Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 24mb?

• 11-10-2010 10:50pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads,ive an ongoing pain in the backside with eircom and terrible congestion for the last 6 months [loooong story] and really want to switch provider.
    As far as im aware the only option we have in my area is resold eircom products.
    Ive seen Vodafone mentioned a lot so entered my number into the line checker and i get a list of available products, the usual options turn up as per all the providers but at the bottom of the list is a 24 mb option.
    Surely this is incorrect?
    Heres the results of what they say is available to me.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/ProductsLineAndSpeedCheck.shtml
    I assumed the max available at our exchange was 8mb.
    Am i getting my hopes up over nothing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That link won't work for anyone but you. Anyway, Vodafone have 24Mbps on a handful of exchanges. These are from the old BT ADSL2+ exchanges. Yours may be one of them. eircom will not have anything better that 8Mbps in it, and Smart and Magnet may or may not have anything in that particular exchange, though there is some overlap between the three of these companies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its telling me this is available
    http://www.getbroadband.ie/home_package_details.php?packageID=319&area=Monasterevan&county=Kildare

However looking at the contention its the same as eircoms bog standard package, i doubt that will help congestion.
    Magnet are offering me an 8 meg 12:1 contention package, i just fear if i enter a 1 year contract and its no improvement im screwed.

I don't think 24Mbps is available on that exchange, so you're going to be on re-sold eircom no matter what ISP you choose. If the issue is backhaul or congestion at the exchange, then you're stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

How many people on Vodafone ARE getting 24Meg? Does anyone have an answer?

jor el wrote: »
    I don't think 24Mbps is available on that exchange, so you're going to be on re-sold eircom no matter what ISP you choose. If the issue is backhaul or congestion at the exchange, then you're stuck.

Thats what i feared,would the improved magnet contention of 12:1 improve congestion significantly in your opinion?
    Thanks for your input.

• Advertisement

iRock wrote: »
    How many people on Vodafone ARE getting 24Meg? Does anyone have an answer?

That speed is only available on about 12 exchanges in the country (out of over 1000 exchanges). Only about 10% or so of lines on those exchanges will actually be able to achieve more than 20Mbps. So to answer how many Vodafone customers are actually on 24Mbps; hardly any.
    Dcully wrote: »
    Thats what i feared,would the improved magnet contention of 12:1 improve congestion significantly in your opinion?
    Thanks for your input.

I thought the contention is completely controlled by eircom for all bitstream customers, which would mean that Magnet can't control this. Even if they can, backhaul will be another issue. You won't really know if there is any possibility of a better connection until you try it. Worth a shot?

jor el wrote: »
    That speed is only available on about 12 exchanges in the country (out of over 1000 exchanges). Only about 10% or so of lines on those exchanges will actually be able to achieve more than 20Mbps. So to answer how many Vodafone customers are actually on 24Mbps; hardly any.

I thought the contention is completely controlled by eircom for all bitstream customers, which would mean that Magnet can't control this. Even if they can, backhaul will be another issue. You won't really know if there is any possibility of a better connection until you try it. Worth a shot?

The Magnet Rep guy here on boards has told me they can offer me Magnet Swift package of 8mb and 12:1 contention.

Really dont know what to do.

Advertisement