Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a french cut of beef called a paleron, what do I ask my butcher for?

Options
  • 12-10-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

On holiday I had a beautiful braised cut of meat called a paleron, and the restaurant gave me the recipe. I intend cooking it this weekend, but what is the equivalent irish cut. I've done some internetting, and I've come up with, top blade steak, top chuck roast, or centre of the boneless shoulder clod roast (!) kept whole. A bit of a mouthful (no pun intended) to go into my butcher to ask for, and I know that irish cuts differ from UK and amrican cuts. I'd be grateful for any advice for narrowing down so I dont stand at the counter like a moron when he asks questions!! Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Welcome to Boards.ie :D

The paleron is the shoulder cut (whatever that is in English?)

Paleron thends to be one of the cheapest cuts you can get in France (cheek is cheaper) and is almost always braised. As it's so cheap it needs to be cooked for some time before it's edible and is often used for recipies which are associated with poor countryside peoples (boeuf bourgionne) for example.

I think you just need to let your buther know from what part of the animal the cut comes from and how you intend to cook it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

Thanks for that. Yes, it was long braised, and the cooking liquid then reduced by half and thickened with a roux, very tasty. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

morceaux-boeuf.gif
    That might make it easier for you, english equivilent is chuck or blade (same thing), what you already had (top chuck/blade) was prob best to ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And for comparison:

400px-British_Beef_Cuts.svg.png

Thanks all, have it in my head now I know what im looking for. Off to the butcher today to order for saturday. Will translate the recipe and post later. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Upper blade roast or Top blade roast is what to ask for

Paleron de Boeuf "Le Bouchon"

Ok, well, cooked my meat yesterday, was magnificent, melting, tasty, sauce was divine.. Slight issue with the sauce, was a kind of chocolate colour, even tho it was lipsmacking, and I recall the restaurant vesion being more reddish in hue, maybe i needed to cook the roux to brown, don't know, any suggestions

Recipe

1 top blade roast, 5 lbs
    brunoise (1 carrot, 1celery stalk and 1 leek, cut into small dice)
    bay leaf
    butter
    flour
    1 bottle red wine (burgundy by choice
    creme de cassis ( i used 4 fl oz)

Brown meat and set aside
    Saute veg and bay leaf for five mins in casserole
    place meat on top, cover with wine
    Bring to simmer
    Transfer to oven 150 degrees, and cook for minimum 3 hrs
    Keep meat warm, strain liquid and reduce by half
    add cassis, thicken with roux (15g butter and 15g flour per 250 ml liquid)
    (make roux, and whisk vigourously into simering liquid in increments)
    simer 10 mins to get rid of "starchy" taste
    whisk in chilled diced butter "pour faire oncteuse"
    salt to taste

That was it, well worth the wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

^^

will use this.

:D

Paleron de Boeuf "Le Bouchon"

Ok, well, cooked my meat yesterday, was magnificent, melting, tasty, sauce was divine.. Slight issue with the sauce, was a kind of chocolate colour, even tho it was lipsmacking, and I recall the restaurant vesion being more reddish in hue, maybe i needed to cook the roux to brown, don't know, any suggestions

Recipe

1 top blade roast , 5 lbs
    brunoise (1 carrot, 1celery stalk and 1 leek, cut into small dice)
    bay leaf
    butter
    flour
    1 bottle red wine (burgundy by choice
    creme de cassis ( i used 4 fl oz)

Brown meat and set aside
    Saute veg and bay leaf for five mins in casserole
    place meat on top, cover with wine
    Bring to simmer
    Transfer to oven 150 degrees, and cook for minimum 3 hrs
    Keep meat warm, strain liquid and reduce by half
    add cassis, thicken with roux (15g butter and 15g flour per 250 ml liquid)
    (make roux, and whisk vigourously into simering liquid in increments)
    simer 10 mins to get rid of "starchy" taste
    whisk in chilled diced butter "pour faire oncteuse"
    salt to taste

That was it, well worth the wait

whole??

diced???

(when you say cover with the wine......)

yes, beef was in one piece, important to specify to the butcher. And it cooked perfectly in 3 and a half hours, connective tissue had melted but beef still held together. Just cube the veg small. I browned the meat briefly in a hot skillet, then poured the fat into a le creuset casserole (22 in) and fried the veg in this for about 5 mins. then put piece of beef on top, poured wine over (it didnt cover completely, no harm), put lid on, brought to a simmer and into the oven.

• Advertisement

and a skim of the scum when meat had been brought to simmer, just before oven

yes, beef was in one piece, important to specify to the butcher. And it cooked perfectly in 3 and a half hours, connective tissue had melted but beef still held together. Just cube the veg small. I browned the meat briefly in a hot skillet, then poured the fat into a le creuset casserole (22 in) and fried the veg in this for about 5 mins. then put piece of beef on top, poured wine over (it didnt cover completely, no harm), put lid on, brought to a simmer and into the oven.

cool,thanks.. i was wondering as 5lb piece of meat would be fairly big
    joint to cover with one bottle of wine.
    hungry just reading your reply:D

cheers.gonna cook it and let you know how i get on.

Advertisement