Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School Teaching, Without Higher Level Irish?

• 11-10-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭

Hey. I know this has been posted many times before, and I've checked through the threads but most answers have never been clarified so I'd just like to post it again. I'm currently in 6th year and sadly dropped back to OL Irish last year. I'm pretty good at it, but it's not possible for me to switch back into HL Irish as the school can't accommodate it. I wouldn't like to leave Ireland to get the qualification, but I'd like to know is there any back-door way into the B.Ed in Ireland? Like an Irish course or something that can be used instead of the HL C3? Thanks for anyone that can help anyway. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Yes, there is means and ways of doing Primary School teaching without having to do honours Irish. Honours Irish prevents you from going to the specific training colleges

Look at this thread because it was created by a person who got in the backdoor to primary teaching: My job as a Primary School teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

unknown13 wrote: »
    Yes, there is means and ways of doing Primary School teaching without having to do honours Irish. Honours Irish prevents you from going to the specific training colleges

Look at this thread because it was created by a person who got in the backdoor to primary teaching: My job as a Primary School teacher

Yeah, I just read that there, but the OP never clarified if she had the HL Irish requirement or not. :o I'm pretty sure it's still required to have the HL Irish to do the direct post-grad degree for a B.Ed. Thanks though! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Yeah, I just read that there, but the OP never clarified if she had the HL Irish requirement or not. :o I'm pretty sure it's still required to have the HL Irish to do the direct post-grad degree for a B.Ed. Thanks though! :)
    I think so too.

NUIM and NUIG do a part-time Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge which is accepted by the primary teaching colleges as the equivalent, and you *could* do that alongside your degree course (it's one evening a week over 2 years, concentrates very much on Irish language rather than literature), then apply for the "conversion" HDip as above.

Tbh, given you have most of this year left, I think if you're really serious about it it would be simpler / cheaper in the long run to aim for the HL in LC and get grinds outside school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

You could do a Gaeltacht entry course. It's also less points, about 430

Um ... what's that, then?

I saw something about it this year but presumed it was some special scheme for students from the Gaeltacht / who spoke Irish as their first language?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Um ... what's that, then?

I saw something about it this year but presumed it was some special scheme for students from the Gaeltacht / who spoke Irish as their first language?
    Not too sure about the exact details, so don't quote me but my friend's cousin did it. It's when you do the Primary Teaching course but you go to the Gaeltacht for one or more summers to improve your Irish.

Well, if you hear any more, let us know. It's a new one to me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not too sure about the exact details, so don't quote me but my friend's cousin did it. It's when you do the Primary Teaching course but you go to the Gaeltacht for one or more summers to improve your Irish.

But don't all the students in the Primary Teaching degrees do this as a compulsory part of their course? A couple of my former LC students have gone on to do the B.Ed and all had to spend time in the Gaeltacht as part of the course, and they had HL Irish.

As far as I know there are only two ways of getting into Primary Teaching: C3 or higher in HL Irish in Leaving Cert or the Diploma sa Ghaeilge run through NUIG which is pretty much the equivalent of first year Irish in an Arts Degree.

Get grinds and do HL Irish this year, in the long run it would be the handiest. Or go to college next year and do a different degree do the diploma on the side or sit LC HL Irish next year while you are in college.

You won't get into a BSc Ed next September by any other short cut.

But don't all the students in the Primary Teaching degrees do this as a compulsory part of their course? A couple of my former LC students have gone on to do the B.Ed and all had to spend time in the Gaeltacht as part of the course, and they had HL Irish.
    I think he means the summers before doing the LC.
    As far as I know there are only two ways of getting into Primary Teaching: C3 or higher in HL Irish in Leaving Cert or the Diploma sa Ghaeilge run through NUIG * which is pretty much the equivalent of first year Irish in an Arts Degree.
    * or NUIM, depending on which part of the country you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

You can gain entry to the higher diploma in primary education with Hibernia College without a HC3 in LC Irish through the following routes:

"The following will also satisfy the minimum Irish language requirement:
    • Diploma in Arts (Applied Irish) from University College Cork
    • Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge, level C1 from NUI Galway
    • Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge Fheidhmeach from University College Dublin
    • Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge from NUI Maynooth
    • Minimum grade C in the NUI matriculation exam
    • Diploma in Irish from the University of Ulster
    • Dioploma sa Ghaeilge (An Ghaeilge sa Saol Comhaimseartha) of Aonad na Gaeilge from the University of Limerick
    • A pass in a First Arts examination in Irish
      (National Framework of Qualifications Level 8
    The following will also satisfy the minimum requirements in Irish, English and Mathematics:
    • A pass in a University First Arts examination in the appropriate subject (National Framework of Qualifications Level 8"
    Source: http://www.hiberniacollege.net/SchoolofEducation/HDipinArtsinPrimaryEducation/EntryRequirements/tabid/72/Default.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Just to clarify this. That course is for natives of the gaeltacht only, who grew up with Irish as their First Language and more than likely have their HLC3 in the Leaving Cert. Its less points because its presumed those candidates already have a fluency in Irish. To some up, that course isn't an option for somebody in your situation.
    I think you should really make your case to the school about your willingness to take on HL Irish. And by right, the shouldn't be denying you the right. Usually, nowadays the OL Class strongly outnumbers the HL Class so I can't understand why they're denying you a place in it. Doing HL irish is your right, and if you know honestly yourself that you will apply yourself 100% to ensure you make the grade, fire away agus go n-eirí leat! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Just to reiterate what was said there, you cannot be told you cannot do it. If you are willing to put in the work that is that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The B.Ed courses will involve a lot of Irish so putting the time in now will pay off in the long run (i.e. aim for higher than a C3 if at all possible).

If the school can't accommodate you, get grinds and sit the HL paper. You choose what level you do, not the school.

To clarify another point, all students do the Cúrsa Gaeltachta in their first year of the course in each college. You can do either 2 weeks at easter, and 2 weeks during the summer, or 3 full weeks during the summer (which most people do).

You can gain entry to the higher diploma in primary education with Hibernia College ...
    Thanks for that very useful list.

It would probably be a good idea (anyone thinking of this route) to check out that all the colleges have the same criteria for entry to the "conversion" HDip in Primary Teaching, but they're probably similar enough.
    Just to clarify this. That course is for natives of the gaeltacht only, who grew up with Irish as their First Language ...
    Now, that's what I thought originally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Thanks for that very useful list.

It would probably be a good idea (anyone thinking of this route) to check out that all the colleges have the same criteria for entry to the "conversion" HDip in Primary Teaching, but they're probably similar enough.

I think the hibernia college costs like 8000 euro a year though. Seems awful expensive!

AFAIK the DES sets the entry requirements for all primary teaching courses, so they should be very similar if not identical.

That's what I would have thought too, but I have heard of people who lived within Gaeltacht boundaries (without being a native speaker) chancing their arm. Not sure if that actually happens though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The best bet Noel now, is either give HL Irish a go or do Arts in UCD, NUIM, NUIG or UCC. Do Irish for first year and then go on to do a Hdip in Primary Education.

Do Irish for first year and then go on to do a Hdip in Primary Education.

Or even better do Irish for the whole degree- it would make a big difference later on.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I think the hibernia college costs like 8000 euro a year though. Seems awful expensive!
    It is ... though any of those courses aren't cheap tbh.
    dambarude wrote: »
    AFAIK the DES sets the entry requirements for all primary teaching courses, so they should be very similar if not identical.
    Aye, I'd imagine so. I have a (very very!) vague memory though of seeing something shorter from them with an "or equivalent" tacked on, leaving some discretion in the hands of individual colleges, so wise to check.

I emphasise though that I may be thinking of something else entirely!!
    The best bet Noel now, is either give HL Irish a go or do Arts in UCD, NUIM, NUIG or UCC. Do Irish for first year and then go on to do a Hdip in Primary Education.
    I still think at this early stage the easiest and cheapest and handiest is to give the Hons in LC your best shot, even if it means grinds.

You still have the other options in the heel of your fist if that doesn't work out.

I still think at this early stage the easiest and cheapest and handiest is to give the Hons in LC your best shot, even if it means grinds.
    This is definitely the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Can I just point out that if you're considering the long way around that there is no guarantee that you would get into any of the post-grad primary teaching courses. They take the best, there is savage competition for places and you'd have to work your ass off in college to get very high marks in your degree to get in.

The most expedient route is doing your HL Irish now and getting the points for one of the training colleges. It would even be worth your while repeating HL Irish on its own next year to get in. That way, you walk out of college ready to start your career, not trying to get into another course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

One option is to go abroad to do teaching in the UK, my careers teacher said thats what alot of people do.

Teutorix wrote: »
    One option is to go abroad to do teaching in the UK, my careers teacher said thats what alot of people do.

When you return to Ireland after doing a course in the UK you will still have to pass exams (SCG or OCG) to be deemed fully qualified to teach in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Deemark is dead right with what is said there. I've had quite a number of my secondary students get the points for Primary teaching but deciding to stay local and do Arts. The ones who do Irish generally get in as they fly the oral exam. Very few of the others seem to. There is no guarantee these courses will even run to be honest so I'd try the LC first and look to other options if that does not work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

dambarude wrote: »
    When you return to Ireland after doing a course in the UK you will still have to pass exams (SCG or OCG) to be deemed fully qualified to teach in Ireland.
    You don't have to come back. Why would you want to in fairness, the country is a bit of a mess.

Advertisement