Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPA Results Question

Options
  • 11-10-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I realise i should know this already but anyway.... has the old system of 1st class honours, 2.1 etc. been scraped?

Also, how can you convert your GPA result to the old system. And regarding putting your result on a CV- do you just write down the GPA decimal- and will that be recognised internationally?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/grades.pdf

GPA AWARD
    Greater than or equal to 3.68 1st Class Honours
    From 3.08 to 3.67 inclusive 2nd Class Honours, Grade 1
    From 2.48 to 3.07 inclusive 2nd Class Honours, Grade 2
    From 2.00 to 2.47 inclusive Pass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Does it make a difference if you graduate with a First class or a 2.1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Put them both on your CV, then it will be clear to everybody. Very few people in Ireland will be familiar with GPA if they have not been to UCD since 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Does it make a difference if you graduate with a First class or a 2.1?

Yes/No/Maybe

Depends on a lot of things TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Personally it matters to me, not that I'll be putting it on my CV but just for personal reasons. I got a 2.2 but was 3 grade points away from a 2.1 in my MA....I'm very mad right now. All because one exam didn't go my way although I thought it did in the exam centre.

• Advertisement

But I mean does it affect your job prospects or salary or is it just for show like the LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

But I mean does it affect your job prospects or salary or is it just for show like the LC?

As Jev/N said, yes/no/maybe!

Depends on the area you are applying for employment, the masters you gained, experience you may have, how you do in the interview etc etc etc. All these, and more, can affect whether it matters what actual grade you got.

A 1.1 can be a turn off for some employers, unless there are other activities on the CV demonstrating a rounded invdividuals.

Then again, if they're looking for a brainbox of a person, with little social skills, a first is all that's needed.

As I said it really depends on the line of work, the culture of the company, other qualifications, other achievements or activities, the list goes on...

So you're basically telling me it doesn't really matter what kind of degree I qualify with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Jev/N wrote: »
    A 1.1 can be a turn off for some employers, unless there are other activities on the CV demonstrating a rounded invdividuals.

Then again, if they're looking for a brainbox of a person, with little social skills, a first is all that's needed.

As I said it really depends on the line of work, the culture of the company, other qualifications, other achievements or activities, the list goes on...
    Dude, that's not necessarily true. My brother got a job he was completely unqualified for (He's a sports science graduate, they were looking specifically for business graduates), and the only reason he got the interview was that he had a first)

In a lot of cases you will get hired to a job just because you have a degree at all, nothing to do with what it is. In those cases, having a first will be better, because it's a better degree. It shows that you;re intelligent and committed to work for what you want - which is the kind of thing most employers want.

• Advertisement

So you're basically telling me it doesn't really matter what kind of degree I qualify with?

It does matter but it's not the sole deciding factor in your career (within reason of course).
    Raphael wrote: »
    Dude, that's not necessarily true. My brother got a job he was completely unqualified for (He's a sports science graduate, they were looking specifically for business graduates), and the only reason he got the interview was that he had a first)

In a lot of cases you will get hired to a job just because you have a degree at all, nothing to do with what it is. In those cases, having a first will be better, because it's a better degree. It shows that you;re intelligent and committed to work for what you want - which is the kind of thing most employers want.

While I agree to an extent, it really depends on the employer.

Most employers I have had experience with value a combination of degree and extra curricular, and if this means taking a 2.1 with lots of activities over a 1.1 with nothing else, they won't have an issue going for the 2.1.

I would also say that common sense has a huge influence as there's a lot of first candidates out there with little common sense above being able to sit exams and do well, something that will show in interviews.

I would say you brother's first helped but other achievements and interview marks would have gone very far.

TL;DR - a first will get you the interview but it won't get you the job ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Jev/N wrote: »
    While I agree to an extent, it really depends on the employer.

Most employers I have had experience with value a combination of degree and extra curricular, and if this means taking a 2.1 with lots of activities over a 1.1 with nothing else, they won't have an issue going for the 2.1.

I would also say that common sense has a huge influence as there's a lot of first candidates out there with little common sense above being able to sit exams and do well, something that will show in interviews.

I would say you brother's first helped but other achievements and interview marks would have gone very far.

A 1.1 is NEVER going to have a negative impact on your job prospects and getting one is not a sign of being socially inept/clueless. Of course some with 1.1 will be like that, but the same can be said for any grade. The better your results are, the better your job prospects will be. Of course they want well rounded individuals, but people with 1.1s are capable of being very well rounded.

Advertisement