Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floatation/Crash Vest

Options
  • 12-10-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

With the winter coming in the water temperatures are gonna drop, regardless of how good a swimmer you are there can be a bad current and very low water temperatures.

Other than big wave surfers, do many people get them for smaller swell? (5-10ft?) Also, do they restrict your movement much?? Thinking of getting one for the winter....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

stevire wrote: »
    With the winter coming in the water temperatures are gonna drop, regardless of how good a swimmer you are there can be a bad current and very low water temperatures.

Other than big wave surfers, do many people get them for smaller swell? (5-10ft?) Also, do they restrict your movement much?? Thinking of getting one for the winter....

The safest way to look at it is to know your limits and not to take strupid chances, saying that I've been in a few scrapes.

Something life a life jacket is a bad idea for surfing, you need to be able to duck dive or role a long board you need be able to swim properly if need be and life jackkets restrict your movement....

Also during a wipe out the last thing you need is something which will bring you up like a cork while your board is in midd air, or keep you trapped in the white water getting washed onto the rocks.

Two surfers are going very fast and the vests are to stop you getting winded if you fall more than to float you, on your average wave that is less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

You won't need a crash vest if you are surfing beaches. If you think you need one for more dangerous breaks you shouldn't be surfing them: don't push yourself.

As for flotation, what about that paperweight strapped to your leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

As for flotation, what about that paperweight strapped to your leg?

Don't rely on it. When that leash snaps you are on your own.

OP if your worried about your swimming ability, become a better swimmer.

Never seen anyone at a beach break with a vest on.... scratch that; one of my first times surfing a guy who came along (also beginner) wore one, took the piss out of him all the way home. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Always thought a thicker wetsuit acted as an decent crash vest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Never seen a surfer wear one. I know windsurfers who use em but then again I know windsurfers who have cracked their ribs against the boom after a bad wipeout. Can't see much of a point in them for surfers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement