Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gáis - Deposits

Options
  • 11-10-2010 6:19pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am a new customer with Bord Gáis and I am paying via direct debit. I got a demand today to pay a €400 deposit by early next week.

I was under the impression that if you are paying via direct debit the deposit is €200? Or has policy since changed?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SQ80

Hi Sierra Oscar, I think they like to charge whatever they feel like at the time! This is from their site

You are required to provide security* on opening your account with Bord Gáis Energy. Standard security is:
    • €200.00 deposit PLUS Bill-Pay Direct Debit**
    • or €400.00 deposit**
    * previous account holders may be exempt from providing security subject to review of their credit history
    ** Bord Gáis Energy reserves the right to vary security requirements in certain circumstances.

I had a lot of trouble dealing with them in the past looking for 400 from me, i had originally recived a letter from them when i was connected first that didnt mention any deposit so i argued with them and they took it off. However it has appeared on 4 bills over the last 18 months that i keep having to phone them about!

Make sure you get the persons name when you phone cos i guarantee you'll have to phone more than once and better to have a name or they plead ignorance
    Id get onto them anyway and argue your case!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Interesting, I don't mind paying the €200 if I have to as I was expecting that - but the €400 is a little bit Irish if you ask me . . . considering they stated it would be only €200 if I was paying by DD.

Ill get on to them tomorrow about it. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Thanks SQ!

We had this issue a few months back with Bord Gais. We set up the direct debit and were told that we could pay the €200 deposit with our first bill, the deposit would be taken with the direct debit for the bill amount. A week later we got a demand for €400! Rang them up, were told that whoever had told us that we could pay the €200 with our first bill had got it wrong, and because we'd left it two weeks we now had to pay the €400 regardless of the direct debit. Partner was not impressed, had a good ol row down the phone, and eventually we were allowed to pay the €200 with our first bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I stay in my apartment five days a week, moved in four months ago, and I'm actually considering not getting any heating. €400 is far, far too much and I can't afford it - is there any other provider that's reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Airtricity have also started selling gas - I don't know what they're like for deposits though as I'm in Galway so we don't have gas hookup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Hey all,

I am a new customer with Bord Gáis and I am paying via direct debit. I got a demand today to pay a €400 deposit by early next week.

I was under the impression that if you are paying via direct debit the deposit is €200? Or has policy since changed?

Thanks in advance!

Switch over to Flogas mate, i got the same letter..

Flogas cheaper and require no deposit..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

+1.

Just don't use Bord Gais, there's competition now!

I moved into an apartment last week and got this letter this evening. I'm not too impressed, having never been informed of this charge when I was moving in. As I've just paid deposit, rent and bin charges I'm not in a position to throw away €200 on something I won't even use that often - like speedboatchase I'm actually considering having no gas at all.

The account was set up for me by the letting agent, am I able to change to another provider or is there a contract period?

EDIT: Just chatted with FloGas on the phone there, they don't charge the deposit and if I get a meter reading and the GPRN I can switch. So that's what I think I'll do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I got Bord Gais for gas and electricity last year, paying by DD and they never asked for a deposit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I got this resolved - if the premises is in your own name you do not need to pay any deposit. Seems as if they don't try and determine whether one does own the premises in the first place . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 SQ80

Hi Sierra Oscar, Glad you got it sorted just make sure you keep an eye on the your bills cos as i said before they they liked to keep adding the deposit on to mine! Very frustrating!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Karsini wrote: »
    EDIT: Just chatted with FloGas on the phone there, they don't charge the deposit and if I get a meter reading and the GPRN I can switch. So that's what I think I'll do. :)

I was just looking at the flogas website, but it's not very good. What are the standing charges about? I've never heard of them before. I've only ever had gas in England and there was never anything like standing charges. Why would I pay €124 to save 20% on my bills? I only ever paid about £300 for heating and constant hot water annually in England so paying €124 to save 20% on my bills would cost me a fortune. The system in this house is so mangled the gas doesn't even heat the water so I'll only be getting heating.

It seems that Flogas have three tariffs, to save 20% on gas you need to pay the higher standing charge (as you said), but I could only see this being useful if you use a *lot* of gas. They have two other options where you pay the same standing charge as Bord Gáis but save less (15% and 7%, the latter being if you don't pay by DD).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

When I moved into my house they asked me for the deposit. I rang them and told them I was merely moving my account from my old house as I had been a customer there previously. No deposit required after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be careful when switching energy suppliers as the charges can be different.
    I stay in my apartment five days a week, moved in four months ago, and I'm actually considering not getting any heating.
    Winter is coming. :) That said, on the old Bord Gáis tariff, I used to disconnect the gas for the summer.

iguana, the standing charges cover the actual network, meter readings, billing, etc. These are costs that are there whether you use gas of not. The Irish market isn't as developed competitively as the British market and we may see changes as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

When I was getting gas in a few years ago in rented apartment I was asked for 150 deposit - which I didn't have. To get me as a customer they asked if any of my family had Gas in their house and if they did could I give them their account number - like a guarantee. I gave them his mother's a/c number and the problem was resolved immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

A few friends and I moved into a house a year ago and Bord Gais wanted €400 deposit.

A year later and we still haven't paid it. If a bill is €480, we just pay €80 and leave the balance at €400. A year later and we're still going strong :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Penny1624

I have paid a deposit with Bord Gias too.
    Does anyone know when I will actually get it back?
    I'm just renting the place and will probably move again after the years contract is up as my job is only for a year too. Will I get the deposit back when I move out?

Bord Gais told us we could have it back after 14 months if the account was in good standing. But their website says "When the account is closed" - so no idea, but I am guessing if we were told 14 months they probably wont return it to you after a year. Best thing you could do is contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

I asked Bord Gáis this and was told I will get it back after 7 payments (so 14 months) or when I close my account! Make sure though you ring and ask for it back after the 7 payments as you don't get it immediately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

We paid deposits to Bord Gais (200 euro) twice (for different rental properties, years apart).
    The first time when we closed the account as we were moving, they sent a cheque for the full 200 back the same week we settled up on the final bill, the second time we had run up a bill that was 220-odd, and told them to use the deposit as payment for the final bill and we also paid off the 20 or so that was still owed over and above the 200.

No problems encountered either time with repayment of deposit/use of deposit to clear the final amount owed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Penny1624

That's a relief. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

jamieh wrote: »
    A few friends and I moved into a house a year ago and Bord Gais wanted €400 deposit.

A year later and we still haven't paid it. If a bill is €480, we just pay €80 and leave the balance at €400. A year later and we're still going strong :rolleyes:

We tried that. Eventually they threatened to cut us off (after just over a year). Rang them up to arrange DD and avail of the €200 deposit option -- offered to us by one of their sales guys pitching their electricity supply -- only to be told that we had, in fact, "paid" the €400 deposit already.

Turned out that any time we paid just the amount above €400 on the bill, they'd take it off the deposit, not the bill for actual gas used. So as far as BG was concerned, we'd paid the deposit but were in arrears in our bill.

To add insult to injury, they had originally imposed the €400 deposit when we moved our existing BG account to another apartment in the same development; 22 to 27, to be precise. That's why I was refusing to pay the deposit in the first place.

They would not budge on any of this, and we paid the €400.

When I looked into moving at the time, it seemed that the other suppliers also wanted a similar deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tk1234

Just Called up Bord gais now and told them that i have been with them for more than 14 months and i am now requesting my security deposit back. They processed it and will post a cheque out to me for 200 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but am totally stessed out because of these "demands". I have just moved into a lovely new apartment. Delighted with it. Took post in last week and have received demands for €400 from Bord Gais and €300 from ESB for "security deposits". I have just handed over 1 months rent plus a deposit for the apartment and do not have €700 to give these companies. Years ago it was possible for someone to "guarantor" for you but it seems this is no longer possible. Any suggestions as to what I can do as like I said I do not have €700 at the moment. Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'm with Flogas, I had to pay € 200 deposit

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

SteoL wrote: »
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but am totally stessed out because of these "demands". I have just moved into a lovely new apartment. Delighted with it. Took post in last week and have received demands for €400 from Bord Gais and €300 from ESB for "security deposits". I have just handed over 1 months rent plus a deposit for the apartment and do not have €700 to give these companies. Years ago it was possible for someone to "guarantor" for you but it seems this is no longer possible. Any suggestions as to what I can do as like I said I do not have €700 at the moment. Cheers.

I switched to Airtricity and once I set up a direct debit they didn't want any deposit. It's a cheaper service too so win:win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

iguana wrote: »
    I switched to Airtricity and once I set up a direct debit they didn't want any deposit. It's a cheaper service too so win:win.

Thanks that's something I could consider. Would be reluctant atm to change providers as I am only after moving in (and would be concerned in case the LL was not happy with that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

Thanks that's something I could consider. Would be reluctant atm to change providers as I am only after moving in (and would be concerned in case the LL was not happy with that).

Ask them, they can only say no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

as far as i know if you set up dd with esb you don't have to pay the €300 deposit. my friend moved into a new place feb of last year and changed the esb to his name. they told him either pay the deposit or set up dd and then you don't have to

Advertisement