Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any talking with the "Real IRA"?

• 12-10-2010 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

After watching the lovely Miriam plead her case for John Hume as Ireland's greatest, I am left in awe at what the man actually achieved by talking to a murderous organisation (Sinn Fein/PIRA), when they were been branded "criminals" just like the RIRA are been branded the same today. Is there anyone out there today that is willing to try talk to these hardliners in a bid to stop there futile attempts at a united Ireland?

I hope that wasnt too "out of After hours" for you all :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

After watching the lovely Miriam plead her case for John Hume as Ireland's greatest, I am left in awe at what the man actually achieved by talking to a murderous organisation (Sinn Fein/PIRA), when they were been branded "criminals" just like the RIRA are been branded the same today. Is there anyone out there today that is willing to try talk to these hardliners in a bid to stop there futile attempts at a united Ireland?

The problem is they dont seam to be very intrested in Talking. If talking will stop the bombings etc then there is no reason at all not to, however they will have to be willing to talk in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The IRA, PIRA, Sinn Fein, and other apparently sponsored this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

The problem is they dont seam to be very intrested in Talking. If talking will stop the bombings etc then there is no reason at all not to, however they will have to be willing to talk in the first place.

So how does one engage with people that dont want to talk? I know its kinda hard to get the head around, but seriously... there has to be some idea on this huge planet that can solve that question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

She was looking well alright.

On a serious note, on a practical level would members of the real IRA have difficulty adjusting to "normal" civilian life given their past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Sure there's no talking to the British, best leave them to their own (suspect) devices.

• Advertisement

So how does one engage with people that dont want to talk? I know its kinda hard to get the head around, but seriously... there has to be some idea on this huge planet that can solve that question.

You persist in presenting to them valid and reasoned arguments as to why their position is wrong and try to meet with them in the middle on some of the issues that you can, Other than that there really isent much you can do except not overreact and throw more fuel on the fire.

orourkeda wrote: »

On a serious note, on a practical level would members of the real IRA have difficulty adjusting to "normal" civilian life given their past

Im not an expert, but I assume this splinter group is getting its money through traditional "gangland" activities and that a untied Ireland is a little side-show when they are board. Once a united Ireland through blood is wiped from their vague vision, Im sure they will focus on normal crimal activities and stop blowing siht up for fun. But if they are truly blindly committed to killing for the UI, then something else has to be done fundamentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Other than that there really isent much you can do except not overreact and throw more fuel on the fire.

Eh no, other than that, you lock them up for their criminal acts.

You persist in presenting to them valid and reasoned arguments as to why their position is wrong and try to meet with them in the middle on some of the issues that you can, Other than that there really isent much you can do except not overreact and throw more fuel on the fire.

Why not offer the young fellas something they always wanted as a child? For instance, an amnesty where if they came forward they could be offered free education in whatever career they wanted to pursue legally.

Why not offer the young fellas something they always wanted as a child? For instance, an amnesty where if they came forward they could be offered free education in whatever career they wanted to pursue legally.

Umm, you're not serious are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

I know someone who would like to study Medicine... perhaps they should start up a terrorist organization to make their dream come true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's ridiculously premature to suggest that the north is peaceful, we'll see.

Thats it.. its aways their ideology against our ideology, they are scum and we are angels, WHEN IN FACT WE ARE NOT!

If John Hume can create 99% peace by holding the olive branch while been spat at himself then we can do the same to these "others". It may take time, but the alternative is constantly chasing them with the law and never wiping out the underlying factors of their conditioning.

Einhard wrote: »
    Eh no, other than that, you lock them up for their criminal acts.

Thats not what I meant by Over reaction. Of course they should be arrested for their criminal activities.
    However the option of a ceasefire and talks should always be open.

The higher archy of the organisation goes like:

Old timers with fantasies and young men who are clueless.

What I'm saying is that if the young men can be offered an alternative, they maybe they will stop, while at the same time if the old timers can get some vision drilled into their head then maybe absolute peace is possible

The higher archy of the organisation goes like:

Old timers with fantasies and young men who are clueless.

What I'm saying is that if the young men can be offered an alternative, they maybe they will stop, while at the same time if the old timers can get some vision drilled into their head then maybe absolute peace is possible

Perhaps some form of amnesty could be offered, but I think most law abiding people would find it obscene for criminality to be rewarded at their expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Im not an expert, but I assume this splinter group is getting its money through traditional "gangland" activities and that a untied Ireland is a little side-show when they are board. Once a united Ireland through blood is wiped from their vague vision, Im sure they will focus on normal crimal activities and stop blowing siht up for fun. But if they are truly blindly committed to killing for the UI, then something else has to be done fundamentally.

have you any evidence to back this up?post friday agreement INLA are the only group who have been involved with such activities,the rest is sunday world speculation.

Well if the Gardaí & PSNI continue with their current clean-up campaign, there will soon be no need to talk to anyone.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-uncover-significant-dissident-explosives-stash-477311.html
    12/10/2010 - 07:47:01
    A “significant” dissident republican explosives dump and arms cache has been uncovered by anti-terror gardaí.

An improvised mortar, three kilos of TNT, bomb-making equipment and a pipe bomb were found hidden in a wood in Co Louth.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-uncover-significant-dissident-explosives-stash-477311.html#ixzz127yLJwnk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

The Real IRA bring shame on what the IRB and the IRA acheived. I know they did it through violence but they were fighting for equality and civil rights so I can respect their position, they were freedom fighters. The crowd that are around now are nothing but scum, they're drug dealers and criminals and have nothing to do with fighting for freedom, that's already been won. They don't represent the will of the people in the North at all, the people have marched in protest to what they've done. So if it was possible I think they should be caught and imprisoned and not in a cushy political prisoner kinda way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

I don't believe they are a major worry to the security services.

The Real IRA is said to have 100-200 active members, compared to the PIRA's 3000 at it's height.

There seems to be a fair amount of informers within the ranks, as guys are being caught week in, week out, and the police, both North and South, seem to have the situation in hand.

The only caveat is that the current recession may swell numbers, as dissaffected youth seek an outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

curlzy wrote: »
    The Real IRA bring shame on what the IRB and the IRA acheived. I know they did it through violence but they were fighting for equality and civil rights so I can respect their position, they were freedom fighters. The crowd that are around now are nothing but scum, they're drug dealers and criminals and have nothing to do with fighting for freedom, that's already been won. They don't represent the will of the people in the North at all, the people have marched in protest to what they've done. So if it was possible I think they should be caught and imprisoned and not in a cushy political prisoner kinda way.

I have nothing but contempt for militant republicans but there is a lot of nonsense in this post. Why have no real IRA members ever been convicted for drug dealing when there's plenty of them in prison for other charges?

Also, there's no talking to them. They've seen where talking got the PIRA and they want nothing to do with power sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The RIRA don't need any help to enter into discussions. They have all the communication methods that a 1st world country in Europe could have at their disposal.

It's not like the UK is a cruel overlord anymore they're a fellow European democracy and there's countless methods of resolving any conflicts.

The RIRA are not only terrorists to the UK but treasonous enemy's of the Irish republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps a fund should be set up to pay them to feck off, a bit like this Weezer campaign:

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/Story.aspx?id=1290422
    A Seattle-area resident named James Burns has launched a campaign to persuade Weezer to break up. According to The Stranger, Burns wants to raise $10 million from disappointed fans and others who are willing to actually pay the band to go away. Burns wrote online, "Every year, (frontman) Rivers Cuomo swears that he's changed, and that their new album is the best thing that he's done since (second album) Pinkerton, and what happens? Another pile of crap . . . this is an abusive relationship, and it needs to stop now."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

This is P. O'Neill.

You have 10mins to vacate After Hours.

flyton5 wrote: »
    This is P. O'Neill.

You have 10mins to vacate After Hours.

You have to say the code-word, or we won't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You have to say the code-word, or we won't believe you.

eoin mclove has a happy face

flyton5 wrote: »
    eoin mclove has a happy face

The 10 minutes were up at 12.28.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Of course theres talking to them, all they ask is that its sa Ghaeilge le do thoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

have you any evidence to back this up?post friday agreement INLA are the only group who have been involved with such activities,the rest is sunday world speculation.

You have to love the consistently avowed distaste for particular "gangland activities" (usually drugs) parroted by paramilitary groups; groups that regularly performed murders, extensive criminal damage; extortion, maiming, kidnapping; smuggling and bank robberies. :0)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I brought the Car over to England about two weeks back. The amount of questions me and my friend were asked "Purpose of visit, Do you know anybody here, How long are you staying" etc etc....

Because of those fcuking IRA terrorists everyone else is branded with the same brush. God knows what crap to expect if they set off a few bombs in the Uk.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I brought the Car over to England about two weeks back. The amount of questions me and my friend were asked "Purpose of visit, Do you know anybody here, How long are you staying" etc etc....

Because of those fcuking IRA terrorists everyone else is branded with the same brush.
    Your not really, I've gone through the same thing even in a work van, those questions come off a sheet and are designed to catch people out in lies. If your legitimate you'll have no problem answering the questions (maybe even look a bit peeved) if your up to no good you'll lack a proper story and have to guess and delay as your answering which they'll pick up on.

With any luck, Bin-Laden's shower will take them out for trying to steal their thunder. There'll be a lot of competition to top the UK Terrorist charts.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    With any luck, Bin-Laden's shower will take them out for trying to steal their thunder. There'll be a lot of competition to top the UK Terrorist charts.
    Real IRA clearly not that fussed about a united Ireland, claim Al Qaeda

After the Real IRA left a car bomb which exploded outside MI5’s Northern Ireland headquarters, Al Qaeda have criticised their half-arsed attempts at terrorism, claiming that they clearly aren’t that bothered about a united Ireland.

In a recorded statement delivered to Al Jazeera, an Al Qaeda spokesman said, “No-one was hurt, not even the driver of the car, or the people who prepared the explosives - is that the behaviour of people who really believe in their cause?”

“Basically, they are giving the terrorist profession a bad name. In many ways they are even worse than the failed pants bomber - yes he was ridiculously incompetent, but at least he had lofty ambitions.”

“I’ll bet the Real IRA members behind this plot even manage to hold down proper jobs and have a normal life when they’re not plotting to bring about a nominal amount of terror to the streets of Northern Ireland.”

Old days

The statement continued, “To put it into terms you will understand, the terrorism game is much like modern day football. What got you success thirty years ago, isn’t going to work today.”

“Terrorists today are better trained and more committed than ever before. There are new techniques, and the Real IRA simply haven’t moved with the times.”

“The game has moved on, there’s no point looking back to the glory days and saying that the IRA of the 1970’s could instil fear into British hearts better than modern-day Al Qaeda.”

“That’s like saying Leeds United of 1974 could beat the Manchester United of 2009. You just end up looking like an idiot. An idiot wearing a balaclava.”

“They either adapt and become a proper modern terrorist group, or they settle for mid-table mediocrity and not being taken particularly seriously.”

“Now if you don’t mind, I have to go and edit a video in which I scarily berate some western infidels whilst waving a machete around.”

http://newsarse.com/2010/04/12/real-ira-clearly-not-that-fussed-about-a-united-ireland-claim-al-qaeda/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I have nothing but contempt for militant republicans but there is a lot of nonsense in this post. Why have no real IRA members ever been convicted for drug dealing when there's plenty of them in prison for other charges?

Also, there's no talking to them. They've seen where talking got the PIRA and they want nothing to do with power sharing.

You say there's alot of nonsense in my post and then go and point out one thing you THINK is incorrect, hardly alot of nonsense now is it? How do you know that Real IRA members haven't been charged with drug dealing??? If they're standing trial for drug dealing they hardly come out and say "oh by the way I'm also in the real IRA". Have a good think about your own posts before you call other posts nonsense maybe?

curlzy wrote: »
    You say there's alot of nonsense in my post and then go and point out one thing you THINK is incorrect, hardly alot of nonsense now is it? How do you know that Real IRA members haven't been charged with drug dealing??? If they're standing trial for drug dealing they hardly come out and say "oh by the way I'm also in the real IRA". Have a good think about your own posts before you call other posts nonsense maybe?

You'd think at least one would have been found out by now. If the cops had any notion an IRA man was a drug dealer they'd go out of their way to charge him with membership, thus hitting their sought after community defender image.

They killed one of their own men Kieren Doherty for being involved in a cannabis farm this year.

There's plenty of things to criticise about the Omagh bombers. Really can't understand why people have to start making things up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Pfft, silly humans ranting on about geopolitical borders. All that bloodshed would have been for absolutely nothing considering that the United Federation of Planets is only a few hundred years down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

IRA gets served by Al-Qaeda ... that burns biAtch.
    Ehhhhhh....... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

IRA gets served by Al-Qaeda ... that burns biAtch.

We all know who would win in a fight though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI55Z0XkcME

Advertisement