Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Approval Before Marriage

Options
  • 12-10-2010 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I have a home and my partner is building his, he just got mortgage approval and it should be complete and signed off this week, does he need to draw down some funds before we get married, just to make sure the bank cant come back on us and look to get new approval based on both our incomes (and my debt) ? hope im making sense and that someone can answer this for me please.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If they were happy with approving him on his own then you being married does not enter into the equation. Your debts are your own. It would be a different case if he was required to contribute to your mortgage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If they were happy with approving him on his own then you being married does not enter into the equation. Your debts are your own. It would be a different case if he was required to contribute to your mortgage.

Interesting. Here in France the bank would have to review the mortgage to take into account the other persons debts and preexisting mortages unless a pre-nup agreement was made to define who was the owner of what. For example in the case above, the husband would now have a mortage that he didn't have when he first applied, her debts become his and so would have to alert the bank of this fact.

Advertisement