Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Crowe (Mayor) - More Wastage !!!

Options
  • 12-10-2010 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Did any happen to notice our Mayor last night in The Galway Boozeum (Museum for those who don't know) ?
    Could he manage to make it to the Museum on his own from Bohermore without his Chauffeur ? of course not...The driver was sitting outside the Museum in his car reading the newspaper for the night. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

On the plus side at least it angered me so much that I found out who our Mayor was.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

"I'm entitled to it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

plonker

the likes of him thinks he is way above everyone else - wonder how much that set us back

Are you sure it was the city mayor? The county has a mayor too now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Are you sure it was the city mayor? The county has a mayor too now.

I think so ..he was a pretty short fella with lots of designer bling hanging around his neck :)

Oh and why do we need a County Mayor ? What does the Current city Mayor do (beside waste our money)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Does the mayor have a car permanently on standby? Anyway, I doubt that Mike Crowe still lives in Bohermore,

• Advertisement

could he not have called a taxi if he didn't want to walk - he could have gotten a receipt for it - approx 8 - 10 Euro, and it would save the chauffeur sitting there all night at a cost of what???

the fools gold around his neck must be messin with his brain cell. (singular)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mike kelly wrote: »
    Does the mayor have a car permanently on standby? Anyway, I doubt that Mike Crowe still lives in Bohermore,
    According to this, his address is in a commercial park. This recession will ruin us all, especially when you have 6 gaffs rented out to the Council...

Robbo wrote: »
    According to this, his address is in a commercial park. This recession will ruin us all, especially when you have 6 gaffs rented out to the Council...

so where does he really live? surely in the information age we can find this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Briarhill afaik but 1) we don't know where he was prior to this appointment, and 2) when in Mayoral capacity the Mayor always has the official car, at least every time I met one of them through the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

Why the set against him?? Is it him or the institution of being mayor?

• Advertisement

I presume you've written into the Galway Advertiser OP, since you seem to feel so strongly about it.

Why the set against him?? Is it him or the institution of being mayor?

Are you for real ? Galway city is tiny why would he need a 24/hr Chauffeur ?
    As a previous poster said ...get a taxi or walk for gods sake...He's not royalty.

From a previous post "It emerged recently that the cost of providing chauffeur-driven cars to four ex-Taoisigh came to €684,247 last year"

So do the maths..We're being raped again.

I presume you've written into the Galway Advertiser OP, since you seem to feel so strongly about it.

We don't need to the Galway Forum is where they get their stories :D

We don't need to the Galway Forum is where they get their stories :D

Touché

Are you for real ? Galway city is tiny why would he need a 24/hr Chauffeur ?
    As a previous poster said ...get a taxi or walk for gods sake...He's not royalty.

From a previous post "It emerged recently that the cost of providing chauffeur-driven cars to four ex-Taoisigh came to €684,247 last year"

So do the maths..We're being raped again.
    Their drivers are guards and there are two assigned full time to each former taoiseach.

The mayoral car is provided by a private company on a contract basis as far as I know.
    Robbo wrote: »

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/YourCouncil/CouncilMembers/GalwayCityCentral/
    It's the same address as Ollie - I might walk past this evening to see if it is an office or something else.

The mayoral car is provided by a private company on a contract basis as far as I know.

So probably even more expensive ;)

anyone know who the driver/company was.

biko - okay if he was away with the car and had to get it back thats fine - but why leave him sitting outside with the clock ticking and the public's meter running while is is inside probably talking nonsense as he usually does. Could he not have sent him home.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

biko wrote: »
    we don't know where he was prior to this appointment

There was a City Council meeting on yesterday evening (where they had to approve the plans for the Christmas market in the Square), so as Mayor, he would have been chairing that.

soundbyte wrote: »
    There was a City Council meeting on yesterday evening (where they had to approve the plans for the Christmas market in the Square), so as Mayor, he would have been chairing that.

So he was about 500m away :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

He lives out in Coolough. I think he is entitled to a Chauffeur as he is representing our City.
    Imagine you were a potential investor to our City and you saw the Mayor getting off a bus or cycling up to the door a hotel.
    Sometimes he would have several functions on the same night and has to work on preparing speeches, etc. on the way.

• Advertisement

sgthighway wrote: »
    Imagine you were a potential investor to our City and you saw the Mayor getting off a bus or cycling up to the door a hotel.

The primer minister of Sweden travels on public transport, doesn't seem to have done that country any harm

He lives out in Coolough. I think he is entitled to a Chauffeur as he is representing our City.
    Sometimes he would have several functions on the same night and has to work on preparing speeches, etc. on the way.

what is wrong with walking to a venue? or cycling? Please don't tell me that we are so far up our own ar**s now that local mayors have to be seen with a chauffeur. no wonder the place is in the state it is.

Also if he waits until he is enroute to a venue to prepare his speech it won't be up to much ........on second thoughts, maybe that's what he has been doing all along. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

My god i hate that word! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

mike kelly wrote: »
    The primer minister of Sweden travels on public transport, doesn't seem to have done that country any harm
    Don't think he does now with the current terror alerts but an older one used to go on the subway every morning like everyone else.
    Some Swedish members of parliament actually do still, or bus/bike it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Swedes are not a pack of self important parasitic gombeen men like our FFers and FGers and PDers generally are Biko :( Public transport in Sweden works not least because because politicians use it, in Ireland they don't and it doesn't.

Galways Mayor should have a special pass with Citybus and a free cab home after Citybus shuts down, nothing more than that is required. :D

Actually if they did use public transport at least they might put more weight in getting the buses to run on time and the roads sorted out.

someone tell Mike Crowe that bicycles are very popular in China

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

...but why leave him sitting outside with the clock ticking and the public's meter running while is is inside probably talking nonsense as he usually does. Could he not have sent him home.

Have you ever worked split shifts?

How would you feel if your boss said "Come in for 20 minutes work this morning, then you can go away unpaid for uhh, probably 2 hours, maybe 3, but then again maybe only 1 if the meeting's quick, and then we'll pay you for another 20 minutes after that".

There's a nasty small-minded-ness about this thread, IMHO.

JustMary wrote: »
    Have you ever worked split shifts?

How would you feel if your boss said "Come in for 20 minutes work this morning, then you can go away unpaid for uhh, probably 2 hours, maybe 3, but then again maybe only 1 if the meeting's quick, and then we'll pay you for another 20 minutes after that".

There's a nasty small-minded-ness about this thread, IMHO.

come off it Mike, if you relinquished the car you would score a lot of political points. This is an opportunity to show leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Did any happen to notice our Mayor last night in The Galway Boozeum (Museum for those who don't know) ?
    Could he manage to make it to the Museum on his own from Bohermore without his Chauffeur ? of course not...The driver was sitting outside the Museum in his car reading the newspaper for the night. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

On the plus side at least it angered me so much that I found out who our Mayor was.

big wow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement