Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broandband Complaint\UPC terrible costumer sevice

• 11-10-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I was just wondering if anyone else had any problems with their UPC broadband. I am currently paying for the 15MB Fibre Power Broadband but can barely stream a youtube clip, internet radio will stutter, ps3 games lag and are unbearable so i complained. I done speedtests with magnet, irishisptest and upc and all got around 3-6MB i must have made 6 phone calls and eventually someone came out to have a look, service can still be hit and miss. i am really unhappy with the service i am paying for, i had problems with my t.v and phone aswell. can i use these complaints to terminate my contract??? i tink upc provide a terrible service for the price they charge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

I was just wondering if anyone else had any problems with their UPC broadband. I am currently paying for the 15MB Fibre Power Broadband but can barely stream a youtube clip, internet radio will stutter, ps3 games lag and are unbearable so i complained. I done speedtests with magnet, irishisptest and upc and all got around 3-6MB i must have made 6 phone calls and eventually someone came out to have a look, service can still be hit and miss. i am really unhappy with the service i am paying for, i had problems with my t.v and phone aswell. can i use these complaints to terminate my contract??? i tink upc provide a terrible service for the price they charge

I tink you'll find your costumer contract for broandband will probably say you will need to post a letter to their disconnection department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

where are u from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

can i use these complaints to terminate my contract???

I was told that you can terminate your contract with any service provided if you for reasons beyond your control can not receive any service at all that is nothing nada zip zipola less than something. Could be wrong about this its just something ive always been told ive never had to put it to the test.
    The people to talk to would be Comreg. But i think you have to have a substantial history of complaints and upc attempting to fix it.

p.s. every isp uses the words "up to" just because your paying for 15mb doesnt mean your going to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

AFAIK there have been some issues?
    Have you called customer support - I called the other day and they had a CLEAR announcement about the problems (at least in my area).

I wouldn't be so quick to move from them - they are extremely good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

had a lot of hassle with them myself, the problem seams to be that they are selling speeds that they cant provide yet in some areas because they have not upgraded their hardware.
    if you have the new modem they provide Cisco 2425 or something like that it should be ok on your end but the older modem router netgear solution can only handle about 10 meg, although this is a much better modem
    but even when i was having problems my speeds were fine when i ran tests service was just intermittent.
    just tell them you have no broadband and they will come out, the first line guys they send out are generally rubbish they will just do a ping test and make sure everything is plugged in ok, its the second line guys that know their stuff and you only get these when the first line guys cant fix it, but have to hand it to the second line guy he was sound and did his best.
    They are just selling a service their hardware infrastructure cant support yet.
    in fairness when its working its the best service out there but their customer service is appalling i cant even begin to tell you how badly they run their show, i will never be a customer of there's once there is another decent broadband provider around, roll on wimax!
    6 weeks, 2 technicians, 7 call outs at least 15 calls to "customer service :rolleyes:" and now i have broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

roll on wimax!
    Roll on Wimax indeed, as long as it's not the Wimax product that's being sold by Imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved from the Cable TV forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭jarvis_c82

I fcuking hate UPC Broadband. I've been having an ongoing dispute with them over my broadband for the past 2 months. My internet would drop intermittently and is very unpredictable. I could go for playing online for 4 hours straight no bother some nights and other nights I can barely get 10 mins.

I would be on the phone to their customer service and they would say that its working on their end and I would be looking at no internet though.

I've had 2 technicians out who just tightened the connections into the wall.

I've had a phonecall every second day from a different technician 'for my area' asking about the problem. However, they want to call around but I'm obviously at work. When I schedule a technician, they never show up now.

The problem is that when I had 10 megs broadband, not one problem. They decided to upgrade me to 15 megs for free and that is when the problems started. I've told them this.

To every 1 person at UPC who knows what they are doing, there is about 20 who don't know what they are doing.

/rant over/ b*stards!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I say this time and time again on here. If you are thinking of breaking a contract with any isp because of poor service and you are within a 12 month contract then you need to establish a record of the complaints that you have made to them - what the complaints were and when you made them. Memo their response. If you call them then memo the time and contents of the call and the person you spoke to if you can. Then you need to give them a final opportunity to fix the problem. If you have given them a reasonably opportunity and you are still getting poor service then you are in a reasonable postion to leave. But cover yourself properly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

just tell them you have no broadband and they will come out, the first line guys they send out are generally rubbish they will just do a ping test and make sure everything is plugged in ok, its the second line guys that know their stuff and you only get these when the first line guys cant fix it, but have to hand it to the second line guy he was sound and did his best.
    They are just selling a service their hardware infrastructure cant support yet.
    in fairness when its working its the best service out there but their customer service is appalling i cant even begin to tell you how badly they run their show, i will never be a customer of there's once there is another decent broadband provider around, roll on wimax!
    6 weeks, 2 technicians, 7 call outs at least 15 calls to "customer service :rolleyes:" and now i have broadband

If that is the case then they shouldnt be selling the service!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

jarvis_c82 wrote: »
    I fcuking hate UPC Broadband. I've been having an ongoing dispute with them over my broadband for the past 2 months. My internet would drop intermittently and is very unpredictable. I could go for playing online for 4 hours straight no bother some nights and other nights I can barely get 10 mins.

I would be on the phone to their customer service and they would say that its working on their end and I would be looking at no internet though.

I've had 2 technicians out who just tightened the connections into the wall.

I've had a phonecall every second day from a different technician 'for my area' asking about the problem. However, they want to call around but I'm obviously at work. When I schedule a technician, they never show up now.

The problem is that when I had 10 megs broadband, not one problem. They decided to upgrade me to 15 megs for free and that is when the problems started. I've told them this.

To every 1 person at UPC who knows what they are doing, there is about 20 who don't know what they are doing.

/rant over/ b*stards!!!!

That was my problem aswell exact same thing, try get them to switch you back to the netgear modem it will only handle 10 meg though but its more stable.
    if you moved to 15 meg for "free" you resigned your contract for another year, just incase you didnt no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

From experience (3 years of problems which have only recently been fixed by accident), you need to log an official complaint if you want the issue tackled seriously.

Call their helpdesk and at the very beginning of the call, request an official complaint to be raised. Also specify that you are not interested in assistance from their Customer Care team. This is important, as when you ask to make a complaint it frequently goes to them, but they are just regular support.

If/When an engineer calls out, get a guarantee from them that they will phone you with updates every 2 days. State that if updates are not given, that a complaint will be raised against them.

Lastly....call them every time there is any disruption to the service. Log everything (you can ask them to send a log of all interactions on your account). If the issue is not resolved within a reasonable amount of time, then report them to Comreg (fairly powerless, but they can help in some cases).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭timefora_J

I wouldn't be too quick to jump ship, I've had my fair share of up and downs when I got the 30mb upgrade. I got a similar problem with the speeds dropping well below 10mb at some stages.

I went back to 20mb until things were sorted, then rang a while back and got stuck on 30mb again. I getting 2.5MB/s wirelessly right now with the netgear router and can get over 3.0MB/s wired :)

When it works they are the best out there that I've seen, but when things go wrong they can be a headache alright

I did make a complaint at the time, they do tend to take it a bit more serious. You can do it over the phone as far as I remember you don't have to do it in writing. Just make sure you take names and stuff as other people have said..

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

So you've checked you are not being affected by the dns issue that is being mentioned by most people on here and on twitter?

Advertisement