Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how i do point my server to my domain name?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

i just bought a domain name from this site hover.com,

i have a webpage running on my local machine. i'm using apache on windows(please dont crucify me,i am yet to install linux)

any idea how to point my site to my domain name?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

in your DNS control panel you need to create an A Record to point to your public IP address. Then on your firewall forward all traffic on Port 80 to your server internal IP address

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

in your DNS control panel you need to create an A Record to point to your public IP address. Then on your firewall forward all traffic on Port 80 to your server internal IP address
    thanks for that..,i've made the firewall change but am having a little problem in findin the "DNS control panel"?

is it in apache?

No it will be the control panel of the DNS provider. I think the link is https://www.hover.com/login

When you signed up you will have been given a username and password, once you log in there should be an option to "manage DNS" or similar.

Create an A Record from there

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I assume this website is running on some sort of server with a static IP address?

If not, would you not pay a couple of dollars a month for proper hosting?

Shzm wrote: »
    I assume this website is running on some sort of server with a static IP address?

If not, would you not pay a couple of dollars a month for proper hosting?

True but you learn nothing by doing that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

True but you learn nothing by doing that ;)
    Depending on your broadband provider you could actually be in breach of their terms of service ..

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

Blacknight wrote: »
    Depending on your broadband provider you could actually be in breach of their terms of service ..

r u serious, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

shrewd wrote: »
    r u serious, how?
    A lot of broadband providers will specifically state as much in their terms and conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

shrewd wrote: »
    thanks for that..,i've made the firewall change but am having a little problem in findin the "DNS control panel"?

is it in apache?

I think you have the way this works bawards..

You point the domain to the server address. no the other way around.

In your domain control panel there should be an option to point it to the server address.

A lot of broadband providers will specifically state as much in their terms and conditions

eh??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not to mention the fact that if there's a power cut and you restart your router, you'll usually get a new IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

What Blacknight is referring to is that it is often in breach of T&S if you host an Internet service (whether for public or private use) and provide remote access via your domestic broadband connection.

E.g. Running a web server / media server / game server / etc on your home network, and allowing remote connections in to it via your broadband. However I would imagine it is assessed on a case by case basis where the amount of traffic/bandwidth required by the service would determine an intervention by your ISP.

It's crap I know, but just because you have residential broadband, it doesn't mean you can do what you like with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that if there's a power cut and you restart your router, you'll usually get a new IP address.
    Haven't used it myself, but apparently: http://www.dyndns.com/

Advertisement