Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Beatle had the best solo career?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

For me, probably

George
    John
    Paul
    Ringo ( I probably should brush up on my knowledge of him)

Which Beatle had the best solo career (wings, plastic Ono and Traveling Wilburys inc) 56 votes

John
    0% 0 votes
    Paul
    41% 23 votes
    George
    37% 21 votes
    Ringo
    21% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Macca by a country mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

Macca by a country mile

His affiliation to thoughtless, pop tunes loses him a few points IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

I honestly think that the only one who did anything of a comparable standard to the Beatles was John on the Plastic Ono Band & Imagine records.

In the space of six months Macca went from the being the chief architect of side 2 on Abbey Road to his first solo record.One of the great artistic nosedives in popular music.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

George Harrison wins off the back of "All Things Must Pass". Brilliant, Brilliant album.

John Lennon was pretty damn good but was patchy, paul, overrated a tad to be honest, mull of kintery i'm looking at you. And Ringo god bless him he's a tryer. Although i always liked "It Dont Come Easy".

George Harrison wins off the back of "All Things Must Pass".

John Lennon was pretty damn good but was patchy,

Maybe but it went tits up for Harrison after that one record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

Glassheart wrote: »

Oh, come on, Have you Heard "Cloud Nine"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Lennon very patchy.

Macca put out some good LPs, yes definitely more poptastic but definitely plenty of quality there. He has his own style, not all to my taste, but definitely distinctive and personal. And most importantly he never tried to compete with his own Beatles past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

George and John had their moments. George followed his muse more, but really seemed to be more of a 'well kept secret'.

Lennon suffered from not having to compete with anybody. If McCartney only brought one thing to the Beatles, it was the way he made Lennon constantly raise his game. Lennon had a similar effect on Paul and that's why, really, neither of them had a solo career that's universally lauded.

However, for my own part, McCartney has had the better songs.

Maybe I'm Amazed is a copper-bottomed classic. Band on the Run is a belter of an album. Live and Let Die is one of the finest Bond themes ever. Even No More Lonely Nights takes the same chord progression as Here There and Everywhere and (with a little bit of help from Dave Gilmour) brings it to a new level. Flowers in the Dirt was a fine set too and his last 'Fireman' album shows he still has fire in his belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

for me Paul was consistantly good and occasionally as good as John or Georges best i.e. maybe im amazed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭cml387

"Wings was the group The Beatles could have been"

Alan Partridge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Of the Beatles, Ringo had the first Top 10 single as a Solo artist with "It Don't Come Easy" in 1971. And then there was "Thomas the Tank Engine" ........:)

Icaras wrote: »
    for me Paul was consistantly good and occasionally as good as John or Georges best i.e. maybe im amazed

Macca toured with a working band while the others did the studio artist thing.

His best moments are largely forgotten but "Live and Let Die" was covered by Guns and Roses and is the most memorable of the Bond theme songs. "Band on the Run" "Jet" but the underated "Waterfalls" and "Coming Up (Like a Flower)" certainly do the business.

Then you have his colloborations with Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson did give him great success -which showed he could pull the finger out when colloborating with the right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

I fleetingly thought McCartney but then thought, 'nah, that's just the most successful'.

Then thought, 'Lennon, obviously'.

Then someone mentioned The Travelling Wilburys and boom!...

I love that band :D:

But Harrison had Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynn, and Tom Petty on board, so it's hardly a fair fight!

So Lennon then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Great question OP, but I picked John as he's the guy I've listened to the most.

As for Paul...

"Who's Wings?"

-"They're only the band the Beatles could have been!" -Alan Partridge

This was a triple record which was quite ambitous by any standards and a lot of the material for that period. It was very expensive and bltzed the charts.

He also had a lot of success with his Bangladesh thing which he concentrated on. So on a solo level he was the equal of Lennon easily.

CDfm wrote: »
    This was a triple record which was quite ambitous by any standards and a lot of the material for that period. It was very expensive and bltzed the charts.

He also had a lot of success with his Bangladesh thing which he concentrated on. So on a solo level he was the equal of Lennon easily.

I don't see how that makes him equal to Lennon at all.
    He blew his entire creative wad on that first record and he never really wrote a great song after that.

Lennon was only active for five years after the Beatles split too.

I don't see how that makes him equal to Lennon at all.
    He blew his entire creative wad on that first record and he never really wrote a great song after that.

Lennon was only active for five years after the Beatles split too.

He also did the Concert for Bangladesh another triple album and movie and the first of the Live Aid style benefit gigs and predating Live Aid by 15 years.

So post Beatle break up Harrison was probably the biggest Beatle in terms of output. Lennon also recorded the Rock n Roll LP and Harrison produced the Rutles and Life of Brian .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Went for John but he just shaded Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

McCartney.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Paul McCartney for me. I love The Frog Chorus:

• Advertisement

+1 on the Frog Chorus :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Was about to post We all stand together myself :D. Obviously Paul, because of that song.

Tropic Island Hum is pretty good too:

George Harrison's music is very good too. John Lennon's was a bit pretentious imo. Couldn't even think of any Ringo Starr music :/.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

John.

Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are really great albums, and there's at least another CD's worth of great songs from the rest. I just like his style. Whether it's a love song or a rant it's real.

I just plain don't like McCartney's 'silly pop tunes'. A handfull sound great alright (Maybe I'm Amazed, Live and Let Die) but not sure I could stick an album's worth. No substance.

Should probably give Harrison's stuff a proper listen to again. I like it, just a little too wishy-washy at times maybe.

Ringo... ah, Ringo. Look at him go. Good drumming on Plastic Ono Band!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

McCartney, having seen him live several times and not having seen the others. Wings were a great band live and had great material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

The question is a little bit unfair as if Lennon was still alive I'm sure his legacy would be viewed in a different light. But that's another argument I suppose. Anyway, for me it's a toss-up between McCartney and Harrison. I love the way Harrison opened himself up to Indian music but McCartney has his experimental side to. Because of my age (37) McCartney was much more prominent over the years for me but...okay, George it is.

The question is a little bit unfair as if Lennon was still alive I'm sure his legacy would be viewed in a different light. But that's another argument I suppose. Anyway, for me it's a toss-up between McCartney and Harrison. I love the way Harrison opened himself up to Indian music but McCartney has his experimental side to. Because of my age (37) McCartney was much more prominent over the years for me but...okay, George it is.

Of course it is well known that George had the strongest Irish Roots and Ringo the least -so I am not saying that is a barometer on their talents but I am sticking it in here cos I can :D

http://www.thebeatlesandireland.com/test_10.html

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

George's debut solo album, All Things Must Pass, is one of my favourite albums. His other albums were a bit poor, particularly the follow up to All Things Must Pass which was Living In The Material World, Don't Let Me Wait Too Long being one of a very few songs on the album of high quality.

Paul's solo career was hit and miss. Most of his albums were half good but also half bad. Disappointing debut album full of instrumentals and half finished songs that were nowhere near his Beatles standard. His solo career was much like the lighter songs he did in The Beatles like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da or Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Band On The Run and Tug of War were decent albums tho.

John's solo career was inconsistent. Yoko ruined some of his albums with that dreadful voice of hers. Didn't like some of the bluesy or political songs he did.

And Ringo.....I think that says it all;)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

indeed you're right, most conservative man ever in the history of pop music

And Ringo.....I think that says it all;)

So you are running with Ringo then :D
    Originally Posted by thenakedanddead viewpost.gif

Ya just asked for this

indeed you're right, most conservative man ever in the history of pop music

Lets not dis Cliff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Macca by a country mile

Here here, very prolific indeed, mind you there has been an awful of drivel from Macca too!

I think George has a good back catalogue, alas John was only beginning to 'get back' excuse the pun into recording starting over with the album 'Double Fantasy' when his life was cruely taken in 1980, and as for Ringo, well he's done alright I suppose . . .

Advertisement