Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway squats

Options
  • 12-10-2010 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Are there any squats in Galway?
    With all the empty property in Galway after the Celtic Tiger boom I am surprised more people aren't living in these empty ghost estates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

What makes you think we they aren't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

What makes you think we they aren't?

The property is empty.

Dr McManus wrote: »
    The property is empty.
    Whoooosh

There aren't many/any ghost estates in Galway.
    I thought rent rose marginally in the first half of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Some squats are by their nature low key, you may not even know people are there. The people actually living in them probably don't want their location known and are unlikely to post the whereabouts online!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There are plenty of ghost estates in Galway but not many in the city itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

There's a thread on a different website about ghost estates on Google Streetview, nearly every second post shows another one in Galway, Doughishka, Claregalway, Barna, etc.

Edit: @Sponge Bob, snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I can only do about 5 of them :(

Prefer situps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Dr McManus wrote: »
    Are there any squats in Galway?
    With all the empty property in Galway after the Celtic Tiger boom I am surprised more people aren't living in these empty ghost estates.

Are there any journalists in Galway?
    With all the empty property in Galway after the Celtic Tiger boom I am surprised more people aren't writing about these empty ghost estates.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There are plenty of ghost estates in Galway but not many in the city itself.
    Handy map thanks - in the city I see three apartment buildings and one estate in Fionnuisce, three commercial sites and two duplicates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

There is an estate out in the old West of the City...many people say it's haunted. 50 Polish labourers died during it's construction, people say if you listen closely during the night you can hear the ghosts saying "Przeklinać" softly on the breeze...

I'd imagine there are plenty of empty estates around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Anybody know the difference on that map between the green and red markers ?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Finished and unfinished? Just guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

mikom wrote: »
    Are there any journalists in Galway?
    With all the empty property in Galway after the Celtic Tiger boom I am surprised more people aren't writing about these empty ghost estates.

Don't you know Boards.ie is where most of the journalists get their inspiration, so expect one later this week in the Galway advertiser :D

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The green ones in the city seem to be duplicates - there is a green one and a red one for Crowne Plaza.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Red is a streetview link and Green is a link to photobucket or flickr from what I can make out.

Advertisement