Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Complete noob with lots of noob-ish questions!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

LolNoob wrote: »
    How do people rate the BMW F650 funduro? I've seen a few of them year 2000+ with decently low miles for less than €2k, which is pretty on budget, and from seeing them around town they look like pretty sweet bikes to ride.

Also considering a deauville now as it looks pretty comfortable to ride around on too. Lots of options, it would appear !

The great thing about the F650(they dropped the "funduro" tag soon after it was launched) is it isn't a traditional BMW overpriced complicated tank.
    The engine is by Rotax, It has a chain drive, and is reasonably priced, and a great all rounder. Before KTM took over, a version of it was winning the Dakar Rally. Its only disadvantage is it is a chain drive.
    For "mile munching" a shaft is superior, which brings us the the Deauville. Shaft drive, built in luggage, and depending on the year of manufacture, either an optional touring screen, or a height ajustable one. The deauville seat is unmatched too. You will need to refuel long before your arse goes numb(300km out of a tank to reserve).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LolNoob

The great thing about the F650(they dropped the "funduro" tag soon after it was launched) is it isn't a traditional BMW overpriced complicated tank.
    The engine is by Rotax, It has a chain drive, and is reasonably priced, and a great all rounder. Before KTM took over, a version of it was winning the Dakar Rally. Its only disadvantage is it is a chain drive.
    For "mile munching" a shaft is superior, which brings us the the Deauville. Shaft drive, built in luggage, and depending on the year of manufacture, either an optional touring screen, or a height ajustable one. The deauville seat is unmatched too. You will need to refuel long before your arse goes numb(300km out of a tank to reserve).
    Yeah I'm going to check out Deauville's in early 2011 when looking for bikes. I think it'll be a tossup between a bandit and a deauville. Two completely different bikes but...! Sat drooling over a bandit today so it'll be difficult.

I've got a really, really stupid question (for someone who has been on the road for almost 8 years now) that I'm almost ashamed to ask but since I've always driven a car it's never been a huge concern.

If I get third party, fire and theft insurance and end up in an accident that is my fault, even slipping while doing some speed and end up breaking my leg or hospitalising myself, who foots the health bill?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

If I get third party, fire and theft insurance and end up in an accident that is my fault, even slipping while doing some speed and end up breaking my leg or hospitalising myself, who foots the health bill?

You.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

KamiKazi wrote: »
    You.

Correct - even if you have fully comp insurance you will still have to pay your own bill. A common misconception is that full-comp covers the driver in the event it his/her fault, it does not it only covers the machine (applies to both cars and bikes)

jayok wrote: »
    Correct - even if you have fully comp insurance you will still have to pay your own bill. A common misconception is that full-comp covers the driver in the event it his/her fault, it does not it only covers the machine (applies to both cars and bikes)

Carole Nash have helmet & leathers cover, website doesn't say anything about liability. Something to look into though.

• Advertisement

Interesting, I never knew that if you were fully comp (in a car aswell I presume) and you caused the accident, you're still liable for your own medical bills. Would health insurance cover such accidents or how indeed does one go about paying for procedures that could run into the tens of thousands of euros?

It's something I've never had to deal with. So really, the only difference between fully comp on a bike and TPFT is that if you cause a crash, full comp will fix or replace your bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Interesting, I never knew that if you were fully comp (in a car aswell I presume) and you caused the accident, you're still liable for your own medical bills. Would health insurance cover such accidents or how indeed does one go about paying for procedures that could run into the tens of thousands of euros?

Generally speaking, health insurance will cover medical bills you incur as a result of personal injury, no matter how obtained, e.g. playing football, riding a bike, etc. If you need a surgery that cost €€€ the health insurance may cover it if you have the right level. What it won't cover is loss of earnings, if you are out of work for six months, etc.
    It's something I've never had to deal with. So really, the only difference between fully comp on a bike and TPFT is that if you cause a crash, full comp will fix or replace your bike?

Correct, same a car policies. Its to avoid the situation of people driving with the mentality no matter what happens insurance money will bail me out. There's a particular name on this type of moral hazard, I cannot recall.

jayok wrote: »
    Generally speaking, health insurance will cover medical bills you incur as a result of personal injury, no matter how obtained, e.g. playing football, riding a bike, etc. If you need a surgery that cost €€€ the health insurance may cover it if you have the right level. What it won't cover is loss of earnings, if you are out of work for six months, etc.

Correct, same a car policies. Its to avoid the situation of people driving with the mentality no matter what happens insurance money will bail me out. There's a particular name on this type of moral hazard, I cannot recall.
    Sound, that all makes sense. Quite thankfully too, as fully comp is almost double the price for year one on the same bike.

New Q:

What's the situation with regards to getting bikes from the UK? I've been looking at used bikes online in the UK and they're all really, really well priced compared to their Irish counterparts but additionally all have valid MOT's showing they're at least in good running condition. How does one go about importing one and what fees are you subject to? I suppose you've to change the regs and pay road tax, is that it and how much does that come to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showBikeCalculator

Bike VRT is based only on CCs and age so it's very straight forward.

Travel expenses, VRT and road tax. The NCT people have recently taken over VRT so I can't tell you if it's any trickier now.

All you have to do is choose your bike, get the usual HPI checks, have it looked over etc. Bring the V5 (UK reg document) back with you. Contact the NCT and book a date, present the bike and paperwork and Bob's your uncle.

It may be harder to justify the expense and hassle if it's a cheaper bike you're after. I've had three bikes and they're all ex-UK same as a huge proportion of bikes in Ireland. Once you start travelling to the UK for vehicles, you think nothing of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

sorry for the stupid question, but when i get my licence and its restricted for 2 years, the bike i want will ned a restrictor fitted, if its a factory fitted restriction, can it be taken off after the 2 years, also if its fitted by the garage can that be taken off after the 2 years is up..

Many thanks for the replies...

• Advertisement

Both can be taken off when needed.

thats what i was thinking, but the local idiot in the honda garage had other ideas and had me all confused, as from his explaination was that it was both electronically and mechanically restricted, and both were permanent fixtures and that is why there are so many restricted bikes for sale...

It made a bit of sense to me this morning.
    but still i was a potential customer at the garage and due to his lack of knowledge i will not buy from then...

Cheers for the response by the way...

eurofoxy wrote: »
    thats what i was thinking, but the local idiot in the honda garage had other ideas and had me all confused, as from his explaination was that it was both electronically and mechanically restricted, and both were permanent fixtures and that is why there are so many restricted bikes for sale...

They are, but you just remove the throttle stop and replace the restricted ECU with a full power one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

KamiKazi wrote: »
    They are, but you just remove the throttle stop and replace the restricted ECU with a full power one.

but on a honda it's more complicated because you have to replace the ECU & the HISS system inc. the ignition etc etc - could cost ~1000 quid...

jameshayes wrote: »
    but on a honda it's more complicated because you have to replace the ECU & the HISS system inc. the ignition etc etc - could cost ~1000 quid...

I never said it was cheap :P

hey guys anyone want to recommend a good back protector, my jacket is a revit raptor, was advised to get some sort of back protection and to get better protectors for my knees...

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Insert back protectors are rubbish when compared to separate full length protectors. I personally go with, http://www.dainese.com/eu_en/motorbike/wave-12-air.html?gender=2&cat=41&subcat=42

Though I hate that Dainese can't make the velcro strap across the waist last more than 1 year's worth of use. I'm on my second one and both had that issue.

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Insert back protectors are rubbish when compared to separate full length protectors. I personally go with, http://www.dainese.com/eu_en/motorbike/wave-12-air.html?gender=2&cat=41&subcat=42

Though I hate that Dainese can't make the velcro strap across the waist last more than 1 year's worth of use. I'm on my second one and both had that issue.

that looks the dogs.... but how about knee support...thing is i am really sensitive about my knees as i had a really bad and complicated break playing rugby when i was younger so i know whats its like to do 18 months on crutches etc..and would like to do my best to prevent any type of breakage in that area i know if its going to happen its going to happen but its the minor fall bad break i would like to avoid by just simply having some decent knee protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

that looks the dogs.... but how about knee support...thing is i am really sensitive about my knees as i had a really bad and complicated break playing rugby when i was younger so i know whats its like to do 18 months on crutches etc..and would like to do my best to prevent any type of breakage in that area i know if its going to happen its going to happen but its the minor fall bad break i would like to avoid by just simply having some decent knee protection.

I'd like to know more about hip and leg protection myself. I just have standard trousers with ass/hip padding and basic armor for knee and shin. I have seen some armor for the hips but no real upgrades over the standard armor for legs and knees.

My problem with the hip and knee protectors are they seem a bit too soft to absorb or deflect a good bang, was looking at the alpinestars protectors they look decent, but dont know what kind of knee protector is what i am after, as its a protector rather than sliders which are different beast altogether...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

How do people rate the BMW F650 funduro? I've seen a few of them year 2000+ with decently low miles for less than €2k, which is pretty on budget, and from seeing them around town they look like pretty sweet bikes to ride.

Also considering a deauville now as it looks pretty comfortable to ride around on too. Lots of options, it would appear !

little late to the party, and hope you've not bought one already, but I'd avoid

just a small issue of the front wheels falling off... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371650

later models of same had beefier 'axle to fork' join, but bmw never offically recognised the issue or issued a recall

Advertisement