Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teach yourself chemistry

• 11-10-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I am looking to do medicine next year. I have 555 cao points but I never did chemistry so I will attempt to teach myself the subject in 7 months. Is this possible in your opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭hatethisfeeling

I picked up chem this year and even though I got grinds during the summer and continue to get them I am struggling a bit. I think you would be better off not doing it tbh you would be better off consentrating on your points this year and do chemistry next year... that being said you could do it but you will definetly need a grind or two for the more difficult concepts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You'd be hard pressed to learn Chemistry by yourself. It's probably the most challenging of the sciences despite the course's length.

How about doing the six year Medicine course with Pre-Med?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I agree, i'm studying it aswell at the moment and i think i would have struggled to grasp some of the concepts on my own. It's also extremely tightly marked and there are so many tiny mistakes you'd make unless pointed out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

I picked up chem this year and even though I got grinds during the summer and continue to get them I am struggling a bit. I think you would be better off not doing it tbh you would be better off consentrating on your points this year and do chemistry next year... that being said you could do it but you will definetly need a grind or two for the more difficult concepts.
    You cant do that for medicine, you have to sit it all in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

Teutorix wrote: »
    You cant do that for medicine, you have to sit it all in one go.

so you're sayimg that i'd have to repeat my leaving with chemistry if i want to be accepted into medecine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Did chemistry in a year, got an A2 (89%), currently waiting to see if it got upgraded to an A1....

Anyway it's not hard, ESPECIALLY if you're only doing that one subject

dynamot wrote: »
    so you're sayimg that i'd have to repeat my leaving with chemistry if i want to be accepted into medecine?
    Unless you pick a university that dosent require chemistry for medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

dynamot wrote: »

Yes. You need to satisfy all requirements for entry to Medicine in one sitting of the LC. And you also have to do the HPAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Teutorix wrote: »
    Unless you pick a university that dosent require chemistry for medicine.

Yes. There are a few options that do not insist on leaving cert chemistry

http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/images/documents/2011%20admission%20guide%20to%20undergraduate%20medicine.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

If you got 555 then that extra few points will make fúck all difference, I don't mean to be harsh but if you can't get into Medicine via HPAT with 555 points maybe you're not cut out for it, You should be a lot more confident in your abilities rather than dismissing your achievement as "not enough".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you got 555 then that extra few points will make fúck all difference, I don't mean to be harsh but if you can't get into Medicine via HPAT with 555 points maybe you're not cut out for it, You should be a lot more confident in your abilities rather than dismissing your achievement as "not enough".
    He has got a point you know...

As you near 600 points it gets more and more difficult to get points. You need to remember that for every 5 points you only achieve 1 point after adjusting it for Medicine.

Thread is about the chemistry requirement not points :confused:

I didnt even do the HPAT, or apply for medicine last year. Thats why i'm hoping to do it this year!

A student achieving 555 is well capable of Medicine, it's just that there is so much demand for the course. Don't be so dismissive of the OPs ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

Im doing this myself but not trying to self teach, I think if you can afford it you really should get grinds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

A student achieving 555 is well capable of Medicine, it's just that there is so much demand for the course. Don't be so dismissive of the OPs ability.
    He/She wasn't really being dismissive. Just wait till you get to college and you will see if your cut out for it or not. The Leaving is a breeze in terms of getting marks and good grades, if your smart enough to know what your doing and what you have to do, rather then pure intellect.

And to the OP yes you can learn chemistry in a year, and pass, and probably do well. Just focus, get very familiar to the exam format and try to understand rather then learn off. Then you'll be flying buddy. 555? Your well able ;) good luck hope you get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

I'm in UCD med and i think hardly anyone would have gotten in on 555 (I would have but I'm in the minority) You seem to be assuming that the HPAT can measure in any way what you're 'cut out for' which is simply not true. As for doing chemistry in a year yes it's possible but all requirements must be sat in one year and chemistry isn't a requirement for most courses

lctake2 wrote: »
    I'm in UCD med and i think hardly anyone would have gotten in on 555 (I would have but I'm in the minority) You seem to be assuming that the HPAT can measure in any way what you're 'cut out for' which is simply not true. As for doing chemistry in a year yes it's possible but all requirements must be sat in one year and chemistry isn't a requirement for most courses

What are you talking about? 555 translates into 551 med points. The max you can therefore get is 560, and thats with with a perfect leaving. Thats hardly a huge gap.

551 med points, a decent HPAT would get you in, 600 points is 560, could make all the difference in the end but not really worth the extra effort, for example a guy in a nearby school got 515 points in the LC but like 98th percentile in the HPAT so he got in, he's in UCD now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

Yeah I agree obviouly you need a decent LC but the HPAT really does decide it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 miesVanDerRohe

Dynamot, Im in the same boat having 555 points from my leaving cert and looking to study med next year. I have an A1 in biology and physics however I dont have chemistry. I plan on sitting the HPAT in Feb and doing chemistry in the Leaving cert in 2011. I am amazed at certain people on this site giving you worrying and false info about not being able to do chemistry seperately (and apparently one of them is actually studying medicine!)

To clarify, you must satisfy all the POINTS in one sitting but doing a single subject to satisfy the subject requirements is fine. I am doing Chemistry as I want to study in UCC which requires all three science subjects but I could do premed elsewhere as a second option. I am doing it myself but getting grinds when needed. I have been assured I should be well able to handle this as I only need a C3 in higher level. Best of luck with the study!!

Dynamot, Im in the same boat having 555 points from my leaving cert and looking to study med next year. I have an A1 in biology and physics however I dont have chemistry. I plan on sitting the HPAT in Feb and doing chemistry in the Leaving cert in 2011. I am amazed at certain people on this site giving you worrying and false info about not being able to do chemistry seperately (and apparently one of them is actually studying medicine!)

To clarify, you must satisfy all the POINTS in one sitting but doing a single subject to satisfy the subject requirements is fine. I am doing Chemistry as I want to study in UCC which requires all three science subjects but I could do premed elsewhere as a second option. I am doing it myself but getting grinds when needed. I have been assured I should be well able to handle this as I only need a C3 in higher level. Best of luck with the study!!

You are the one giving false information. You MUST meet all subject requirements in one sitting for Medicine since the HPAT came in. For all other courses, it is as it always was: subject requirements can be taken from any sitting of the LC

This is from Qualifax as a sample : Entry requirements for Medicine for NUIG
    Minimum Entry Requirements - Medicine (6 year)

Minimum Grade HC3 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at H or O level in the Leaving Certificate including: Irish, English, another language, Mathematics, a laboratory science subject i.e. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint) or Agricultural Science and any other subject recognised for entry purposes.

Minimum Points Requirement
    480 points from the same sitting of the Leaving Certificate Examination. (Applicants must achieve both the required subjects and the points in the same sitting)

That post has potentially ruined someones life :O

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

Yeah now they can't get it......

That post has potentially ruined someones life :O

Better they hear it now and have time to fix it rather than next August when they wonder why they didn't get an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

I am doing Chemistry as I want to study in UCC which requires all three science subjects

The requirement for UCC is HC3 Chemistry and HC3 in either physics or biology (and as said already all in the one year).

http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/images/documents/2011%20admission%20guide%20to%20undergraduate%20medicine.pdf

You can still get into UCC by doing the entire leaving cert again in 2011.

You can still get into UCC by doing the entire leaving cert again in 2011.

Well that's much better...NOT.

Advertisement