Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop hard drive

Options
  • 12-10-2010 3:56am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭

any size, doesnt have to be big etc, so a cheap 100-500gb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Just checked some of the irish sites, and elara has a 250 gb for 35 quid. Think there might be an option to collect from them which might save postage.

Just make sure it is a SATA connection in your laptop as opposed to the older PATA

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have a vostro so it should be I believe. Dunno why they are so expensive, just got a terrabyte hard drive for desktop for 50e. Thanks, I'll have a look at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You should be able to get a 500gb for just north of 50 quid. CHeck out the owners manual on dell to double check (you can just enter the service tag to bring it up)

Yeah its a pain, but they have to use less platters of smaller size to get it to fit the smaller form factor. Places to check would be komplett (though only get something in stock and pay at pick up point as they have ****ed up a bit lately) elara dabs and pixmania. If the one you are taking out is alright you could get a portable external hard drive and swap the drives so you can still use it as a back up, but i believe this voids the warranty so do it at your own risk!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

failure is imminent on this hard drive, and warranty is gone agess. Thanks! I'll have a look there, don't need a large one anyway. external storage ftw

Advertisement