Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!! Where can I find sweet potato chews???

• 12-10-2010 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I bought some Sweet Potato Dog Chews @ Marley Park market a few weeks ago for my dogs Harri & George. I had never seen this product before and I thought they might enjoy these. Wrong! Enjoy is too weak a word! My doggies were in HEAVEN! and now the girl selling them isn't at the markets anymore and I can't find them on the internet.

they don't like milk bones/ dog bones/ rawhides, etc. (and I don't trust giving them to them anymore anyway!)... pleeeeease if anyone know's where I can find these sweet potato chews let me know xxxx dogs are having withdrawls!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Jackob

You can buy them online from Amazon quite cheaply!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ginagina

Thanks for your reply, to be honest I'm not savvy enough to buy online, can just about use this forum and anyway the delievery charges are extremely high from what I hear!! I'd also prefer to buy irish and support local enterprise. This girl said she was making them from her kitchen, just really want to know if anyone has contact details for her or if they've seen them for sale anywhere???

Thanks again,
    Woofs!!

No worries!! Thats fair enough. I will keep my eyes peeled! My own dog could do with something to chew on. He won't touch any of those shop bought ones!!! but maybe he might like these ones. If you do happen to find them yourself perhaps you could post a message!;)

ginagina wrote: »
    I bought some Sweet Potato Dog Chews @ Marley Park market a few weeks ago for my dogs Harri & George. I had never seen this product before and I thought they might enjoy these. Wrong! Enjoy is too weak a word! My doggies were in HEAVEN! and now the girl selling them isn't at the markets anymore and I can't find them on the internet.

they don't like milk bones/ dog bones/ rawhides, etc. (and I don't trust giving them to them anymore anyway!)... pleeeeease if anyone know's where I can find these sweet potato chews let me know xxxx dogs are having withdrawls!!!

Actually I have just found a recipie online for making your own!! Apparently you can just buy your own sweet potatoes, slice them up into dog chew size and then dry them out in the oven for approx three hours!! Simples!!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

sorry this might be off the topic at bit was the girl at the market selling dog products?

• Advertisement

Hi Sophie, yes she was there during the summer selling doggie treats, toys and even pupcorn!! meat flavored popcorn. Dogs were in their element.

Thanks Jacob for this reciepe, have you tried it yourself yet? I'm going try it out and let you know how I get on. The novelty will probably wear off after making them the once! I'll keep looking though and let you know If I find them. Woofs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Just looked the recipe up, might try these when I make the christmas cake next week, temp seems about the same, and recipe says they can be frozen for up to 4 months.

Mymo Dont forget to let us know how you get on!!:P

I found them!!!! Molly's in Dun Laoghaire sell the sweet potato chews for €2.95 and they're selling out quick. My two nearly took the fingers off me when I opened the bag, never seen them so excited! I'll definitely be going back for more.

Harri enjoying his sweet potato, couldn't find him for ages and then spotted him in his bed happily chewing!! It's nearly the size of him!!! :):):)

• Advertisement

ginagina wrote: »
    Harri enjoying his sweet potato, couldn't find him for ages and then spotted him in his bed happily chewing!! It's nearly the size of him!!! :):):)

Scrumptious!! and I dont mean the swet potato! My last dog:( was a boxer, Harri's little face reminds me of her!! He is adorable! Hope you have as many years of fun and happiness with him as I had with Cass!! ginagina, Please keep the pics posted:)

Jackob wrote: »
    Scrumptious!! and I dont mean the swet potato! My last dog:( was a boxer, Harri's little face reminds me of her!! He is adorable! Hope you have as many years of fun and happiness with him as I had with Cass!! ginagina, Please keep the pics posted:)

Ah thanks, yes he's a little sweetie pie, we all luv him to bits :) boxers are one of my fav's, so full of energy and fun. They keep u fit!!! Sorry to hear Cass has passed :( big hugs

Ok so I got a sweet potato, and I'm baking the Christmas cake this afternoon, so will try them in with it.
    Will let you know how it works out.

Wow, these things must be bloody good....one of my dogs stole one from the oven, I left the door open to cool them and he took one, still pretty hot too.
    So they are easy to make, and the dogs love them:D
    Sweet potato was bit pricey but will keep an eye out for offers now.
    Thanks guys!:)

Edited to add, if anyone wants to make these, I cut the sweet potato length ways into 1cm wide slices, then put on a tray covered with baking parchment, turned once mid way through cooking, 130 degrees for about 3 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think I'm going to try these in our old style range seeing as it's on all day anyway (it heats the water for the central heating) skins on or off though?

I left skins on, seems to be good idea as it held them together when turning.
    Even the end bits seem fine, has to be low heat, they should be kind of firm but still bit bendy when done.
    Dogs drove me mad for the last hour looking for more, finally gave up and gone to bed.
    These could work out great for training;)

OMG mymo, I would love to have seen that happen!!! It must have been so funny!! Hope he didnt burn his mouth!!!:D Do you think they would be suitable to freeze as my dog is small and would never get through a whole sweet potato!! Thanks for posting recipie!

The recipe I found says they keep for about 4 days in the fridge or they can be frozen. Next time I'll do a big batch, 'cos I only got 8 slices from the sweet potato I got. I have a Lhasa, she had no probs getting through a slice;), so wouldn't last too long here with my two.

@ Jackob, It was funny seeing him steal the hot one, he held it between his teeth and looked like he was smiling, he couldn't think where to run with it and ended up dropping it and pawing at it until it was cool enough to eat. Don't think he burned himself, 'cos he was trying to get another one.
    He also likes cheese on toast or chicken sambo's as I have found out, thieving little sod.:D

DOGS - where would we be without them - they're so mischevious!! Well ,Im off to the supermarket later to get my own Sweet Potato, if only for the entertainment value!!!:D

PS Mymo, Hope the Christmas Cake turned out as well as the Sweet Potato Chews!!

Thats great. So glad to see others liking the sweet potato treats for their dogs too, when I told people I think they thought I was going nuts!!! Dog Training Ireland are selling them now too, hail SP chews, guilt free pamering for our pets :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Think they also sell them at Dog Training Ireland in Blanch and also Tailwaggers in Kilcolgan in Galway (they both do mail order.) ;)

Advertisement