Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cockroaches in Dublin

Options
  • 11-10-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Until recently I've never seen a cockroach in Ireland

last week walking past a strip of 5 cafés + 1restarant, just as the curb meets the roads, I seen a massive cockroach walking along.

would this put you off getting a coffee or food from these places?
    and should I report this?

to be honest I didn't want get anything from any of these shops along that part of the street, as I don't know where the roach came from?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

They are not that rare any more over here, I know some pest companies have been offering a roach service for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Their not uncommon. My sister worked in a hospital kitchen years ago and one ended up in her handbag and home,luckily enough it didn't get a chance to lay before we got rid of it. That was a big bastid,the smaller, german variety are rampant now across the city, an absolute bitch to get rid of,and if brought into an apartment block will spread throughout within months.Only possible to rid them all if every inch of the place is treated. A word of warning,if you do find yourself sharing a home with them,throw away everything before you move into a new home,they get every where,especially places that generate warmth,like radio's,TV's, microwaves etc.
    The reason their here in the first place is because they manage to lay eggs in bags of rice and such which are imported from hot countries, you buy the rice,bring it home,the heat of the house encourages the eggs to hatch and within weeks you have an army. Not nice.

Oh BTW, despite what an exterminator will tell you, the best cure is Boric acid in powder form.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Until recently I've never seen a cockroach in Ireland?
    My workplace is full of them - they all come out at night. Walking through an unlit room is a bit like walking on crisps. When I was a lot younger we used to turn them over on their backs and watch them struggle all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Wow I have never seen any here , Seen one in new york , there big f*ckers ! Would not like them around my house !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Jesus, hope they aint around here, im absolutely petrified of them, if you want to watch a grown man squeal, leave me in a room with them.....

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Damn it! That was one of the benefits of our crappy climate - disgusting insects like these stayed the hell away from our shores, or so I thought. I knew there had been some infestations before, but didn't realise we had the big buggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

they are actually harmless and have been on this planet a long long time before we got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

they are actually harmless and have been on this planet a long long time before we got here.

I always assumed that in unrban environments/restaurnts/housing they were a sign of unhygienic condition's?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

SoulTrader wrote: »
    Damn it! That was one of the benefits of our crappy climate

and one of the downsides of more exotic places!

I remember backpacking in India and Thailand years ago, we were on a tight budget so we were staying in some dives.

We used to put sellotape (sticky side out) around the bed legs at night to stop the cockroaches climbing up, was some sight the next morning......
    yucckkkk
    wouldn't be able for it now, I like my comfort.

carolmon wrote: »
    and one of the downsides of more exotic places!

I remember backpacking in India and Thailand years ago, we were on a tight budget so we were staying in some dives.

We used to put sellotape (sticky side out) around the bed legs at night to stop the cockroaches climbing up, was some sight the next morning......
    yucckkkk
    wouldn't be able for it now, I like my comfort.

Yikes!

I have my own horror story. I live in a fairly tropical place. I was walking into my sitting room one day and there was this black thing on the ceiling. I got closer and realised it was a cockroach. I swear, he launched himself at me. I screamed! It was like he was trying to attack me, falling off the ceiling and angling towards me. He landed in front of my foot. I squashed him but my heart was racing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

SoulTrader wrote: »
    It was like he was trying to attack me, falling off the ceiling and angling towards me. He landed in front of my foot. I squashed him but my heart was racing!

LOL...you would be useless if it was a real intruder.

:confused:
    Cockroaches are more scary than real intruders! I confronted a real intruder about a year earlier, wasn't too scary at all. I'm not kidding either.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dontbossme

Until recently I've never seen a cockroach in Ireland

last week walking past a strip of 5 cafés + 1restarant, just as the curb meets the roads, I seen a massive cockroach walking along.

would this put you off getting a coffee or food from these places?
    and should I report this?

to be honest I didn't want get anything from any of these shops along that part of the street, as I don't know where the roach came from?

From what i here mount joy prison is full of them!!!

That is from what i here not experienced!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

They are far from harmless,This should explain it better than I could.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

dubtom wrote: »
    They are far from harmless,This should explain it better than I could.

Good ole Google ads put an ad for fast food in the middle of that article when I looked at it. Google knows Everything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Bi6N

I've never seen any here, I was under the assumption they didn't take up residence here, ha no I know different.

Had loads of them in a villa I stayed in, when I was in spain. I'd stun them and place them outside an anthill.
    It was like a documentry unfolding infront of my eyes.
    The ants marched out and disected the roaches, nasty way to go.
    But the circle of life, very interesting.

Advertisement