Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entry for Ballycotton 10's 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    Gringo78 - 59:xx
    Krusty_Clown - 65:xx
    opus - < 1:10
    marchino - 56:xx
    Emer911 - 01:29:xx
    Maroontam 68:xx
    TFB 62:xx (that is, if the coach lets me race this properly rather than do an MP workout)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

3 stars (average)
    Just wondering from peoples experience, how much slower (if at all) they found this course compared to a flat 10 miler like Dungarvan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

4 stars (good)
    TFB 62:xx
    RedB - < 1:20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    marchino wrote: »
    I presume we will get our numbers and packs in the post, in the next few days guys.?

My number & chip arrived this morning as it happens so guess they're all on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Condo131 - 69:xx - that'd be my fastest Ballycotton for 5 years!
    God be with the days of aiming for 59:xx - anyway all set for my 27th consecutive Ballycotton 10. There's a lot riding on this - I have a private wager: the loser buys the cream buns! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

RubyK wrote: »
    Just wondering from peoples experience, how much slower (if at all) they found this course compared to a flat 10 miler like Dungarvan?

Really depends on how you like facing into a hill at the end of a race. Dungarvan is realtively flat and fast but does have a drag in the last 2 miles. Ballycotton has a tougher hill at the end but does have a downhill mile to begin with so in my book, ballycotton is faster than Dungarvan up to 8.5 miles. If you're the sort that can suffer the pain at the end knowing its the last push to the finish line and can empty the tank up the hill, then I think you could run faster over ballycotton than dungarvan. If you really don't like hills then likely you could lose 30-45sec on the final mile in ballycotton.

3 stars (average)
    Cheers Gringo! I'd say I'll struggle with that last uphill mile alright, so I'll have to make the most of those down hill sections when I can.

3 stars (average)
    God be with the days of aiming for 59:xx - anyway all set for my 27th consecutive Ballycotton 10. There's a lot riding on this - I have a private wager: the loser buys the cream buns! :)
    RubyK - 83:xx

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

God be with the days of aiming for 59:xx - anyway all set for my 27th consecutive Ballycotton 10. There's a lot riding on this - I have a private wager: the loser buys the cream buns! smile.gif
    Cindyss, ~ 71-72 mins ( 72 minutes in Dungarvan, slow 1st mile about 7.07 after that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

God be with the days of aiming for 59:xx - anyway all set for my 27th consecutive Ballycotton 10. There's a lot riding on this - I have a private wager: the loser buys the cream buns! smile.gif
    Cindyss, ~ 71-72 mins ( 72 minutes in Dungarvan, slow 1st mile about 7.07 after that)
    xebec - 79:59

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

3 stars (average)
    MaroonTam wrote: »

I read on the website that numbers were being posted week commencing 20th - so hopefully they should arrive soon

Thanks MaroonT. i got mine, in the post box just as i posted this inquiry, a couple a days ago!! roll on sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

3 stars (average)
    I read on the website that numbers were being posted week commencing 20th - so hopefully they should arrive soon[/QUOTE]

Thanks MaroonT. I got mine in the post just as i posted my enquiry on here a few days ago..freaky!! anyways, roll on sunday week.
    last tempo today at 2.30, <5mile>. will post on here later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

xebec wrote: »

Bullsh*t. Feck all training or not, you can do much better than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

4 stars (good)
    Bart simpson 64:59

did 65:19 in dungarvan in perfect conditions with village runner pacing me for the first 7 mile i fell behind at around 7:5 mile, so it aint going to be easy to get a sub 65 but i have some good sessions done since dungarvan so i hope with good conditions i can do it

Bullsh*t. Feck all training or not, you can do much better than that!

Classic, was just about to revise that to a more realistic 85 mins... Not a chance of sub-80, was dreaming earlier...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Classic, was just about to revise that to a more realistic 85 mins... Not a chance of sub-80, was dreaming earlier...

You'll smash 80. 7:50's the whole way round, at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

4 stars (good)
    kaymin < 63 mins
    Condo131 - 69:xx - RubyK - 83:xx

No pb for me this time. Training has been hit and miss due to one injury after another.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

4 stars (good)
    Hi, never ran in Ballycotton 10 before. What time would want to be there for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

4 stars (good)
    You'd want to be parking the car around 11.30ish. Give you plenty of time to get to the village and have a wander around.

On a different note, the long term weather forecast looks perfect with temps around 10-11 deg and light winds.:D

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)

I'm a first timer aswell. From the info I've got on this thread, you need to be parking up a pretty early (for me, I'm planning on 11.30 ish). There's no parking in the village, you have to use the designated car parks, and take a shuttle bus into Ballycotton. This blog link from last year gives you an idea of what to expect on race morning

http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2010/03/ballycotton-10-getting-to-race-car.html

Best of luck!

Oh, and the weather looks like its going to behave - cool and clear.

4 stars (good)
    I'm a first timer aswell. From the info I've got on this thread, you need to be parking up a pretty early (for me, I'm planning on 11.30 ish). There's no parking in the village, you have to use the designated car parks, and take a shuttle bus into Ballycotton. This blog link from last year gives you an idea of what to expect on race morning

http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2010/03/ballycotton-10-getting-to-race-car.html

Best of luck!

Oh, and the weather looks like its going to behave - cool and clear.

That's funny, your post is nearly a carbon copy of my one immediately before you but you have a little more nfo!:D

3 stars (average)
    Mr Magners wrote: »
    That's funny, your post is nearly a carbon copy of my one immediately before you but you have a little more nfo!:D

I only saw your reply there now :pac:

Should be a great day!

4 stars (good)
    I only saw your reply there now :pac:

Should be a great day!

Yeah I'm looking forward to it in a sadistic way. Did 8 miles last night and I was in tatters after it. Could be crawling on hands and knees across the finish line but don't care.

Must..........get...........finisher's..............mug............:D

3 stars (average)
    Yeah I'm looking forward to it in a sadistic way. Did 8 miles last night and I was in tatters after it. Could be crawling on hands and knees across the finish line but don't care.

Must..........get...........finisher's..............mug............:D

Ohh, is there mugs for the finishers?? I'm easily pleased :pac:

4 stars (good)
    Ohh, is there mugs for the finishers?? I'm easily pleased :pac:

Yeah me too, it can go in the press beside last year's one :D

• Advertisement

Early!!!!
    I agree with Mr. Magners. The earlier you get there, the nearer to the start that you'll be able to park. Conversely, the later you are, the further away - up to 3 miles away! There will be shuttle buses to bring you to/back, but all this takes time. I reckon that 11:30 is really the latest that you'd want to be arriving. Any later and you may be cutting things fine.

Finally....Good Luck Everyone!!! :D:D:D:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Got my race pack. Im probably going to miss it unfortunately. Not intention of transferring number ofcourse.

Have a slight criticism of the booklet. It had all the runners listed but these should have been in alphabetical order (by runner name)order rather than inby runner number. People reading it will know names to look up but not numbers, so it loses its intended value.

Ill mail the organisers about the oversight.

Guted to miss it. The history and past times etc made fascinating reading. Having a local group running it is a viable alternative to a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    T runner wrote: »
    Got my race pack. Im probably going to miss it unfortunately. Not intention of transferring number ofcourse.

Have a slight criticism of the booklet. It had all the runners listed but these should have been in alphabetical order (by runner name)order rather than inby runner number. People reading it will know names to look up but not numbers, so it loses its intended value.

Ill mail the organisers about the oversight.
    It's intentional, so that you can bring the booklet with you and address people by name for a quick chat during the race. ;)

4 stars (good)
    It's intentional, so that you can bring the booklet with you and address people by name for a quick chat during the race. ;)

Am I the only one memorising the booklet?:confused:

I'm up as far as 400 and going well.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Doinker

kaymin < 63 mins
    Doinker - 66:xx

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    I have two more questions :o I've looked online and can't find the answers, so I apologies if these have been asked before, and answered.

1) Chip timing. Are there starting mats, or does everyones chip start with the gun iykwim (like in Dungarvan).

2) I read on the website that there are time zones. What times are they broken into?

4 stars (good)
    I have two more questions :o I've looked online and can't find the answers, so I apologies if these have been asked before, and answered.

1) Chip timing. Are there starting mats, or does everyones chip start with the gun iykwim (like in Dungarvan).

2) I read on the website that there are time zones. What times are they broken into?

I can only answer the first question and there are chip mats at the start line so afaik your chio time is your accurate time.

I'll be starting at the back so I haven't a clue about the time zones. If there was a slow one that's where I'd be.:)

Keep an eye on this blog it gives loads of useful info on the run up to the big day

http://www.corkrunning.blogspot.com/

3 stars (average)
    I can only answer the first question and there are chip mats at the start line so afaik your chio time is your accurate time.

I'll be starting at the back so I haven't a clue about the time zones. If there was a slow one that's where I'd be.:)

Keep an eye on this blog it gives loads of useful info on the run up to the big day

http://www.corkrunning.blogspot.com/

Thanks Mr Magners!

I won't be starting up the front either, that's for sure :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

If you've not been to Ballycotton before this link is a Google streetview of the start. Looking back at the pink house is where the crowds will be lined up. It's congested!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Ballycotton,+Ireland&aq=0&sll=51.898529,-8.471146&sspn=0.237271,0.441513&g=cork&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ballycotton,+County+Cork,+Ireland&ll=51.827324,-8.003926&spn=0.001857,0.003449&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.827424,-8.004128&panoid=h64fl7K3fSmpttdybygwLA&cbp=12,116.81,,0,16.34

Short video from 2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ewDzIGyFX0

John does a great build up on his blog over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

kaymin < 63 mins
    Schnellimbiss 64:59

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Fair play to whoever put this video together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywIieV-d7cg

Here's another one - I even feature (if you look hard enough, towards the end of the clip)

This is the start of the dreaded 'hill' at 8.5M

Just before the start 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

tisnotover - 61:xx
    kaymin < 63 mins
    Schnellimbiss 64:59

Quick one for those in the know... I'm going to be dropped down to Ballycotton on Sunday, no problem with that. What I'm wondering is what's the deal with someone coming to pick me up? Tell them to head towards one of the carparks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    Quick one for those in the know... I'm going to be dropped down to Ballycotton on Sunday, no problem with that. What I'm wondering is what's the deal with someone coming to pick me up? Tell them to head towards one of the carparks?

It would be much better to get a ride from someone to a more accessible location - at least as far as Cloyne, or even closer to Midleton, depending on where your ride. Since there will be 3000 people heading out of Ballycotton at the time, it can't be that hard to hitch a ride.

Depends on several things:
    What time you want to leave at and
    Which direction you're heading.

If you're leaving lateish, you won't have much bother, however, if you want to leave early, you'll need to get one of the shuttle buses to one of the outlying car parks. Don't know when the shuttle buses start for the returns - I'm guessing after 2 hours or so.
    If you're heading east, then the above is probably best.
    If you're heading west, then it's possible to get quite close to Ballycotton via some of the side roads, but you'd need to know the area.

Probably best to stick to the first option.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

Xebec....if you are coming from Loch Gorman / Wexford, then you'll be approaching from the east and the car park at Garryvoe is the best spot.

After the race, get the shuttle bus back to Garryvoe (Car Pk3) and get picked up there.

More info at....http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2011/03/directions-and-parking-for-ballycotton.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Good luck to everyone running this weekend - im out of this one so will be depressed at home thinking about running it, thankfully ill be watching the cricket and the liverpool match and anxiously awaiting results of this race and barcelona marathon...

also corkrunning, your website is excellent, thanks for all the info, not just for ballycotton, but for all local(and more) races

Thanks for the info guys, Boards to the rescue as usual!

Great day in Ballycotton, ideal running conditions, cool and very little breeze... Race organisation was perfect, can see why people do this one every year! 84:10 by my watch which I'm very happy with considering the severe lack of training...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Great day in Ballycotton, ideal running conditions, cool and very little breeze... Race organisation was perfect, can see why people do this one every year! 84:10 by my watch which I'm very happy with considering the severe lack of training...

Fully agree, really enjoyed the my first time there. Mind you from what I heard from others we were blessed with very good conditions today, mention of hail showers in the past for example!

Results are out amazingly quickly btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

opus wrote: »

Results are out amazingly quickly btw.

Kiwirunner 20th in 54:15, that's a very good indicator for London.

Village Runner just a few seconds over the hour, must have laid off the pies, great run.

KC upsets the bookies by slightly beating his 65:xx target, just pipping TBF, who ran a great sub 62.

Just scanned for names, anyone else see any Boardies?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

4 stars (good)
    Fantastic race as usual. Times generally seemed to be faster, thanks to the perfect conditions. In 2010, the last of the coveted t-shirts for the first 100 finishers went to a runner with a gun time of 61:58. Today, the last t-shirt went to a runner with a gun-time of 59:39. This means that ten runners broke the hour today and got no t-shirt. I spoke to one of them who said that he would take the sub-60 any day. No t-shirt and 60:44 for me but a good run and possibly 2nd in M50, so I'm very happy.

Two runners deserve special mention in my book. Jim McNamara (M70) finished in 71:34. I spoke to him afterwards and he told me that he is 71, so he ran his age. I heard from someone else that he had a bad fall a fortnight ago and broke two ribs and suffered a collapsed lung. Would have been aiming for sub 70 otherwise.:eek: Another going close to that was first in M50, Tommy Payne, who did 54:48 (30th place) and must be 53 now I would say. Not just that, but Tommy's son Colin also finished under the hour in 58:41. All awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Kiwirunner 20th in 54:15, that's a very good indicator for London.

Very impressive. I think the 4 weeks spent in Iten was well worth it

Advertisement