Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

setting up renewables

• 11-10-2010 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

i am doing some renovations to the house ,rewired the place and am getting a new esb meter. iam just wondering how it works if i buy a electric solar panel or wind turbine sometime in the future. is there a special esb meter required for this. i was planning on just a night saver meter.
    i know you need an inverter to 230v ac. how is it synced to mains incoming supply. does anyone have a wiring diagram for thies systems. is there a panel you can buy with all the protection gear and put it beside the main fuse board.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

as far as i know your meter simply runs backwards :D

have a look for the user on here quentingargan he'll tell you all you need to know

and probably recommend suppliers and fitters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Before you can install a solar PV/wind system grid tied you need to apply to the ESB for permission. You will need to specify the inverter and panels/turbine you are using conform to regulations. You will need a qualified/certified electrician to oversee and sign off the installation. You will need to apply to your electricity supplier who will (hopefully) provide you with an export meter.
    The inverter will go as close to the panels/turbine as possible.
    There will be a DC isolator switch from the panels and an AC isolator switch from the Inverter. So your board will probably just have an AC switch and the export meter wired in to your current meter supply.
    No point in doing anything until you have completed the application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobdole968

thanks for the help. just doing the wiring for now don't want to rip down the house when i can finally afford solar panels/wind turbine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

The ESB will supply a smart meter if you fit pv or a turbine, free if you're one of the first 4000 microgenerator applicants.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

bobdole968 wrote: »
    thanks for the help. just doing the wiring for now don't want to rip down the house when i can finally afford solar panels/wind turbine.
    If you are thinking of installing Solar PVs on your roof, it would be a good idea to run some 2 X 6mm STRANDED cable (not solid) from an area close to your fuseboard to the loft space. DC from a solar PV needs stranded wire.

If you are thinking of installing a wind turbine, then you could run armoured cable out of the house from the same location. This will need to be 3 phase, and you don't connect the armour to earth anywhere inside the house. The cable size would depend on the size of turbine, operating voltage, and distance from the fuseboard. A spark can work out the losses, though usually for a wind turbine a higher level of loss is acceptable than normal use. If you think the project is likely to go ahead, you could run the cable along a trench to the location of the turbine while you have the diggers onsite and before you landscape!

For example, 3 X 10mm cable with a 3kw turbine 200m from the house would give cable losses of about 0.8% at 400V.

Q

• Advertisement
Advertisement