Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to do medicine

Options
  • 11-10-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I am dropping out of my current course tomorrow in pursuit if medicine next year in UCD. I got 555 cao points but did not do the HPAT this year. Do you think i should repeat the leaving or just focus on the HPAT i.e. is 555 enough in your opinion,

On an aside, would i have to pay the full amount if i started next year or have i used up my 'free ticket'?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

dynamot wrote: »
    I am dropping out of my current course tomorrow in pursuit if medicine next year in UCD. I got 555 cao points but did not do the HPAT this year. Do you think i should repeat the leaving or just focus on the HPAT i.e. is 555 enough in your opinion,

On an aside, would i have to pay the full amount if i started next year or have i used up my 'free ticket'?

Thanks in advance
    If you manage to get between 200 and 250 in the HPAT you should be fine although I hear its extremely hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Definately don't repeat, you have 551 points out of a possible 560, far better off concentrating on the hpat, if you get 174+, you'll get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Thanks in advance

It depends on when you drop for how much fees you will pay next year. If you drop out before semester 2, then you only pay for semester 1 next year.

Look at this page and follow the link to the fees and grants page as well.

http://www.ucd.ie/advisers/advice/index.html#content3

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Definately don't repeat, you have 551 points out of a possible 560, far better off concentrating on the hpat, if you get 174+, you'll get in.

Have to agree with you. I repeated the Hpat and doubled my score by doing a course. Id do loads of research 1st and maybe some experience in a hospital before committing yourself to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Thanks in advance

No offence or anything, but it seems to me like you don't have a clue what you want to do.

A few days ago you started a thread about changing to do physiotherapy, in this thread you say you want to do medicine, and more recently you have started a new thread about dentistry.

The impression i'm getting is that you want to enter one of these professions for the prestige/money.

Absolute disaster, none of these professions are a bed of roses like so my young students like to think they are. All sectors are very tough at the minute and you could probably make more money, and more quickly with a finance degree or other degrees.

The only reason why you should be considerig doing these, is if you really want to do them and are 100% committed to them.

You're clearly confused, take some time out to think things through, and think carefully, maybe get some help ( careers guidance ) and talk to your parents about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

No offence or anything, but it seems to me like you don't have a clue what you want to do.

A few days ago you started a thread about changing to do physiotherapy, in this thread you say you want to do medicine, and more recently you have started a new thread about dentistry.

The impression i'm getting is that you want to enter one of these professions for the prestige/money.

Absolute disaster, none of these professions are a bed of roses like so my young students like to think they are. All sectors are very tough at the minute and you could probably make more money, and more quickly with a finance degree or other degrees.

The only reason why you should be considerig doing these, is if you really want to do them and are 100% committed to them.

You're clearly confused, take some time out to think things through, and think carefully, maybe get some help ( careers guidance ) and talk to your parents about it.

You're right, i don't know what i want to do and i'm not 100% committed to anything as yet, hence all the inquiries. I do however realize that NO course/profession is a bed of roses if it is worth doing. Money is a consideration and rightly so IMO but it is not the only reason why i am choosing these particular courses; practicality, interest, suitability and family connections also play a part. So thanks for your advice but i wont be working in the financial sector any time soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

You're right, i don't know what i want to do and i'm not 100% committed to anything as yet, hence all the inquiries. I do however realize that NO course/profession is a bed of roses if it is worth doing. Money is a consideration and rightly so IMO but it is not the only reason why i am choosing these particular courses; practicality, interest, suitability and family connections also play a part. So thanks for your advice but i wont be working in the financial sector any time soon!

No problem, You said you got 550 or something in your leaving? I've no doubt that you have the ability to practice in the careers your talking about. Tbh, you should take the year out and do lots and lots of voluntary work in hospitals, animal pounds(if you want to look ito veterinary). Also, research every career top to bottom and then make an educated decision about which direction you'd like to take in life.

Good luck with whatever you do.

I have to agree with Soccer. I did computer science straight out of school without really researching the course. Big mistake. I floated towards a plc after and it's only now that I'm 25 that I've actually entered into a course which I have fully researched and feel fully comfortable doing.

The difference in doing a course you are interested in and doing something you hate is absolutely incomparable. I'm actually enjoying the learning experience at the moment and when I look back on my experiences in Computer Science I shudder.

Perhaps you should take a year out and try and get some money together, nothing like doing a job/nothing for a year to make you yearn for a college education. Nobody really has a clue what they want to do at 17/18 and the fact that you're filling out the CAO in the shadow of the pressures of the LC doesn't help matters.

Seeing as you'll be paying for next year it might be a good idea to go in and talk to people in the college in the relevant fields to get a good grasp of what you are getting yourself into. Good luck anyway mate, hope it works out for you.

edit: Just wanted to add: You say that the money you might earn plays a big part in your decisions; just keep in mind that if you don't like doing something for a few years in college, how are you going to feel doing it for the following 40 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I have to agree with Soccer. I did computer science straight out of school without really researching the course. Big mistake
    If only you had told me this in June :p Oh well, I'll start fresh next year....

Advertisement