Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which was the greater Unbeaten Achievement - United 98/99 V Arsenal 03/04

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ridiculous.

A team could go all season unbeaten, draw every game and be relegated with 38 points.

United's treble win is the greater achievement by a country mile. I can't believe people are even debating the issue. It's not even a close run thing.

I'm sure if Arsenal had only managed 38 points and relegation that season there wouldn't be too many lauding it as an achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

That poll count is fcuked up!! 20 million people have hardly voted on this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

United's treble win is the greater achievement by a country mile. I can't believe people are even debating the issue. It's not even a close run thing.

If the question were Arsenal's unbeaten run or United's treble, then there would be no debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

Ridiculous.

A team could go all season unbeaten, draw every game and be relegated with 38 points.

Well, that clearly didn't happen with Arsenal seen as they finished with 90 points, winning 26 games, with a considerable goal difference.

As I said in my previous post, I was basing my opinion purely on run's alone, obviously winning the treble is the biggest achievement a club can win and dwarfs anything Arsenal has won, but that wasn't the OP's question; he simply asked which was the better unbeaten achievement. I just think Arsenal's mentality and sheer class that year in the league was excellent, and to keep it up consistently throughout the whole season despite injuries/suspensions/pressure etc was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Forest's unbeaten run of 42 games between '78 and '79 was a better achievement than United's or Arsenal's. The fact that it took 26 years to beat it is testament to the ability of Clough & Taylor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

gosplan wrote: »
    If the question were Arsenal's unbeaten run or United's treble, then there would be no debate.

It's the same point.

One's an unbeaten run which yielded a Premiership title. The other's an unbeaten run that yielded English football first (and only) real treble.

No contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

No contest.

Which is clearly reflected in the results of th poll...oh wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ridiculous.

which is why that's happened a whole bunch of times.

oh wait...

it's about the unbeaten runs.

of course winning the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup is a better achievement in itself if you simply take trophies won in a season as the only point of debate. that's fúcking obvious. it's as plain as simple mathematics - 3 is better than 1. :pac:

but in terms of which is the better unbeaten run? that's an extremely close run thing. as you will see if you read the opinions of 99% of the people who have taken part in the debate on this thread.

the fact that both achievements have only been done a handful of times is a testament to that.

so no, not a country mile. it's either one by a gee hair; depending on your personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's the same point.

One's an unbeaten run which yielded a Premiership title. The other's an unbeaten run that yielded English football first (and only) real treble.

No contest.

In that case Jose's home record beats both, it's yielded like 6 titles or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This thread is still going?? For one Utd's run was over 2 seasons, couple of months here, couple of months there. They were under no pressure to keep the run going unlike Arsenal where every game was another step to a milestone. The treble has been done lots of times whereas an unbeaten league run just once before. Another stupid discussion where only Utd fans vote one way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Warper wrote: »
    This thread is still going?? For one Utd's run was over 2 seasons, couple of months here, couple of months there. They were under no pressure to keep the run going unlike Arsenal where every game was another step to a milestone. The treble has been done lots of times whereas an unbeaten league run just once before. Another stupid discussion where only Utd fans vote one way

How many times have Liverpool fans been mocked for pointing out that we would have won the league by now if the season ran from January to December! And rightfully so too. Grasping at straws!

Advertisement