Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entry for Ballycotton 10's 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    Woddle wrote: »
    I think krusty is a little worried as Ballycotton doesn't seem to recognise boards ac as an aai club or at least boards ac has not appeared in previous results when members have registered.

My club is Dublin for 2009
    We're golden, I'm in.. and proudly sporting the crest too.
    I'm in too, courtesy of a little help from a mate.
    *cough* Slogger Jogger unatt/Aughrim M40

If you're curious (like me): 1,901 / 2,500 runners are unattached (76%).
    Obviously this'll change when the AAI entries stop coming in, but interesting proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

:rolleyes:

Didn't make the 2,500. I had a cheque in the post 5 minutes after the form appeared online. Sickener.

EDIT: I've just noticed a work colleague made the list. I posted mine the day before his.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Yeah I didn't make it either...missed the post saying that entry was open. I still think the whole postage thing is a bit 20th century and it's not sour grapes, I made my feelings known here weeks ago.

Best of luck to everybody that made it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I might still send off an application,im guaranteed an entry as i returned my chip last year,that was a guarantee they gave last year to people who didnt race on the day.

4 stars (good)
    Yeah I didn't make it either...missed the post saying that entry was open. I still think the whole postage thing is a bit 20th century and it's not sour grapes, I made my feelings known here weeks ago.

Best of luck to everybody that made it :-)
    Now if you'd a just joined an AAI club like Boards AC, you could still post in your entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

There is that in it as well...

I' sold. Where's the AAI membership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    Sosa wrote: »
    I might still send off an application,im guaranteed an entry as i returned my chip last year,that was a guarantee they gave last year to people who didnt race on the day.

That was 2 years ago! Last year's chips were disposable, they asked people not to give them back and there certainly is no guaranteed entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Mr Magners wrote: »

On a seperate note how efficient is the operation in Ballycotton?

I think the word they use is "slick".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I made the list! Delighted!! Missed it last year. Ran this two years ago and it's a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

4 stars (good)
    I'm in too. Delighted! I know I'm not the fastest, but I'll do my best and try to do you all proud :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

I'm in as well but no mention of Boards AC as my club... I'm unattached once more.... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

4 stars (good)
    I'm cutting it fine. Just put my entry into the post 15 minutes ago. Hopefully it will be there before Thursday (should make it on Wednesday).... :o

I'm in as well but no mention of Boards AC as my club... I'm unattached once more.... :p

How do you join Boards AC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Anyone know when the final entry list is likely to be published?

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    DustyBin wrote: »
    Anyone know when the final entry list is likely to be published?

the list is on their website here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Thanks for that Emer but I reckon that's the first part of the entry list. I'm looking for the full listing including members of AAI affiliated clubs who were allowed enter up until some time in December. Any ideas when the full list is normally published?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

The A-Z listing on the site is only the first 2,500. Afaik, the final list won't be published until at least next week, after the closing date for overseas entries (Monday 10th Jan).

Given how quick the first 2,500 went up, I'd imagine that the final listing is probably all set to go, except for the final few 'stragglers' to come in Monday - so imho, later next week for the final list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

3 stars (average)
    I really should have asked this question before registering, but what is the course like :o

First 2 miles or so can be quite packed, with 2,500 runners 'barrelling' down country roads, so the initial phase can be 'interesting'.

The first 3 miles is exactly the same as the last three, except in opposite directions. The first mile and a half is downslope and the next 1.5 is level, but undulating slightly. Mile 3 to 4 is deceptive - slightly up all the way, over what I call rough surface, i.e. not very smooth tarmac. 4 to 5 is through winding roads and is again more or less level. 5.5 to 7 is where I find I make the best running - good surface and very slightly up. 7 to 8 is slightly up and a section I find tiring enough, again I tend to make progress. 8 to 8.5 is a slight drop, over the marsh.

The last 1.5 miles is 'where the men are sorted from the boys'. The first 250m is the hardest climb/part of the course. After that The course is steadily upwards with a few plateaus - tough and you need something left in the tank for this.

I went looking for a course profile on the Race profiles thread, but the link is dead. Meantime here's another Course Profile. I'll update the Ballycotton 10 link on the Race Profile thread with this profile.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Cheers for that Condo131 :) Sounds like an interesting course! Looking foward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Condo131 wrote: »

The last 1.5 miles is 'where the men are sorted from the boys'. The first 250m is the hardest climb/part of the course. .

I was firmly in the boys category here last year..:o tough, tough section right when you don't need it. Felt like I was going backwards (although in reality I had just slowed down by 23 sec/mile). Cost me dear though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bluebilly32

please read the charter regarding race number swaps- mod

4 stars (good)
    RubyK wrote: »
    Cheers for that Condo131 :) Sounds like an interesting course! Looking foward to it!

+1
    ...interesting is right. I'd heard it was a tough course, but that's a doozey for the last 3 miles! I think I'd better concentrate on getting the hills into my training or I could end up walking! Now that would be embarrassing :eek::o

Hi I'm looking for a place for the Ballycotton 10 if you know of anyone who cannot use their place. cheers
    You may *NOT* transfer numbers in Ballycotton.

Last year there was considerable trouble caused by people who unscrupulously did this. Apart from any identification reasons (and I'm not going into that in this thread), several prize winners were denied their rightful places on the podium, due to people running under other's numbers.

One of the things the Ballycotton people do afterwards is pore over the finish line videos to check the legitimacy of prize winners (F55's look vastly different to M Seniors, so when an MS finishes in an F55 podium place, understandably the organisers are *not very happy*) Anyone who is found to have transferred their number is, I understand, then declined entry to future Ballycottons. Swap at your peril!

Ballycotton Final list is on-line here

27th straight Ballycotton coming up (touch wood!) 1985-2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

4 stars (good)
    Great, I'm in.
    Its pancake flat right ??? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

4 stars (good)
    dermCu wrote: »
    Great, I'm in.

There's actually an almost imperceptible down slope the whole way:D

There's actually an almost imperceptible down slope the whole way:D
    Nyuk, nyuk! :D LOL

4 stars (good)
    Great, I'm in.

Of course. The average elevation gain/fall per mile is exactly 0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

3 stars (average)
    Delighted to be in. Hope weather stays half decent!! id say it will be hard to get accommodation/b&b now?? anyone know of any, even within a 10-15 mile radius of ballycotton?? didnt wana book before this, as i wasnt sure if i had been accepted entry.
    any info greatly appreciated. if you need to pm me, thats no bother..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Great, I'm in.

Hoping to run the route with a few friends on Sun to see what it's like so I'll report back.

4 stars (good)
    That depends on how you like your pancakes. Do you like them curled up at each end? :)

That depends on how you like your pancakes. Do you like them curled up at each end? :)
    I like it! LOL :D

4 stars (good)

Great! I just spluttered tea all over my keyboard and it's all your fault! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

4 stars (good)

He he he, very good, but the last laugh might be on you Mr Clown........
    It looks like I am going to be in Cape Town on the weekend of the 23rd of April.

You might see a "How do you like your pancakes?" sign somewhere around the 45k mark. I would of course be holding a cold beer in the other hand. :D

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    Hoping to run the route with a few friends on Sun to see what it's like so I'll report back.

This got postponed a bit but eventually I got to take a jog around this course this morning. The first 2km is downhill which means you get to experience it the other way at the end :) It's a relatively gentle incline although might seem otherwise if you've been running hard for the previous 14km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I'm really looking forward to this one....any chance of a roll call?

Gringo78 Target: 59:xx

4 stars (good)
    Gringo78 - 59:xx
    Krusty_Clown - 65:xx

I'm doing it, but sadly I'm racing for leisure, not pleasure. No sub-60 attempt for me this time around. It would be good to say hello before or after the race Gringo. :)

• Advertisement

It would be good to say hello before or after the race Gringo. :)

I'll say hello beforehand....that way I can try for a last minute change of mind and get you to attempt to go off at sub 60 pace.....a 65min 10 miler for you is junk mile territory....unless, as I suspect, its your planned race pace for the ultra which is impressive.

4 stars (good)
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    I'll say hello beforehand....that way I can try for a last minute change of mind and get you to attempt to go off at sub 60 pace.....a 65min 10 miler for you is junk mile territory....unless, as I suspect, its your planned race pace for the ultra which is impressive.
    Lol. I wish. That's an enjoyable 'get around the course' pace. I will have a 50km run/race in my legs from the previous week, hence the lack of commitment to this race.

Lol. I wish. That's an enjoyable 'get around the course' pace. I will have a 50km run/race in my legs from the previous week, hence the lack of commitment to this race.

Ah, ok. I thought the ultra was after, well completely understandable then. 65min will be an achievement then. There might be a boardsie you can pace to sub 65.

3 stars (average)
    I have a parking question - never been to Ballycotton, so know nothing about the area.

Is parking a problem? I have a vague recollection of someone mentioning that parking is 2 miles from the startline. Is this correct? I'll be coming in from from the Youghal side of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

4 stars (good)
    I have a parking question - never been to Ballycotton, so know nothing about the area.

Is parking a problem? I have a vague recollection of someone mentioning that parking is 2 miles from the startline. Is this correct? I'll be coming in from from the Youghal side of the country.

The Parking is well out of town and the streets are closed from early in the morning (if not the previous night). There are regular shuttle buses both before and after to all of the car parks.

If you're very fit you could bring a bike and cycle from the car park to the start area and after the race you could cylye back to your car and get on the road before the masses start to leave.:pac:

The earlier you arrive, the closer the car park will be. I think though if you are coming from the youghal side you will be directed to park at Garryvoe and will be bussed in from there. You will have to wait no more than 5-10min for a bus from the car park, as they fill they leave. Coming from the cork side last year I was directed to a car park which was only 10min walk down to ballycotton. Its very well organised and to be honest you're better off heading to the garryvoe car park as there's less traffic from that side generally.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    There are regular shuttle buses both before and after to all of the car parks.

Thanks for that Mr Magners.
    If you're very fit you could bring a bike and cycle from the car park to the start area and after the race you could cylye back to your car and get on the road before the masses start to leave.:pac:

I've not owned a bike in nearly 20 years :o But fear not about the masses, I think they will have left by the time I fall over cross the finish line :pac:
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    You will have to wait no more than 5-10min for a bus from the car park, as they fill they leave. Coming from the cork side last year I was directed to a car park which was only 10min walk down to ballycotton. Its very well organised and to be honest you're better off heading to the garryvoe car park as there's less traffic from that side generally.

That's good to know Gringo78, I'll head for Garryvoe!

4 stars (good)
    opus - < 1:10

Hate stating these things publicly but guess it's good to have the goal written down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

3 stars (average)
    marchino - 56:xx

I presume we will get our numbers and packs in the post, in the next few days guys.?

4 stars (good)
    Emer911 - 01:29:xx

I'm just in a different league! :o
    And that's a VERY ambitious time for me too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

4 stars (good)
    Emer911 - 01:29:xx
    Maroontam 68:xx

marchino wrote: »
    I presume we will get our numbers and packs in the post, in the next few days guys.?
    I read on the website that numbers were being posted week commencing 20th - so hopefully they should arrive soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement