Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting potential housemates down

Options
  • 12-10-2010 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

So, last night I had a few people come view a room we have for rent. They were all really nice and we'd have happily lived with any of them, but we loved one of them, and she is really interested in the room, so we were unanimous in our decision that we want her.

However, we have another seven people lined up to come see the room again tonight. What is the best thing to do?
    a) Tell them all sorry, the room is gone. Better luck next time.
    b) Bring them along as scheduled, but be wasting their time as we are 99% decided on the girl we saw last night. But at the same time, we are doing the ethical thing and giving them all an equal chance.

Also, any tips for letting down the other girls we saw last night who were so lovely, and we could have happily lived with them, but the girl we want is just that bit more suitable?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If you've already decided then you should let the other people know that unfortunately the room is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

tell them them not to bother; but if they want they are welcome to come and check out the room on the off chance the girl you have decided on pulls out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

You don't think it's bad form when I have already scheduled in appointments for specific times tonight?

Also, some of the people coming tonight were the first people to ring/ text/ phone, whereas the girl we like was the last person to contact us.

It's silly, I don't know these people, but I still hate letting them down!

The girl we want sent me a text after she left to say she really really wants the room, so I can't see her backing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Contact the girl by phone first, speak to her and make sure she still wants the room. Arrange to meet up with her to sign anything, hand over keys, pay deposit, etc.

When that's arranged call or text all the others to say the room is taken. Much better to do it to give them notice not to waste their time coming over to you. If they were first to call it doesnt matter, you snooze you lose, they should have arranged a viewing more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Until you have money in hand, don't cancel viewings.

(I would have given the opposite advise 3 years ago.)

In the current market good tenants are hard to find but good places are more plentiful ... they'll easily get another place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

3DataModem wrote: »

In the current market good tenants are hard to find but good places are more plentiful ... they'll easily get another place.
    I completely agree.
    Until you've something on paper, keep your options open! At any stage someone who seems perfect could drop out or change their mind after seeing somewhere else for instance. Don't shoot yourselves in the foot, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

3DataModem wrote: »

Completely agree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

solovely wrote: »
    So, last night I had a few people come view a room we have for rent. They were all really nice and we'd have happily lived with any of them, but we loved one of them, and she is really interested in the room, so we were unanimous in our decision that we want her.
    If you've any bit of decency don't waste the time of the other 7 people. You've got 2 groups of people you can choose already, tell the girl from last night that she needs to get the deposit to you ASAP or you will give it to the other person.

Advertisement