Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I dont really have time for UFO stories ... but ...

Options
  • 12-10-2010 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

This is a tad bit weird - imo anyway.

Last night I was walking from the car to the back door. The sky was loverly - loads of stars etc and a clear sky .. very nice. Anyway, As I walked and looked up the the stars, head slightly angled to the left, the patch directly in front of my vision had no stars in it, but when I started walking towards the right, and henceforth slightly moved in relation to the sky and the part I was looking at moved to the corner of my vision, I could clearly see three stars in a triangle. The second I noticed this I stopped and looked back up, but there was nothing, and so I messed around with looking through the corner of my eye for a while and I could clearly see the three stars that way.

I moved position, looked at it from the opposite direction, even walked a way off in a different direction and every time I looked straight at that patch of sky there was nothing, but if i looked at it through my periferal vision, there were three stars in a triangle.

What is the story with that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Should've gone to specsavers...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

why? It would have been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

maccored wrote: »
    What is the story with that?
    jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Should've gone to specsavers...
    maccored wrote: »
    why? It would have been closed.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Maybe it was a constellation? I've heard of a thing called the 'Summer Triangle' where three bright stars form a right triangle in the sky. They call this formation an 'asterism'. There are usually pale clouds that run through the formation which belong to the Milky Way Galaxy. Did you see any pale clouds between the three points last night? The only thing about this is that, apparently, it's usually seen during the month of August.

Dunno why you saw nothing in one spot and then, by slightly altering your direction, you suddenly saw three stars in the same spot.

But last night was a nice starry night alright.

i dunno - i wouldnt per se say it was a ufo, but it was something i could only see (and quite clearly too) from the corner of my eye, and only in relation to the one spot in the sky, regardless of where I was looking at it from. For all I know, it could be a case for specsavers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Don't no if it was a cloaked ufo or not, but IMO it's your vision, i was thought in the army that to see better at night to look slightly to the side of something not directly at it, as this used a different part of your pupil and allowed you to make out more,
    My guess is the the 3 lights were fainter to your normal vision and when you looked slightly it away became visible,

major lovechild explained it to me - its a vison thing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mack81

Oh squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the peripheral of my vision.
    But when I try to look at you, you scurry away.
    Are you shy, squiggly line?
    Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?
    oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven. " - Stewie Griffin

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Yes, its a vision thing. An old trick back-yard astronomers use when looking for a particular feature in the sky is not to look at it directly but slightly to the side, that way the light falls on the back of the eye on the spot where there are the most photoreceptor cells. i.e looking directly at the point is not always the best way to find that point. So you see it when looking at it indirectly, and it 'disappears' when you look at it directly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

blind spot in your vision

• Advertisement
Advertisement