cutting out neighbour's light. I think it needs to be cut back to about 30 feet, but I've been told that cutting it back can kill it. Why would that happen? Is it something to do with rainwater falling on a flat cut which has not been sealed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Bogdozer wrote: »
    I need a tree cropped / pruned or whatever it's called. It is about 60 feet and cutting out neighbour's light. I think it needs to be cut back to about 30 feet, but I've been told that cutting it back can kill it. Why would that happen? Is it something to do with rainwater falling on a flat cut which has not been sealed?
    It depends on what the tree is, but rainwater is rarely a problem with a tree pruned correctly by a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

That's not a tree it's a little sapling. I could cut that down with a bow saw in 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

you cannot hire out a chainsaw. would love to know where the poster hired out the long handled saw from ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I need a tree cropped / pruned or whatever it's called. It is about 60 feet and cutting out neighbour's light. I think it needs to be cut back to about 30 feet, but I've been told that cutting it back can kill it.
    what sort of tree is it? if you lop off the top 30 foot, it'll certainly look odd..

you cannot hire out a chainsaw. would love to know where the poster hired out the long handled saw from ?

Not too sure, but I think you can hire chainsaws, but you have to buy or hire the safety gear and the hire shop should show you how to use it, and pole chainsaws are the same I think, although if I didn't know how to use one I wouldn't be hiring. That said I don't hire anything I always buy what I need but that is another issue altogether.

The best advice I can give you is to get a tree surgeon in and they can advise you. You can cut most trees this time of year although winter is the best time.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    That's not a tree it's a little sapling. I could cut that down with a bow saw in 5 minutes.

Yes of course you could, if that the case I'll get you to cut some trees for me.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Yes of course you could, if that the case I'll get you to cut some trees for me.
    No problem I've cut down plenty trees from little saplings to 90' spruce trees. It will cost you though because of insurance. I was more or less saying that the op should be able to cut down that tree ;)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    No problem I've cut down plenty trees from little saplings to 90' spruce trees. It will cost you though because of insurance. I was more or less saying that the op should be able to cut down that tree ;)

I was being sarcastic.

If someone is not capable to do something then they shouldn't, that is why professionals exist in every field of work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I was being sarcastic.

If someone is not capable to do something then they shouldn't, that is why professionals exist in every field of work.

:pac::pac::D

I was being sarcastic.

I'd never have guessed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Not too sure, but I think you can hire chainsaws, but you have to buy or hire the safety gear and the hire shop should show you how to use it, and pole chainsaws are the same I think, although if I didn't know how to use one I wouldn't be hiring. That said I don't hire anything I always buy what I need but that is another issue altogether.
    Stella is correct, you can't hire chainsaws in this country and it's been that way for about 10 years or more.

• Advertisement

david-k wrote: »
    Stella is correct, you can't hire chainsaws in this country and it's been that way for about 10 years or more.

Like I said, not too sure, now I know thanks.

Also like I said I never hire anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Treecareconor

Hi bogdozzer sounds like a simple straight forward job,what part of the country are you at as I would be more then happy to give you a quote or even advise you in what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dog tag

emt16 wrote: »
    I got a tree surgeon today after the wind took a large tree down and blocked my drive, really cheap, 250 euro and it took him about 2 hours. He took the branches ect away also. His business is Greenfingers landscaping, i got his no off a friend, drop me a note if you want his details, can't post it on this add!!!!:)

Landscapers are not tree surgeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Anyone have a rough idea how much it would cost to cut down a roughly 45 foot high ash tree? Also Is it cheaper to hold onto the chopped wood or do tree surgeons rely on the cut down tree for resale firewood? I ask because I would like to hold onto the wood for firewood myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dog tag

Anyone have a rough idea how much it would cost to cut down a roughly 45 foot high ash tree? Also Is it cheaper to hold onto the chopped wood or do tree surgeons rely on the cut down tree for resale firewood? I ask because I would like to hold onto the wood for firewood myself.

it will depend on many factors, eg/ what's beside the tree. Glasshouse, conservatory, shed etc. what diameter is the trunk? What is access to the site like? how small do you want the firewood left etc..etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 marask

Anybody can recommend tree surgeon in south dublin, have a tree in back garden of terraced house that I want removed. Any ideas about price so I know if they ask too much/too little? Its an older tree and seems dying as lost all leaves early September
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

marask wrote: »
    Anybody can recommend tree surgeon in south dublin, have a tree in back garden of terraced house that I want removed. Any ideas about price so I know if they ask too much/too little? Its an older tree and seems dying as lost all leaves early September
    thanks

I've a few people I use, all insured qualified etc. Pm me if you want their numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Digger69

you really cant get a price without someone such as a tree surgeon seeing the job, has so many factors to consider such as size of tree, location of it, potential dangers such as location in relation to buildings and walls, access to to the tree itself, how many people needed to to do job etc, if you want to get a price quickly without much commitment, can phone a local tree surgeon and send him a picture from your mobile, take serval pictures from different angels taking in whats around the tree such as the above points and he can usually give you a ball park figure.

Regards,

Patric

Advertisement