Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time gaming build

Options
  • 11-10-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Alright lads,
    • My budget is around €650
    • Having solely used a laptop for the last 4 years I'm gonna need almost everything:
      • excluding a mouse, OS and monitor
      • including a wireless network card
    • The most taxing thing I will be doing is running SC2 on high settings while streaming; I've been recommended an nVidia 460GTX graphics card by a mate
    I haven't bought the monitor yet, if you have any recommendations I'm looking for one for <€150 ~20".

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Argh! HWVS changed all their prices and stock levels just when I was at the end so I had to redo it over again! :o

€642 shipped:

HWVS111010.png

Not the best PSU, but it will do although it would be best to avoid shooting for a 4GHz OC on it! :o Then again I left you with the stock cooler anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ya thats a great build, your main problem is that you have to buy everything from scratch (monitor os etc.) so id advise you to save up to about 800 so you can get a great build like above with a monitor and everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Great build Solitaire for the price
    ya thats a great build, your main problem is that you have to buy everything from scratch (monitor os etc.) so id advise you to save up to about 800 so you can get a great build like above with a monitor and everything
    this for me is the number 1 in PC gaming, get a decent case, PSU, monitor, keyboard, mouse and DVD drive and they'll last 5-10 years and seriously reduce the cost of rebuilds. Im on 6 years now with my Gigabyte Aurora case, PSU is only 3( old one busted under warranty but never RMA'd it in time as i got too lazy, grrr, lol ), 22" samsung is nearly 6 years old now, G5 mouse is 5 years old etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Ah feck, just realised I forgot the wifi card! :o:o As if that thing wasn't teetering on the brink as-is! :eek: At least this still fits the budget... because this and this won't! :o:o

And it said in the first post that the €650 excluded the monitor. Easy fix though - if you can't see any really good deals just nab a cheap BenQ G2220HD from HWVS or Komplett for €115-130 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

well im gonna chime in on the wifi, its a gaming PC and wifi is absolute $hite for online gaming :)

id go ethernet only and if not possible go for homeplug( expensive but at least works for online gaming as opposed to wifi junk )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Great build Solitaire for the price

this for me is the number 1 in PC gaming, get a decent case, PSU, monitor, keyboard, mouse and DVD drive and they'll last 5-10 years and seriously reduce the cost of rebuilds. Im on 6 years now with my Gigabyte Aurora case, PSU is only 3( old one busted under warranty but never RMA'd it in time as i got too lazy, grrr, lol ), 22" samsung is nearly 6 years old now, G5 mouse is 5 years old etc.

agree with everything you said there are some components that you are better off ponying up for as they will last you a long time as well as being more important than you would think (monitor case psu (got a 1000w antec and i only have a gtx 460 :D)mouse keyboard speakers etc.)

btw on the internet side of things i got one of these and i do some online gaming as well as being about four concrete walls away from my router and i dont lag, also live in kerry so broadband is pants

• Registered Users Posts: 19 StrOut88

Thanks alot Solitaire, that was very helpful.

Advertisement