Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Horse food/treats?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

I wanted to get some horse treats for a family member's horses for Christmas (i know:)) and I can't seem to find anywhere online that's in Ireland. I previously picked up stuff that was a special in lidl or Aldi but God knows when that will come around again.

Can anyone help?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Farm Supply shops and equine stores would be the place to find them, every town has at least one, where abouts are you?

Or try

http://www.holmesteadsaddlery.com/

or

www.equipet.ie

In the horses mind the best treats are a few carrots or a sugar-free polo though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Thanks a million you two, much appreciated!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

A lot of the larger saddlery stores will have horse treats in stock, and will have a selection from which to choose.

Some manufacturers, such as Redmills, also produce 'treats' (or at least they used to).

I'd definitely agree with adrenalinjunkie's point re. apples and carrots being the best treats. Our horses go absolutely mad for them (they're the equivalent of chocolate for humans), but don't like sweet things at all. They spat out the polo mints again recently! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You could try your hand at baking something for them. Healthy cookies are easy to make, and cute if you have some nice cookie cutters.
    I've made goat and horse cookies before, you could make apple or carrot cookies and you know exactly what's gone into them.
    Or just treat them to a lovely organic bit of veg. or some timothy hay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Linguo id just do up a cute fruit/veg basket for their horse, with apples,carrots,a salt lick etc as mentioned above.

Im collecting bits for friends baby presents and going to put them in a little wicker basket (fiver in TK Maxx) and personalise it. The personalised bit will mean the most to the owner tbh (the horse wont mind :p). You can put the treats in right at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I think I agree with you all, I'll do them up a basket of stuff and maybe try bake them a few bits!

Thanks a million you're all very good!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Carrots have a fair bit of sugar in them as well, not good if the animals are laminitic. I believe turnips have less.

Advertisement