Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cats or Dogs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Dogs are sound. You never know where you are with a cat - and they have sharp claws :(

A cat could not play with a deer, for example:

strobe wrote: »
    (dog) the friendly, open, all ways up for a laugh one that would fight to the death for you or (cat) the nervous, twitchy, loner that spends most of the day moping around the place. Dogs ftw.

You said it! :)

strobe wrote: »
    (dog)one that would fight to the death for you

As much as I prefer dogs over cats, I have to disagree with you there. Cats can be very protective over their owners. My friend has a cat that gets hostile when people are around her (my friend), but once you get to know the cat, it´s fine!

So, yes, I respect cats, but dogs for the trust!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

If you die a cat will begin to eat you before your body is cold, a dog is likely to try to protect your body.

I will take a dog anyday!

Wrong. Cats are hunters by nature, dogs are more likely to be carrion feeders.

Why do "dog people" always use this false BS as an excuse to dislike cats/to like dogs. You can like one without having to hate the other....

I like both myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Crap thread lame fail.

Like asking "which do you prefer...laughter or yoghurt, holidays or sunrise, hot bath or movies?"

Crap comparison.

END of puke-rant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

I like dogs but much prefer cats.

As someone else said, the people on here saying they don't like cats as they're sneaky/don't have a personality/aren't loving obviously haven't owned a cat.

Since I was born there have been a series of about 12 cats living in my house. Each one has it's own personality and mannerisms. Some don't like being picked up, others will jump on your lap and snuggle up the minute you sit down.

It's like lovely cuddly dogs vs. sh1tty little ratty dogs. There are always good ones and bad ones.

I prefer cats as it takes a while for them to trust you, but once they do they always show their love albeit in different ways.
    And it's always nice to wake up on a cold morning with your cat wrapped around your head/feet :pac:

Crap thread lame fail.

Prime example of a dumbass AH poster. Shouldn't you be in bed? "School tomorrow!" Says me, self employed, and laughing at your sorry ass. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

dogs, they are much more loyal. the only good thing for a cat is a pillow case, bricks and the nearest canal/river

Christ you dubs & animal torture?!!

Christ you dubs & animal torture?!!

Dubliners and animal torture? What the hell on your on about. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sometimes I wonder if people have actually had any interactions at all with cats.

Prefer cats, nothing against dogs, they're fantastic creatures in their own right, love German Shepards particularly . I prefer a cats independence though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I think all cats are the reincarnation of cleoprata. The have all her attributes: regalness, ownership, whole world is there to serve me. The cat is Queen of where she is.

Still a dog person. That youtube vid of sneaky cat is creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

strongly dislike dogs, prefer cats as they don't come up and bark/growl at you if they're untrained, or sniff you getting their snot all over ones jeans, claw at you thereby getting their dirt all over ones jeans etc. I don't mind properly trained dogs that keep to themselves, or dogs that sniff at the pavement, you can tell they'll be alright because they're introverted dogs. Jack russels are little sh1ts, pitbulls should be banned outright, great danes etc all should be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

dogging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I prefer dogs, have 2 of them. Cats are to odd for me. At least I always know where I stand with my dogs. I think I've only met one cat that I had any time for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

If you die a cat will begin to eat you before your body is cold, a dog is likely to try to protect your body.

I will take a dog anyday!

If me and you died in the same room and I had nothing to eat...I'd eat you too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I tell ya, no cat can ever beat my Border Collie. Sure, the cats are sly things, but my dog can easily outsmart them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

Cats get so boring when they get old bit like humans and they sleep about 20 hours a day, our cat wants nothing to do with us anymore, on the other hand our 8 month old dog is amazing, so friendly and a real joy to be around.
    so i vote for dogs but cats are a good aswell, they practically look after themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I generally think people who consider cats as sly, sneaky or untrustworthy are a wee bit simple. What the feck is wrong with you people? Those old Tom & Jerry cartoons aren't to be taken seriously you know?

Do you not realise domestic cats have quite small brains & don't actually have the intellectual capacity to execute acts of deception? Cats are relatively stupid animals, they act on instinct much more than dogs. Its not possible for them to be deliberately sneaky. It really is a simpleton's observation based on their appearance, agility & mannerisms.

Dogs are painfully loyal almost stupidly loyal. They are hopelessly dependant on their owners & its this which people find so endearing & ultimately why most people prefer dogs. They assume an almost child like status which is why you often see childless couples with 2 or 3 dogs.
    Also there are certain types of dogs which are so small & pathetic they are almost unrecognisable as dogs. (those little rat-dogs you see in womens handbags. WTF??!)

I like both cats & dogs but in different ways for each species. I like dogs because they can be more like a an old friend rather than just a pet, you can head out for a long walk with a dog & not feel alone.

I like cats because they are predatory marvels & just tough little bastards that demand respect & hand out affection sparingly. When you do earn their friendship & trust its pretty cool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dogs are better, and don't give the cold shoulder!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

strongly dislike dogs, prefer cats as they don't come up and bark/growl at you if they're untrained, or sniff you getting their snot all over ones jeans, claw at you thereby getting their dirt all over ones jeans etc. I don't mind properly trained dogs that keep to themselves, or dogs that sniff at the pavement, you can tell they'll be alright because they're introverted dogs. Jack russels are little sh1ts, pitbulls should be banned outright, great danes etc all should be banned.

dogs will growl/bark at you if they dont trust you, nothing to do with untrained! if a dog senses you as threat they will protect their owners!

would never leave a small child with a cat, they can really go to town on someones face, scratches to eyes, but a dog will gladly play with a child! my grany had a cat, hated it, dirty **** of thing, always dragging in dead animals into the house! grew up with dogs all my life, one was around for 11 years, my current dog is 10 and i would chose to go for a walk with him rather than most people, he gets up to all sorts exploring! he would never bring anything that he caught into the house, he would drop it or bury it before coming into the house! he retrieved an injured fish in the canal during the summer, must have spent half hour jumping back and forth and poking it with his nose trying to figure out what the hell it was!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

I wish all cats died a painful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Which do you prefer?

I don't like cats much. They're sneaky and don't show much emotion. Dogs are straightforward enough.

Cats.
    Dogs are needy, smelly and overall a bloody nuisance.

flas wrote: »
    dogs will growl/bark at you if they dont trust you, nothing to do with untrained! if a dog senses you as threat they will protect their owners!

would never leave a small child with a cat, they can really go to town on someones face, scratches to eyes, but a dog will gladly play with a child! my grany had a cat, hated it, dirty **** of thing, always dragging in dead animals into the house! grew up with dogs all my life, one was around for 11 years, my current dog is 10 and i would chose to go for a walk with him rather than most people, he gets up to all sorts exploring! he would never bring anything that he caught into the house, he would drop it or bury it before coming into the house! he retrieved an injured fish in the canal during the summer, must have spent half hour jumping back and forth and poking it with his nose trying to figure out what the hell it was!

As someone who grew up with cats, but was attacked by a dog as a small child, I do beg to differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

This thread seems vaguely familiar.

Sometimes I wonder if people have actually had any interactions at all with cats.

Prefer cats, nothing against dogs, they're fantastic creatures in their own right, love German Shepards particularly . I prefer a cats independence though.

It's something that puzzled me ever since I came to this country. I've never been anywhere where some many people seem to loath cats so much.
    We've just rescued an abandoned tom last week, we've now got 3 cats living with us, and the disgust most people here show for them is utterly unreal.

Considering that we're talking about an animal that will keep its distance unless actively encouraged otherwise, the mindset of a lot of people is quite surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Well considering I'm known as "the mad cat lady" to my friends I would have to go with cat person. I had 4 but one got hit by a car a month ago :( and we had to put her to sleep as her pelvis was beyond repair. I have 3 now and they are just the most cuddily, cutest and loving things ever, I love kitty face cuddles. However, as soon as I get my own house with good garden I will be getting two cat-friendly dogs. All animals are awesome really, except for cockroaches, they're scary.

curlzy wrote: »
    Well considering I'm known as "the mad cat lady" to my friends I would have to go with cat person. I had 4 but one got hit by a car a month ago :(. I have 3 now and they are just the most cuddily, cutest and loving things ever, I love kitty face cuddles. However, as soon as I get my own house with good garden I will be getting two cat-friendly dogs. All animals are awesome really, except for cockroaches, they're scary.

Sorry to hear about the cat getting run over :(
    I'm always worried for mine, but they seem to generally stay well away from cars, and from the road, so I hope they'll be safe.

I have to say that I'm scared of most dogs except small ones (I figure they can't open their jaws wide enough to inflict serious damage), but husband might want a dog some time in the future. I've no idea how the cats will take that....

Spiders. Spiders are scary, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I wish all cats died a painful death.

Wow, what a knackery scummy thing to say, I wish the same on you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cats are my favourite. Clean, self reliant, stoic.
    The clean bit I could never get. They basically spit on themselves.:D Plus they can transmit more diseases to humans than dogs. Stands to reason I suppose, we've not been around them for nearly as long.

What I find interesting is what cat and dog people project onto their chosen pet or what they project onto the pet they dislike. The "sneaky cat" notion as an example. Dogs being domesticated wolves are arguably far more "sneaky", they just cover it up better. While domesticated cats have a pack order, they're nowhere near as tuned into that as dogs. The latter will jostle for position most of its life if given half the chance. Particularly if you get an excessively alpha one. Dogs are hard wired for this. Like I say they're wolves. They're a subspecies of each other and a week in a wolf pack is like an episode of Dallas :D They can be more loyal, but it can also be loyalty to the pack. If you're not dominant enough, depending on the dog you can end up down the heap pretty quickly. EG the little snappy yoke that takes over a chair and growls at the family if they approach. Or the friendly mutt that gets real aggressive with his or her food bowl. He or she is friendly, but chances are high it sees you as lower in the pecking order.

Cats as the hunters compared to dogs? Yes as they are solitary hunters so in the suburban environment look more self reliant. Dogs are pack hunters. Ask any farmer who has had rover and his mates who are little dotes at home come into a field of his sheep. If the world went all mad max in the morning and dogs got out of the houses, you would be way more threatened by dogs as a survivor. You'd also survive longer yourself if you had a pack with you. Hence we got together in the first place. The dog/human interaction has been more mutually beneficial to us both through the millennia. Cats were great when we got into farming as they protected grain stocks from rodents, but they're more "pets" than dogs. I suppose as we've become more urban and modern cats suit us more and more? Maybe this is also why the toy dog breeds got more popular? They're like catdogs?

Now the projection of positive traits I find interesting and often enough informative. Cat people who go on about independence and self reliance IMHO and IME reflect that in themselves. Ditto for dog people who go on about blind loyalty and affection.

I defo don't get the aggression towards cats that seems to be out there though :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I prefer dogs although I adore cats also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I like both...doggy and pussy..

Wibbs wrote: »

Now the projection of positive traits I find interesting and often enough informative. Cat people who go on about independence and self reliance IMHO and IME reflect that in themselves. Ditto for dog people who go on about blind loyalty and affection.

I defo don't get the aggression towards cats that seems to be out there though :confused:

I do agree with the projection bit there.
    At the end of the day, a cat's a cat and a dog's a dog, and neither of them is entirely independent (just have a look at what shape stray cats tend to be in) nor loyal (the nonsense about a dog not eating you when you die is ridiculous... if there's nothing else around, the dog will regard you as food just as quick as the cat), they're just animals with different programs to survive.

However, when you ask people which they prefer, you tend to get very interesting replies.
    Suffice to say that I've always tended to keep my distance from people roaring about the loyalty of dogs.... I find loyalty a rather ambiguous virtue, and people who value it make me wonder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shenshen wrote: »
    Suffice to say that I've always tended to keep my distance from people roaring about the loyalty of dogs.... I find loyalty a rather ambiguous virtue, and people who value it make me wonder.
    Well you see I would be the opposite :D I would consider loyalty as anything but ambiguous and have found that the excessively "cat people"(for the purposes of this thread) who deride it (again excessively) less trustworthy on that score. They may be loyal but its far more conditional and they tend to be more self centered.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

None of them ,cats are sly cunning little feckers ,while dogs are idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

In general I like them both, though it can depend on the individual cat or dog.

We had a cat at home, in Ireland. A fine animal.

Dogs I like, just other peoples. Never had one, because i'm always moving with work.

Well you see I would be the opposite :D I would consider loyalty as anything but ambiguous and have found that the excessively "cat people"(for the purposes of this thread) who deride it (again excessively) less trustworthy on that score. They may be loyal but its far more conditional and they tend to be more self centered.

See, I would prefer that. I would always prefer conditional loyalty (i.e. Loyalty that I have to earn and that can't be taken for granted) to blind and cheap loyalty given without choice in the matter.
    But that's just me, I don't particularly like sheep that way. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I presume Madra means DOG? so I voted Madra.

Sounds a bit like a curry, oh no, that's a Madras :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Prime example of a dumbass AH poster. Shouldn't you be in bed? "School tomorrow!" Says me, self employed, and laughing at your sorry ass. :D

That was good. Self-employed? Self-abused more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I prefer dogs than cats but cats are easier to keep like what the other poster said no walks needed etc.

I have a family dog that needs a lot of attention! Dad used to say it is like having more childen in the house!! A lot of colourful balls can be found everywhere at home and small toys can be found both in the house ( I found one in the bathroom floor dont ask!)and around the garden. If they go - the home is not a home without them if you get me!

We used to have cats and they are so playful - running around - one of them was called Socky cos he loved socks!! He would take one and ran and ran! So we created a special rolled up socks with his name sown on it!

Anyway I love dogs more cos it loves me back eg licking me etc! so I voted the dogs (Madra??)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

None of them ,cats are sly cunning little feckers ,while dogs are idiots

Ah no!! I hope you dont mean it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Well Ive never had a dog, but have always had at least one cat since i was small till i was about 19-20 so id say cats.

What does 'Dogari Catuar' mean in English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Dogs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cats

You mean Dogs & Cats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Dogs usually make me smile. Cats don't not nearly as much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well terriers blow the doors off any cat as a ratter. The spider on the pillow is cute. Well... I dunno people reckon its the cat bringing you a pressie. I reckon he or she is thinking "OK. I've caught this yoke. Now what? I'm sure as hell not eating it. Will you look at the state of the thing. The dog looked at me as if I was mad. Then again he licks his own unmentionables so how was I to know? Then again he did point out, rudely I thought, that I lick my entire body. I know, my human eats mad stuff I'll give it to them. They always think this crap's cute anyway".

When a car brings you back a mouse or a bird, they're showing off their hunting skills. They'll start rubbing against you being so proud and they'll always leave it where you can find it so I like to think they 'gave' it to us.

Our cat used to being back half eaten subways aswell though :pac:

I miss my old cat Tiddles :(

I love both animals. Dogs and cats are unique, but equally a joy to own. And bringing a dog to a vet is a lot easier. We had to get a SWAT in to just get the cat into a cage.

I do love the way a dog greets you even if you only left the house to put something in the bin! The cat is like 'Ohhh..you again..'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Chorizo

Dogs. A dog would stay by your side if you died. A cat would eat you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I love animals in general. Id pick cats though. At least they dont maul small children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's something that puzzled me ever since I came to this country. I've never been anywhere where some many people seem to loath cats so much.
    We've just rescued an abandoned tom last week, we've now got 3 cats living with us, and the disgust most people here show for them is utterly unreal.

Considering that we're talking about an animal that will keep its distance unless actively encouraged otherwise, the mindset of a lot of people is quite surreal.
    I agree, its completely unwarranted. Cats kill rodents for **** sakes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement