Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection problems with wireless extender

Options
  • 11-10-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I purchased a wireless extender from Sitecom: http://www.sitecom.com/Wireless-Range-Extender-300N/p/714

Now i set it up using the lan cable and plugging it into the laptop and accessing it via its ip 192.168.0.234 and setting it in repeater mode

My main router is a motorola netopia 2247 supplied by Eircom. When setting up the extender it recognises this router on the wireless site survey. Sitecom advise you to set your laptop to a static IP address which i have done but it will not connect. It just says limited connectivity.

Now on a few forums it said that perhaps the Site com ip address is a different subnet of the netopia router and as it turned out it was.

IP Address of Netopia router: 192.168.1.254
    Original Address of Sitecom Extender: 192.168.0.234
    Changed Sitecom Extender IP to: 192.168.1.234

Is this the correct thing to do? Also it asks for a default gateway address on the Sitecom Extender:

Original ip of Sitecom default gateway: 192.168.0.1
    What should I change this to or does it matter?

When i set the static ip address on the laptop here is what i entered:

IP Address: 192.168.1.10
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.254

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.254

I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this so can you guys spot something that may be casuing a problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Shouldn't matter what ip its got if You login and make sure dhcp is disabled on the sitecom so that the Netopia handles all dhcp and routing

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Shouldn't matter what ip its got if You login and make sure dhcp is disabled on the sitecom so that the Netopia handles all dhcp and routing

Ya i thought that but I only changed the ip on the sitecom after it wouldnt work. DHCP is disabled on the sitecom from the start it doesnt work either way so I am a bit stumped. Anything to do with the static ip i entered for the laptop?. Sitecom specify that the laptop will not connect without a static ip being set.

Ya i thought that but I only changed the ip on the sitecom after it wouldnt work. DHCP is disabled on the sitecom from the start it doesnt work either way so I am a bit stumped. Anything to do with the static ip i entered for the laptop?. Sitecom specify that the laptop will not connect without a static ip being set.

A static ip may be needed to connect to it and configure it, but not for it to function, for this You need to remove the static ip and get a dhcp lease from the Netopia.

Its not a great idea to have a static ip on a wireless card, it would leave you in bother joining some other network later.

A static ip may be needed to connect to it and configure it, but not for it to function, for this You need to remove the static ip and get a dhcp lease from the Netopia.

Its not a great idea to have a static ip on a wireless card, it would leave you in bother joining some other network later.

No probs mate I will remove it in the morning and set it up again.

This is the reason that has been given for the fixed ip address:
    You have to set the PC or laptop you are connecting to the WL 330 to have a fixed IP address since the DHCP server on the range extender has been turned off. Most laptops will be set to be assigned an IP address automatically by default, so if that isn't changed, it won't connect to the network.

• Advertisement

Hold on, I get the feeling its not an access point but actually routes and I see after a google that they offer for sale both WL 330 access point and WL 330 range extender as two seperate products
    ........................... therefore leave the original ip on the Sitecom 192.168.0.234 (different subnet to Netopia) and set dhcp to on and take static ip off the laptop

Hold on, I get the feeling its not an access point but actually routes and I see after a google that they offer for sale both WL 330 access point and WL 330 range extender as two seperate products
    ........................... therefore leave the original ip on the Sitecom 192.168.0.234 (different subnet to Netopia) and set dhcp to on and take static ip off the laptop

No probs I will let you know how I get on with that tomorrow. Cheers for the help, these things would drive ya mad!

Took static ip off and left dhcp off on the sitecom and everything is working like a dream. Apart from this hiccup its a fantastic product.

Advertisement