Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin c in breadmaker

Options
  • 12-10-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I make yeast and soda bread regularly by hand, but I have only recently got a breadmaker, which I use when I dont have time to make it by hand.

The brown bread is dissappointing, but I have not used Vitamin C as suggested.

I have a few questions for anyone who makes bread in a breadmaker

Do you use Vitamin C ?
    Do you know where I can get Vit C powder or tablets that are easy to crush ?
    Can anyone suggest a good brown bread recipe for a breadmaker ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Weird I've never heard of this before but interesting in reading the replies, a quick google tell me the vit c helps the yeast work better.

maybe this would work http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=119

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

New to me too :)

Vitamin C = ascorbic acid

From a quick google I found this link describing bread dough enhancers etc and it says this about ascorbic acid:
    Creates an acidic environment for the yeast which helps it work better. It also acts as a preservative & deters mold and bacterial growth. With just a touch of ascorbic acid, your Artisan breads, the yeast will work longer and faster. French bakers add it to their French bread, baguette or boule recipe.

If you can't find pure ascorbic acid crystals you can use Fruit Fresh (canning isle) or a crushed/powdered vitamin C tablet, but measure accordingly.

Advertisement