Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entry for Ballycotton 10's 2011

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sometime IMRA runner Tom Hogan from Slaney Olympic 13th. Great time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    KC upsets the bookies by slightly beating his 65:xx target, just pipping TBF, who ran a great sub 62.

A 70 seconds PB, can't have any complaints! :)

The least surprising moment of the day was KC storming past me with half a mile to go, going like a rocket. I always knew the gob****e was kidding when he said 65! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

4 stars (good)
    What a great race. Really enjoyed it and actually got my time too :D
    And all for just 15euro!

Good running all around from what I'm seeing. Can't believe there were over 100 home in under the 60 minutes - savage! Super race though. Lovely course and, except for a wee bit of congestion at the start, really good PB potential (...what hill?)

Race report here if you're interested in a slow-coach run. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

63:xx for me....came down with something over last few days and hoped it wouldn't affect my running but a few miles in and the HR was higher than my 3k HR so I knew I was gone. Picked up pace every now and then but body couldn't do it. Legs and lungs were fine just no energy overall. I'd had the rusty water for 2 days so I think it's a fairly simple explanation. Disappointed cos the conditions were perfect yesterday plus got away clean in a good group at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

4 stars (good)
    I was on track to knock about 2 mins off last years time but my knee gave up at the 7 mile water station:(. Hobbled for a while then it worked again which was weird so ended up about 2 mins slower than last year.

Great event though and credit to the organisers to get 3,000 participants & spectators in to the small streets of Ballyc and out again without much fuss.

Roll on 2012.

Oh and this year's mug is a big improvement on last year's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

4 stars (good)
    Happy with 79:12 myself off limited training. Great to see so many runners giving it a lash. Great crowd and perfectly organised as usual. A good day out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

leaders_start.JPG

At this stage, there are 1000+ photos up spread out over several sites.

I have a list at the end of the post on my website

http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2011/03/results-of-2011-ballycotton-10-racesun.html

I'll add more if I find any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

3 stars (average)
    A very well organised event. The marshalling was great and there was plenty of support along the way. The last 1000 metres nearly broke me. The loudspeaker and finish line, so close yet was so far away!

Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

4 stars (good)
    My first Ballycotton and a great day. Finished 1:38:00 which I was quite happy with. I can see why it's such a popular race. Well organised and a great atmosphere. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    Really enjoyed the race, despite the mess (caused entirely by the runners - I might add) at the start line. Superb job by the organizers and the people of Ballycotton. A wonderful race that I hope to experience again and again over the coming years.
    TB wrote:
    The least surprising moment of the day was KC storming past me with half a mile to go, going like a rocket. I always knew the gob****e was kidding when he said 65!
    In my defense, I figured a 65 minute 10 mile reflected my current capabilities, so was very happy with a 61 minute finish, though the 5:50 last mile and 163 bpm average suggests I was in fact being quite lazy. :o

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    In my defense, I figured a 65 minute 10 mile reflected my current capabilities, so was very happy with a 61 minute finish, though the 5:50 last mile and 163 bpm average suggests I was in fact being quite lazy. :o

Your defense is rubbish. :D
    My race report is on my blog, if anyone's interested. It's the usual long rambling sort of report.

4 stars (good)
    when Gary stormed past me at incredible speed (he’s aiming for a 2:46 or 2:48 marathon this year
    Let the records state that I already have a 2:48 marathon time, and will be pursuing more aggressive goals in the latter half of the year. :) Great report by the way. How did Grellan get on with his Vibrams? Can't have been easy on those much hardened roads.

4 stars (good)
    Let the records state that I already have a 2:48 marathon time, and will be pursuing more aggressive goals in the latter half of the year. :) Great report by the way. How did Grellan get on with his Vibrams? Can't have been easy on those much hardened roads.

Oops, sorry! :o

Grellan ran for just for fun (he'd done 25 miles on Saturday) and ran easily in his Gorilla feet in 72:25, beating one other Vibram man in the process. His feet were fine, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    71 and some change.
    nearly 2 min slower than last year - can't be happy with that.
    Suffered over the final 2 miles and didn't at all feel well at the finish. Not enough long runs in the legs.
    Beat my neighbour by 4 min though and he's a 70min man - so I wasn't the only one to have a rough day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

60.xx and happy. 4 races in 4 weeks maybe took its toll.10 seconds in the bank at 8 miles but lost it on the 9th mile. Struggled on the last mile. Glad it was over.
    Woke up today under 13st for the first time in 22 yrs. Tomorrow morning i will put both my feet on it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Gringo78 wrote: »
    63:xx for me....came down with something over last few days and hoped it wouldn't affect my running but a few miles in and the HR was higher than my 3k HR so I knew I was gone. Picked up pace every now and then but body couldn't do it. Legs and lungs were fine just no energy overall. I'd had the rusty water for 2 days so I think it's a fairly simple explanation. Disappointed cos the conditions were perfect yesterday plus got away clean in a good group at the start.

hard luck gringo, your obviously well ahead of 63mins so get a healthy race week in and you will put in a much stronget race....id say mallow 10 would be a nice one and although cobh 10 is a very hilly route, its net downhill but somepeople put is a quicker time there that the spring series- worth consideration and for a very good cause!

seanynova wrote: »
    hard luck gringo, your obviously well ahead of 63mins so get a healthy race week in and you will put in a much stronget race....id say mallow 10 would be a nice one and although cobh 10 is a very hilly route, its net downhill but somepeople put is a quicker time there that the spring series- worth consideration and for a very good cause!

Thanks seany, will maybe do cobh but concentrating on shorter stuff now....a mile, 3k & 5k track series coming up this month/next month so will see what I can do over those distances

4 stars (good)
    Racman wrote: »
    Two runners deserve special mention in my book. Jim McNamara (M70) finished in 71:34. I spoke to him afterwards and he told me that he is 71, so he ran his age. I heard from someone else that he had a bad fall a fortnight ago and broke two ribs and suffered a collapsed lung. Would have been aiming for sub 70 otherwise.:eek: Another going close to that was first in M50, Tommy Payne, who did 54:48 (30th place) and must be 53 now I would say. Not just that, but Tommy's son Colin also finished under the hour in 58:41. All awesome.

Running your age in a 10 miler. That must be a rare feat!
    You can add another runner into the special mention category:

Pat O'Shea from Caherciveen ran 61:46 at the age of 60! That's a WMA rating of 89.04.

In comparison, Jim McNamara's rating is 85.6 and Tommy Payne's is 94.34 if he really is 53!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

(A rating of 100 would be the equivalent of a world record)

The standard these guys are setting is just out of this world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

Ran this in 80mins plus a few seconds....

Would have liked to hit under the 80mins but my mind wandered half way through and my pace dropped...

But as I had a couple of short runs in my legs as "training" I can't complain!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Racman wrote: »
    Two runners deserve special mention in my book. Jim McNamara (M70) finished in 71:34. I spoke to him afterwards and he told me that he is 71, so he ran his age. I heard from someone else that he had a bad fall a fortnight ago and broke two ribs and suffered a collapsed lung. Would have been aiming for sub 70 otherwise.:eek:

I was wondering if Jim had run after the fall actually. I couldn't run that if I was fully fit. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

4 stars (good)
    First post, been following the various running threads for a while. Ran on Sunday in 74 minutes, thought I might go a bit better bt still happy enough with that (knocking 15 mina off last year) and as eve a great day and night in Ballycotton

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

3 stars (average)
    Great race, good atmosphere and lovely people to booth.
    I was pleased with my performance on Sunday.
    Was going well and motoring, when i got a dead leg <left quadriceps> just after 8 miles and before the hill, which knocked me off stride and i struggled a bit, on the last mile and a half.
    Was like i got a kick off a horse or bull calf and it went dead.!

My target was sub 57 do, so i was pleased with my time of 56.20 and a new p.b. by 45secs.

Grand course overall, mainly fast and we were lucky with the day weather wise too.
    Shuttle buses were excellent also.
    Well done to all boardies. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

Hi ALL,
    Great conditions for the race, finished in 72.xx a bit slower than Dungarvan, felt this race in my legs a bit, high milage during the week but no excuses. What was mad, was that I bet a woman by 2 secs who bet me in Dungarvan by 2 secs, talk about even pacing, must look out for her in Mallow, Onwards and upwards,
    Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Came across a good photo showing the runners piling up to the very front at the start line, looks like they have a barrier to give the elite section a clear run at the very front. Think I even spotted KC looking up at the camera! I'm around another 10 rows back but moved up 3 or 4 based on a friend's advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

3 stars (average)
    opus wrote: »
    Came across a good photo showing the runners piling up to the very front at the start line, looks like they have a barrier to give the elite section a clear run at the very front.

It was an excellent event. My only slight on the organisation would be in relation to this. The reserved space at the front of the barrier was filled up with a few hundred "elites", most of which clearly had no business being up there. This could be solved fairly easily, by allocating numbers to the places reserved for elite athletes, e.g. 1 to 50 or whatever, and only allowing people displaying those particular numbers to enter the reserved area from the front. Simples.

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    Came across a good photo showing the runners piling up to the very front at the start line, looks like they have a barrier to give the elite section a clear run at the very front. Think I even spotted KC looking up at the camera! I'm around another 10 rows back but moved up 3 or 4 based on a friend's advice.
    Well spotted!

3 stars (average)
    wgtomblin wrote: »
    It was an excellent event. My only slight on the organisation would be in relation to this. The reserved space at the front of the barrier was filled up with a few hundred "elites", most of which clearly had no business being up there. This could be solved fairly easily, by allocating numbers to the places reserved for elite athletes, e.g. 1 to 50 or whatever, and only allowing people displaying those particular numbers to enter the reserved area from the front. Simples.

You make sense here. it was akward enough now.
    I had to talk to an offical at 1245, to tell him to make sure and not refuse me from getting in to the pen as i was hoping for a decent enough time and it was a concern, listening to people who ran it before who have lost 2-3 minutes at the start due to being to far back.
    It sounds like a logical idea, with your entry send along evidence of a 10 mile race you have finished in say sub 62 mins and free up those numbers from 1-150 for these entrants.?
    by post not email, theres not even a contact phone number for the race,??? one the biggest in the country.

i asked him how would he know if i was going for a good time and not having a low number on my singlet..
    He said that they would know by ''looking at you, if you looked the part'', that was funny, what are they fu*kin* bloodstock agents!
    some great runners, Colm Burke for example, o45 this year and he ran 53.12 the other day.
    ok he had an elite number but colm looks like a pig farmer who used to play a bit of GAA years ago and not a guy who can rattle out sub 5.20 miles for 10 miles!

He then said that Sean heir had a high number but that we know him and we will just ''let him in'' to the elite pen when he comes.. fair enough but,
    I then asked him what about me, you dont know who i am and i dont want to be pushed back, with intentions of running quick! anyways he was cool about it in the end.

I did ask him do what would qualify for an elite number, and he said, ''well years ago sub 50'' thats funny also gob****e, because last year ye would have had no elites in the 'famous race' so!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

4 stars (good)
    marchino wrote: »
    You make sense here. it was akward enough now.
    I had to talk to an offical at 1245, to tell him to make sure and not refuse me from getting in to the pen as i was hoping for a decent enough time and it was a concern, listening to people who ran it before who have lost 2-3 minutes at the start due to being to far back.
    It sounds like a logical idea, with your entry send along evidence of a 10 mile race you have finished in say sub 62 mins and free up those numbers from 1-150 for these entrants.?
    by post not email, theres not even a contact phone number for the race,??? one the biggest in the country.

i asked him how would he know if i was going for a good time and not having a low number on my singlet..
    He said that they would know by ''looking at you, if you looked the part'', that was funny, what are they fu*kin* bloodstock agents!
    some great runners, Colm Burke for example, o45 this year and he ran 53.12 the other day.
    ok he had an elite number but colm looks like a pig farmer who used to play a bit of GAA years ago and not a guy who can rattle out sub 5.20 miles for 10 miles!

He then said that Sean heir had a high number but that we know him and we will just ''let him in'' to the elite pen when he comes.. fair enough but,
    I then asked him what about me, you dont know who i am and i dont want to be pushed back, with intentions of running quick! anyways he was cool about it in the end.

I did ask him do what would qualify for an elite number, and he said, ''well years ago sub 50'' thats funny also gob****e, because last year ye would have had no elites in the 'famous race' so!!

You come across like a real nice guy:rolleyes:

4 stars (good)
    Realistically, the best solution is to include a current 10mile PB (if applicable) and a target finish time on the application form. Race numbers or a specific colour on the race numbers should denote a start area. They wouldn't necessarily need to regulate it, hopefully it would be enough to persuade people to head into the appropriate area.

The lads around me (in the 58-62 minute area) were all having a laugh about the signs. That's only thing that bothered me about an otherwise most excellent race: the 'Me Fein' attitude of some of the participants. I know it's part of the tradition, but if participants can be coaxed (gently!) into the right area, Ballycotton will deserve its title as one of the better races in the world (rated no 2 in Ireland/UK, after London marathon).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Realistically, the best solution is to include a current 10mile PB (if applicable) and a target finish time on the application form. Race numbers or a specific colour on the race numbers should denote a start area. They wouldn't necessarily need to regulate it, hopefully it would be enough to persuade people to head into the appropriate area.

The lads around me (in the 58-62 minute area) were all having a laugh about the signs. That's only thing that bothered me about an otherwise most excellent race: the 'Me Fein' attitude of some of the participants. I know it's part of the tradition, but if participants can be coaxed (gently!) into the right area, Ballycotton will deserve its title as one of the better races in the world (rated no 2 in Ireland/UK, after London marathon).
    According to what standards gary?
    That start looks desperate. Ive heard Good things about ths race but what what aspects of it make it so high in most peoples estimations?
    It is things like a flat course or i there something im missing?

4 stars (good)
    Oisin11178 wrote: »

By the author's personal, subjective standards.
    Oisin11178 wrote:
    It is things like a flat course

I know KC said he failed to notice the hill but I'm pretty sure the other 2399 of us noticed it, alright. It's not bad, but flat it ain't. The likes of Mallow and Dungarvan are definitely easier.
    Oisin11178 wrote:
    or i there something im missing?

Yup. It's the buzz of the race. That and the excellent organisation.

4 stars (good)
    Yup. It's the buzz of the race. That and the excellent organisation.
    ^Exactly what he said^.

Also:
    In February 1999 the UK edition of Runner's World ranked the race second only to the London Marathon in these islands, giving it a status and hype which also had a lot to do with its popularity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Yeah ive never heard a bad word said about it. Only really good things except maybe small gripes about the start. Seems to be loads of great 10 mile racesdown the country and very few in Dublin. I saw the course profile for mallow:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    I thought this was a good quote that I got via email from one of my colleagues in work, she wasn't able to make it this year but it gives an idea what people think of it :)
    I LOVE BALLYCOTTON and have done it over 20 times!!! It's just the best day ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

4 stars (good)
    Hard to explain what exactly it is about Ballycotton but it is a great race, perhaps it is as simple as the fact that it it is a no frills wel organised race in a nice part of the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

dernipper wrote: »
    Hard to explain what exactly it is about Ballycotton

Simple, its the mug, its all about the mug.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

According to a Runner's World magazine survey a few years ago. Given the number of good UK races, and the fact that relatively few people from the UK actually run outside the UK, imho, it says a lot that it was voted so highly.
    That start looks desperate.
    Not really. It's pretty crowded alright, but there normally aren't any problems. Imho, the start in Dublin is more hectic, even though the start area is far wider.
    Ive heard Good things about ths race but what what aspects of it make it so high in most peoples estimations?
    It's run By Runners for Runners! Entry is cheap. Par excellence value for money. Prompt results. Very well organised, from early morning, hours before the race, to several hours afterwards. ......and the buzz!!
    It is things like a flat course
    It's not flat, nor is it anywhere near the worst. Personally I don't like the course, but I wouldn't miss it for the world - hoping to run my 28th consecutive Ballycottton in 2012! :):cool:
    or i there something im missing?
    Definitely!

...now...When are the 2012 forms out??? :D:D:D

3 stars (average)
    Mr Magners wrote: »
    You come across like a real nice guy:rolleyes:

Thanks and i was worried, i thought i sounded a bit to real :-)

It is a top race and great atmosphere.
    so i am nice when i have an opinion to match.
    Ok i am honest in my opinions but, better to be like that, than to be listening to the moly coddle bullsh*t from men and women in the dail for years, that has this country in the mess its in.

4 stars (good)
    Condo131 wrote: »
    ...now...When are the 2012 forms out??? :D:D:D
    Had I known they were giving out T-shirts for the top 100, I would have tried a good bit harder in the weeks leading up to the race and the race itself (I'm a recognition whore :)).

Also eagerly awaiting the 2012 forms. :)

Had I known they were giving out T-shirts for the top 100, I would have tried a good bit harder in the weeks leading up to the race and the race itself (I'm a recognition whore :)).

Also eagerly awaiting the 2012 forms. :)

It'll only get tougher to get a t-shirt methinks. It's got a recession buster of a price and I think due to recession we're heading into a new running boom....with standards increasing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement