Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question: TV Broadband packages in Galway City

• 11-10-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just moved to Galway City, was wondering if there was any particular deals for TV and combined packages, or companies that might be localised to Galway that offer combined packages.... or is it cheaper to do it separately? thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

UPC internet is by far the best, but Sky digital is the best TV. UPC TV is considered to be a close second so unless you're rolling in money probably best to just get the UPC package.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Yeah UPC seems to be the best over-all package. you can get everything except the "red button" from sky. Sky is probably better for just TV, but we pay 48 a month for 3MB broadband and digital tv, think there's special offers for new sign ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

there's an offer in Bargain Alerts - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055831222 - for getting a free €50 voucher with UPC. sign up online and activation charges are waived.
    also if you're a student, you can get 4 months free next summer with UPC.

i've UPC in my house and can't say i've had any problems :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 androma

we have upc package,good load of channels,movies,music etc, without sky sports, along with 20 mg fibre optic broadband for e60 per month.i'd say thats a pretty up to date price.internet pretty good but tv channels skip from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Another UPC head here. I pay 85 I think a month for the 20mb internet , TV with HD box ,ESPN HD a few extra channels and phone.
    Their Internet is excellent , TV quality varies from channel to channel but the TV Guide is simply shocking. It's so slow to the point of useless.
    Phone seems fine but I never use it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah UPCs packages are the best and their customer service seems to have vastly improved this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Yeah UPCs packages are the best and their customer service seems to have vastly improved this year.

Totally agree with regards their customer service. Since the changeover from NTL it has improved from being on the point of pulling out your hair to excellent. If only they could work on their software for their tv menus because it is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

thanks for all the replies... UPC it is then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Do UPC supply to everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

s_carnage wrote: »
    Totally agree with regards their customer service. Since the changeover from NTL it has improved from being on the point of pulling out your hair to excellent. If only they could work on their software for their tv menus because it is very poor.

Have to disagree here, Prefer the NTL system to Sky, as it lets you press the INFO button for the program you have browsed to (while still watching the old channel). Sky only lets you see info about the current showing program, which drives me nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Thinking of switching to UPC, the comments in this thread are positive and if the ads are to be believed the savings compared to Sky and Eircom are significant. Just wondering if any more people could comment on their experience, especially with the broadband aspect - how does the actual speed compare to what's advertised and is it reliable?

Thanks!

Have to disagree here, Prefer the NTL system to Sky, as it lets you press the INFO button for the program you have browsed to (while still watching the old channel). Sky only lets you see info about the current showing program, which drives me nuts.

The Sky+ HD box allows you to do the above.

Sky is miles and miles ahead of Upc/NTL for tv. I have sky+ hd in my rented house and the box has never once crashed, the upc box at home crashes every time I use it.

The ideal set-up is upc for net and sky for tv but its more expensive than a package from Upc, I think its worth it others may disagree.

We have a UPC 15Mbit/s internet only package, its usually around 10 to 12Mbit/s, it can be less at times but it never drops to very slow speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I cant fault UPC for their internet it is very good, but the tv box is an infuriating piece of crap imo. I have one of the new black boxes at the minute and it is just as slow and annoying as the old one. I'm never able to check the guide on it because it just takes too long to load up the pages, and that baldy fecker from the info channel better hope I never meet him in person!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I got the UPC HD and 15 Mb Broadband for myself. Love it, loads of channels and fast reliable internet.

The only bad thing is the guide on the tv service. I don't have as many problems as others say with the UPC box but I also know your meant to restart it at least once a week because they push out updates. If you don't it slows down when you try to move channels and becomes a pain to use. Restart and it works fine.

Advertisement