Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spacing between Griselinia

Options
  • 11-10-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Planning on planting some Griselinia hedging. Expect to let it grow to around 1 metre high. Want to work out what spacing I should use. Can anybody offer any advice?
    Also what is the best time to plant?

Thanks,

danjo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

Hi danjo. Griselinia has a spread of approx 5 meters so I reckon that or a little less should be your spacing, depending on how dense you want it to be. As it is a very frost resistant evergreen I'd consider planting it any time. Just don't trim until spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

5 meters? that's 15 feet! More like 15 in 5 meters. It would not be my first choice for a one meter high hedge, it is very vigorous and would need a lot of cutting to keep it down to that.

We pulled a huge grisalinia hedge out of our front garden, not my choice of hedging, but admittedly very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Thanks for the information folks,

danjo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

What would people recommend for a 1 meter high, quick establishing hedge?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

redser7 wrote: »
    What would people recommend for a 1 meter high, quick establishing hedge?

Quick establishing meaning quick growth.. would mean lot's of Pruning to maintain a one metre high hedge ...
    You could use smaller shrubs (Lavenders angustifolia, Rosmarinus officinalis, Hypericum hidcote, Lonicera Pileata, Euonymus 'Emerald 'n' Gold' / Bravo, Buxus Sempervirens (Box Hedging), maybe some form of Bamboo (Dwarf types)

If you have the time and want to clip the hedge at least twice a year

Berberis Stenophylla, Photina Red Robin, fagus (Beech) Escallonia
    and indeed even Griselinia.

And lot's More...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

jezko wrote: »
    Quick establishing meaning quick growth.. would mean lot's of Pruning to maintain a one metre high hedge ...
    You could use smaller shrubs (Lavenders angustifolia, Rosmarinus officinalis, Hypericum hidcote, Lonicera Pileata, Euonymus 'Emerald 'n' Gold' / Bravo, Buxus Sempervirens (Box Hedging), maybe some form of Bamboo (Dwarf types)

If you have the time and want to clip the hedge at least twice a year

Berberis Stenophylla, Photina Red Robin, fagus (Beech) Escallonia
    and indeed even Griselinia.

And lot's More...

Jezko

sorry but I think you're off the mark, eg not all quick growing shrubs would necessarily demand lots of pruning. Also some of your alternatives are ridiculous suggestions for a quick growing hedge. Buxus would take a generation to reach 1m, Euonymus never would, nor would Lavender. Hypericum will reach 1 m but also 3m wide, so do you cut into sides to expose cut ends with no leaf? Similarly severe lateral cutting would undermine Rosemary and definitely Photinia would not appreciate being restricted to 1m?

Obvious quick growing candidates would include Green and Golden Privet, Grisellinia (bulky), Escallonia (lots of cutting). Slower growers include: Beech, Taxus, Viburnum Tinus Eve Price, Pyracantha, Ealaeagnus, Ilex etc but for more choice, you may also consider:

Prunus Otto Luyken, Prunus Lusitanica, Simba Bamboo (natural height 1500-1800mm).

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Jezko

Euonymus never would, nor would Lavender. Hypericum will reach 1 m but also 3m wide, so do you cut into sides to expose cut ends with no leaf? Similarly severe lateral cutting would undermine Rosemary and definitely Photinia would not appreciate being restricted to 1m?

I have seen Euonymus grow over 1 metre I bellieve it to be Bravo. It seem to grow approx 15cm growth per Year (True Lavender is not a real runner) And I walk past a Hypericum and Photinia hedge every day to work (Both approx one metre high and 1.5 metre wide granted they are restricted in bed size and pruned hard..) and the Hypericum recovers from the side cut (Shaped like an "A" Wider on bottom and narrow on top) (Bit bare on the bottom 15cm up) Photinia is more squareish (And can't say for sure if its Red Robin .. I believe there is a dwarf form??? Baby Robin???
    Just typing it as I seen it ;) ( I am not a Horticulturalist so I am NO Expert :D)

And to be honest I have a hedging wish list simply got carried away :-)
    Which would include Hydrangea.

Thanks both, that's very helpful. Pruning is not a problem for me, I would enjoy the maintainance so the quicker growing the better. Smallish leaf and dense would be great but I realise something like box which would be beautiful is too slow growing.
    Ultimate goal is to grow this low hedge relatively quickly to obscure a 7 m run of mesh fence that is run through with old ivy and brambles growing wild from the other side. There is 'waste' ground on the other side so there should be no issue to cut it back and keep it back. Cheers

I think that lonicera nitida would suit the job. http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/lonicera_nitida_.html
    Pictures there. It can look scruffy if it is not cared for, but properly looked after it can make a very nice hedge and apart from cutting, is not in any way difficult. I mention it particularly because we used it in precisely the situation you mention, and it made a good hedge.

Thanks Looksee, that's a beauty. Did you buy them as bareroots? How long did it take you to get a decent hedge? Cheers

• Advertisement

There was one scruffy bush already there, so I took slips off it and grew them on. They grew pretty quickly but I couldn't honestly say how long before we had a decent hedge - about 4 years I think. If you started from bare roots it would not take too long, but put a good density in.

There is also a gold version but it is nowhere near as vigorous as the green one.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hort101

You want to give your Griselinia time to establish so try plant it before autumn when it will be getting cold and windy.. its generally spaced at 45cm.. or 1.5 foot.. but it all depends on the size of the plant when planting. if you have a Mature plant you may want to space it at around 80 to 100 cm.. yet smaller slips would be grown in smaller areas such as 30cm spacing to around 50cm..

Potted plants can be planted any time of the year and bare-root form October to April. Ensure weeds are killed either side in a strip around 100cm wide..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am a big privet fan especially as it survived the worse of our winters. To get a nice hedge you plant in two rows one in front of the other. So plant the first row & then plant the second row so that each plant is in the middle of the first two so it makes a triangle.

imagesqtbnANd9GcTolsgI4M7pCa4DEbAAW.jpg

Don't just follow these spacings they are a just an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

jezko wrote: »
    I have seen Euonymus grow over 1 metre I bellieve it to be Bravo. It seem to grow approx 15cm growth per Year (True Lavender is not a real runner) And I walk past a Hypericum and Photinia hedge every day to work (Both approx one metre high and 1.5 metre wide granted they are restricted in bed size and pruned hard..) and the Hypericum recovers from the side cut (Shaped like an "A" Wider on bottom and narrow on top) (Bit bare on the bottom 15cm up) Photinia is more squareish (And can't say for sure if its Red Robin .. I believe there is a dwarf form??? Baby Robin???
    Just typing it as I seen it ;) ( I am not a Horticulturalist so I am NO Expert :D)

And to be honest I have a hedging wish list simply got carried away :-)
    Which would include Hydrangea.

'Little Robin' comes to mind but I better double check. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

About 45 miles would be close enough for me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭corajen

hI,
    Can anyone tell me if I should trim a grisalinia hedge after planting , I planted some and they were potted and about 4feet tall approx. Secondly how often show Water them and by how much.
    thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

You can trim the tops to encourage bushy growth. Watering?...in this Summer?!

Advertisement