Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have loads of windfall apples..now what?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to preserve these apples, I have sweet and cookers.

I have googled recipies but applesauce or apple chutney would not go down well in my house.

Any hints or tips welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dkd

Cider!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

lol

If it was easy enough, without having to buy a load of stuff, I'd give it a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dkd

Cider is cheap to make if you have lots of apples. It takes a small bit of effort though because you need to pulp/shred/crush the apples and then squeez the juice out. You then only need patience as the juice if left in a large bucket/barrell with a cloth cover to prevent crap falling will ferment away into cider. This gives you a few months to read up on bottling and collect suitable bottles. Eating apples give you dry to very dry cider. Really sour cookers give you sweet cider. The above method gives you still/traditional cider for drinking next summer.

Edit: google traditional cider making and look up jimsbeerkit.co.uk for tips and info

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Apple jelly? It's delicious on toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Wrap them in newspaper and store in a cool dry place they should keep for about 2 months, you can use them bit by bit over this time.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the tips!

Have a few things to look up now........apple jelly and cider, and never thought about how I would store them, thanks emc2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

If you want to store them to use in cooking tarts, crumbles etc over the year, I would stew them and freeze the stewed apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Get a juicer and juice all your apples. Store in airtight bottles and you have lovely gorgeous apple juice. Leave them for long enough (1 year maybe?) and you'll have lovely gorgeous cider!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

dkd wrote: »
    Cider is cheap to make if you have lots of apples. It takes a small bit of effort though because you need to pulp/shred/crush the apples and then squeez the juice out. You then only need patience as the juice if left in a large bucket/barrell with a cloth cover to prevent crap falling will ferment away into cider. This gives you a few months to read up on bottling and collect suitable bottles. Eating apples give you dry to very dry cider. Really sour cookers give you sweet cider. The above method gives you still/traditional cider for drinking next summer.

Edit: google traditional cider making and look up jimsbeerkit.co.uk for tips and info

We've a shedload of apples too this year, and wouldn't mind giving this a go. I've googled traditional cider making and checked out a few recipes. Any one in particular that would be good to follow?

Thanks for all the replies!
    Have a few jam jars collected and going to make some apple jelly......and then apple juice/cider.
    Am going to try a very amateur cider, ie juice all apples and what we dont use in a week I will try and let ferment....am off to the Brewing thread now.

• Advertisement

Bawnmore wrote: »
    We've a shedload of apples too this year, and wouldn't mind giving this a go. I've googled traditional cider making and checked out a few recipes. Any one in particular that would be good to follow?

Sorry Bawnmore the only advice I can give is pop into the Beer thread. They have plenty of posts/links on there about cider making. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 johnnysexsmith

Homemade chutney

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh LOADS OF LOVELY CIDER

Very simple to make

one some that one of boardies from here made during the week, fecking lovely

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1353

I have a gallon of apple juice fermenting presently!!
    Am nervous and excited at the prospect of having some homemade cider.

No waste this year!

Advertisement