Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Crowe (Mayor) - More Wastage !!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

could he not have called a taxi if he didn't want to walk - he could have gotten a receipt for it - approx 8 - 10 Euro, and it would save the chauffeur sitting there all night at a cost of what???

the fools gold around his neck must be messin with his brain cell. (singular)

he could also replace the golden chain with a plastic one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Fuinseog wrote: »
    he could also replace the golden chain with a plastic one

a plastic one made in Hong Kong?

Be serious, Mike needs to show people he is different from other self serving career politicians. The next election is his big chance. He should ditch the car and walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

But he probably has a rather large car allowance on top of his Chauffeur too.
    Can't he drive a car all on his lonesome ?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

This this government have run this country in to the ground. In the next few months we are due for the most severe budget in the known universe EVER. All and any wastage should be cut. Swanky cars and Chauffeurs, along with egotistic meaningless bits of jewelery, should be the first to go.

Last week, not for the first time, there were children with Cystic Fibrosis on the radio, for two days, begging for basic services that will prolong their lives. That very night I watch Minister Eamon Ó Cuív, on Vincent Browns show, defend his €200,000 a year car as a 'tool of this trade'***. The people who run this country are so out of whack with reality it is sickening.

I spotted the Mayors car in Galway a few weeks ago.... I don't think it would be possible to get a BIGGER merc!

*** Eamon Ó Cuív & this right to a car & driver - 32min 40sec in here:
    http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=27800&locID=1.65.169&date=2010-10-06&date_mode=&page=1&show_cal=&newspanel=&showspanel=&web_only=&full_episodes=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

It was cystic fibrosis not MS.

The life expantancy for people with it in canada is 45 whereas here it is 25. This is largly down to the poor services we have in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

JustMary wrote: »
    Have you ever worked split shifts?

How would you feel if your boss said "Come in for 20 minutes work this morning, then you can go away unpaid for uhh, probably 2 hours, maybe 3, but then again maybe only 1 if the meeting's quick, and then we'll pay you for another 20 minutes after that".

There's a nasty small-minded-ness about this thread, IMHO.

well then he should have jumped in a cab. the small mindedness comes from idiots who leave somebody waiting outside while they talk nonsense inside - ask yourself the question - would he do that if he was paying out of his own pocket - the answer is NO - so why should we pay for it. Ask any taxi man about split shifts and you will get your answer. the same taximen who were fed to the wolves may I add, but then again, thats only a small mans job, not a big mans job like the mayor. :mad: The small-minded-ness is not in my posts but in the naivete that he has to leave his chauffeur sitting outside at OUR expense cause he doesn't want to split his shift - HILARIOUS.

well then he should have jumped in a cab. the small mindedness comes from idiots who leave somebody waiting outside while they talk nonsense inside - ask yourself the question - would he do that if he was paying out of his own pocket - the answer is NO - so why should we pay for it. Ask any taxi man about split shifts and you will get your answer. the same taximen who were fed to the wolves may I add, but then again, thats only a small mans job, not a big mans job like the mayor. :mad: The small-minded-ness is not in my posts but in the naivete that he has to leave his chauffeur sitting outside at OUR expense cause he doesn't want to split his shift - HILARIOUS.

Exactly, the mayor does not need a chauffeur - end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

skelliser wrote: »
    It was cystic fibrosis not MS.

The life expantancy for people with it in canada is 45 whereas here it is 25. This is largly down to the poor services we have in this country.

Ahh that's right, not the best memory for names etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Swedes are not a pack of self important parasitic gombeen men like our FFers and FGers and PDers generally are Biko :(

Did Tom Costello and O'Brolchain not use the car?

c_man wrote: »

good question

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

O'Brolchain had the usual diesel execu-barge changed for a Prius. And global warming hasn't happened since.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Robbo wrote:
    O'Brolchain had the usual diesel execu-barge changed for a Prius. And global warming hasn't happened since.

Catherine Connolly used a bike and the chauffeur (who had the job for over 10 years) was sent to the dole queue. I'm nit sure if it was the same fella that was rehired for O Brollochain.

It used to be that the mayoral chauffeur was paid a salary and was not on the clock. Frankly I'd assume that hasn't changed if they're still employed by the mayor's office.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Catherine Connolly used a bike and the chauffeur (who had the job for over 10 years) was sent to the dole queue. I'm nit sure if it was the same fella that was rehired for O Brollochain.

It used to be that the mayoral chauffeur was paid a salary and was not on the clock. Frankly I'd assume that hasn't changed if they're still employed by the mayor's office.

Women politicians seem to like sacking people, just to show who's boss. Mary Robinson did the same in the Aras.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

mike kelly wrote:
    Women politicians seem to like sacking people, just to show who's boss. Mary Robinson did the same in the Aras.

Yeah and people like mike kelly like making pathetic sexist remarks. :rolleyes:

Yeah and people like mike kelly like making pathetic sexist remarks. :rolleyes:

This deserves another thread

While I applaud Catherine Connolly if she used her bike ..the fact that Galway gets about 10 dry days a year I presume she used the chauffeur for 99% of her duties. These people are not rock stars and for some reason they think are.
    They should use some form of State Car when bringing foreign diplomats or Multinational CEO's around Galway as part of a sales pitch...but not for social events.

They seem to forget that they're supposed to be working for us !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hmm we get far far more than 10 dry days, you'd be surprised.

Cllr. Connolly is always on her bike, cycling forth from City Hall, her workplace and home. It's great to see and she sets a great example for others (especially kids) to follow.

You should write to Michael 'i hate trees' Crowe and ask him to explain to you the voter, how much taxpayer funds his office is utilising in the provision of a driver and car.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Hmm we get far far more than 10 dry days, you'd be surprised.

Cllr. Connolly is always on her bike, cycling forth from City Hall, her workplace and home. It's great to see and she sets a great example for others (especially kids) to follow.

You should write to Michael 'i hate trees' Crowe and ask him to explain to you the voter, how much taxpayer funds his office is utilising in the provision of a driver and car.

I think I will folks ..I'll keep you updated on his response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

sgthighway wrote: »
    He lives out in Coolough. I think he is entitled to a Chauffeur as he is representing our City.
    Imagine you were a potential investor to our City and you saw the Mayor getting off a bus or cycling up to the door a hotel.
    Sometimes he would have several functions on the same night and has to work on preparing speeches, etc. on the way.

The present New York Mayor uses the subway every day. He was a multi millionaire years before he became Mayor and he can still bring himself to use the subway. I know this was addressed already but I can't emphasise enough how sad the political culture of this county has become, and its because of people thinking politicos are entitled to anything and everything they want. County councillors regularly go on junkets and spent tens of thousands on expensives including on 5 star hotels, because its what was expected of them in these countries and they are entitled to it.

instead of a car, Mike could use a rickshaw. It's not only in China that they are popular. He's allready gone to the trouble of regulating them

http://www.michaelcrowe.ie/news/richshaws-be-regulated

• Advertisement

The present New York Mayor uses the subway every day. He was a multi millionaire years before he became Mayor and he can still bring himself to use the subway. I know this was addressed already but I can't emphasise enough how sad the political culture of this county has become, and its because of people thinking politicos are entitled to anything and everything they want. County councillors regularly go on junkets and spent tens of thousands on expensives including on 5 star hotels, because its what was expected of them in these countries and they are entitled to it.

ya, but everybody in the world knows that the IRISH politicians and councillers are SO MUCH MORE important than the president of america or the mayors of various "proper cities" in the USA - after all they get a higher rate of pay for leading the massive country known as Ireland - sure the yanks are only trotting behind us when it comes to massive pay cheques and limo's everywhere.

i think if you pulled michael crowe's trousers off you would see a "made in china" stamp on his ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

mike kelly wrote: »
    instead of a car, Mike could use a rickshaw. It's not only in China that they are popular. He's allready gone to the trouble of regulating them

Excellent news.

Excellent news.

so you'll be voting for Mike next time out?

ya, but everybody in the world knows that the IRISH politicians and councillers are SO MUCH MORE important than the president of america or the mayors of various "proper cities" in the USA - after all they get a higher rate of pay for leading the massive country known as Ireland - sure the yanks are only trotting behind us when it comes to massive pay cheques and limo's everywhere.

People probably don't realise that the purpose of the state car for the Taoiseach was originally as protection from paramilitary forces, however its obviously not needed in that capacity any more, and I doubt the mayor is any different....

People probably don't realise that the purpose of the state car for the Taoiseach was originally as protection from paramilitary forces, however its obviously not needed in that capacity any more, and I doubt the mayor is any different....

no, but it might be needed as protection from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Can't even spell Rickshaw :pac::pac:

From what I have read about the rickshaw regulations they are effectively making it so awkward and expensive that no one will actually bother their arses now. This begs the question as to why they just didn't ban them outright as opposed to having some poor hard working :D clerk in the council overseeing it at a cost to the taxpayer. Not to mention the time wasted by the councillors discussing it

why do people always compare Irish politicans with american ones?
    zou use the subway in New York, becuase it is more pratical than public transport. it wont work in ireland. least of all Galway. mabe the mazor should ride a bus and get hassled by his begrudgers.
    he may also have more thna one engagement in teh night and need to make them on time

a plastic one made in Hong Kong?

Be serious, Mike needs to show people he is different from other self serving career politicians. The next election is his big chance. He should ditch the car and walk.

he could also ditch the suit and wear a tacksuit and trainers, like a true man of teh people.
    I know plenty of normal people who drive to the shops, even when they are only a 5 min walk away.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    why do people always compare Irish politicans with american ones?
    zou use the subway in New York, becuase it is more pratical than public transport. it wont work in ireland. least of all Galway. mabe the mazor should ride a bus and get hassled by his begrudgers.
    he may also have more thna one engagement in teh night and need to make them on time

Because Galway is tiny and inconsequential but people like Crowe think they deserve chauffeurs, while American politicians can at least sometimes make the right choice. If he wants to be driven around by someone let him use a taxi, otherwise public transport, bike, or foot power are good enough for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement