Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend cleanser for 11 year old

Options
  • 11-10-2010 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

My 11 year old son has being getting the odd spot and I'm trying to find something that will clean his face better (the odd time he'll actually wash it when I say)...clearisil etc are just to harsh and cause stinging- even the ones for sensitive skin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Ok I will just pass on what I was told by a dermatologist. I still get the odd spot as I have oily skin.

Wash morning and evening with Dove soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

St Ives Blemish & Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub once a week, wash daily and drink lots of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

+1 on the drinking lots of water.

I would go with as natural a product as possible, something like Boots' Botanics range (they do some really nice non-girly facial scrubs and mild cleansers) or the Aloe range from the Body Shop.

And stress how important it is to keep his hands clean and not to pick at the zits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Thaedydal wrote: »
    St Ives Blemish & Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub once a week, wash daily and drink lots of water.

The grains can break and tiny particles can get stuck in the pores. Better off getting a non abrasive exfoliator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd stick to a gentle soap like dove or maybe neutrogena. They used to have an orangey colour bar of soap which I used as a teenager for spots on my chest.

Def encourage him to drink water and really cut back on sugar and fatty foods. I've a teenage brother and the difference in his skin depending on his diet is amazing. Even he notices it.

• Advertisement

I've a near teen going through roughly the same thing.
    The lush cupcake mask also helps, if you can get him to use it.

http://www.lush.co.uk/products/skincare/fresh-face-masks/cupcake_386.html
    Chocolate heaven for oily and teenage skin. Its action removes excess oil and calms breakouts. Rhassoul mud cleans and soothes, linseed, cocoa butter and cocoa powder soften the skin. Balancing peppermint, spearmint and sandalwood oils complete this effective and delicious experience. Apply to clean skin, avoiding the eye area. Leave for five to ten minutes, then rinse away. Keep chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

i'd second the natural stuff as much as possible - there is a lot of SLS in some cleansing products, especially soap bars, and that will dry out the skin ultimately making the problem worse. I would never use dove - found it way to drying - i would find a really good olive oil or castor oil based natural soap, and a muslin cloth and show him how to wash thoroughly. If he sees the difference he will do it - do not underestimate the vanity of pre-teen/teen boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Diet plays a significant part also. Certain foods can increase the severity of, or even cause outbreaks. I find chocolate does it for me (Shame, I love chocolate), but I've also heard of others food causing problems too...mostly sugary foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

He's an 11 year old young fella so I'd doubt he'd be willing to try more natural methods of skincare. I would've thought getting an 11 yr old boy to wash his face at all would be an achievement. I can imagine my 11 yr old nephews reaction if we tried to get him to use face masks or oils.

Be realistic in what he will use. Soap might not be the best thing but he might be most likely to use it.

I got mine to use the cupcake face mask cos it smells of choclate and we painted it on like camo paint on the 'problem' areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 trickywitch

Any clay/kaolin based soap would be brilliant for the odd few zits. Lots on the cosmetic market in facial cleansing (mens and ladies) as well as in health stores - so you can find one that suits. Also Normaderm by Vicy have a spot zapper containing salicylic acid that is extremely gentle. My 13 year old lad swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

I found the Simple range great its nice and light also you can pick it up for alot less then others even Lidi stock it now,

Soaps are not good for cleaning facial skin they don't remove dirt just spread it around and built up in the pores causing blackheads,

Also for someone so young there is no need to wash with a facial soap everyday (damage the skin) a good facial wash should be used just once a week and regular washing should be good enough,

I have never had a crazy out break since I was 13 untill the start of oct, Im pregnant and I've went back to the simple and it has certainly reduced the breakout,

I still only use it one (twice if outbreak is bad) a week and use water and a facial wipe to clean my face ever other day,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Apply tea tree directly to spot, other than that use an exfoliating (apricot scrub is good). I find clean and clear face wash isn't as harsh as the cleansers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Spots are usually caused by hormonal changes during puberty pregnancy and through the menstrual cycle. it's not really recommended to wash the skin too often as this removes the protective oil barrier on the skin. wash with warm water and no soap morning and night and once a week use something with tea tree in it.

My little one, also 11 uses my clinique clarifying lotion number 2 once a week to remove build up of dirt but be so careful using the likes of clearasil, they are very harsh on young skin.

diet has been proven to have very little effect on spots, and eating loads of chocolate won't give you spots either.. :D Acne is a bacterial infection of the skin and clears up with antibiotics if it's severe enough..and if he's bursting spots make sure he uses something with disinfectant properties after ( like the clinique which has alcohol and tea tree) or some diluted tea tree. hope it helps, puberty's a bitch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Oh spots:(. I distinctly remember hiding my bottle of Biactol in the cistern, because I was so embarrassed that I had to use it:(

Anyway, as someone who had bad acne as a young teenage girl (no scars thankfully!), nothing worked until I went to the doctor and was told it was a hormonal imbalance and that all the chocolate in the world wouldn't 'give' me spots, and all the biactol in the world wouldn't cure them. So I was put on the pill and had the best results ever.

But then I'm a girl...perhaps your son isn't bad enough to consider a trip to your GP OP? All the tips about hygiene and water are excellent, but I'd keep an eye on it if I were you and consider a trip to the doc should it get much worse for him. Spots can have a pretty negative effect on a teenager and I truly hope your lads don't get too bad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not a parent, but I think the idea of an 11 year old lad using cleanser is ridiculous. Spots happen, and if it's not to an insane level, just leave them be and they'll go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭30lady

Not a parent, but I think the idea of an 11 year old lad using cleanser is ridiculous. Spots happen, and if it's not to an insane level, just leave them be and they'll go away.

maybe i shouldn't have used the word cleanser, more what is the best thing to use to wash his face, as I find soap dries the skin and would think water on it's own isn't enough.

His spots aren't an issue, i did say only starting to get an odd spot, fully aware they are a part of life, but he still needs to wash his face and was looking for recommendations on the best thing to use.

Advertisement