Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag teaching?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi!
    I'm doing my leaving cert this year and i'm interested in becoming an Ag Science teacher but cant find a course that offers this. Would anyone know what courses there are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Any agricultural course really would eventually lead on to ag science teaching. Theres a course in UCD aswell i think. Your guidance councellor would be better to advise you really

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

UCC - B.Ag.Sc.
    UCD - B.Ag.Sc.
    NUIG - B.Ag.Sc.
    UL - B.Sc.Ed. (Good range - Biology, AgSc and either Chemistry or Physics)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I did the BSc Science Education in UL (Biology, Ag Science and either Chem or Physics as randylonghorn said above). It also has teacher training included in the degree so you don't need to do the PGDE afterwards.

You could also do one of the Ag degrees mentioned above, you would be qualified in Ag Science and Ag Economics. Not as good an option as no one does ag economics (about 30 students per year).

The Science Ed degree would certainly give you a wider range of subjects, but the UCD Ag Science degree would give you a wider range of options if you decided teaching wasn't for you at the end and you still wanted to work in agriculture but in a different sector.

The Science Ed degree is good but you will really only be qualified to teach after it, that is it's focus.

I had a great time doing it though!

Advertisement