Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up...again

Options
  • 12-10-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

So I gave up on the 1st of June this year after smoking for over 20 years. I went cold turkey and with some support from here and a good bit of will power I lasted two full months. I really thought that I was finished with them for good.
    Then at the start of August I was at a party. I got drunk and some stressful stuff happened around me and I folded and decided to have one single cigarette: massive mistake.
    I rationalised that since I had smoked one I could just continue for that evening and give up again in the morning. I bought a pack and smoked them all. I still considered myself an ex smoker for the next few days but they had me again.

Shockingly I have upped my cig intake from about 25 a day before I gave up to about 35 a day since I went back on them. This is costing me far too much in money, self respect and breath so last night I decided I'm stopping again.
    I'm now at 11 hours and there are strong cravings but I know that they pass and I know that I can do this.

I just wanted to come back here and post this as I know that talking this stuff out here was the single best help to me the last time...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smurf1985

congrats :)

I also gave up last night after fighting with mysslf for the last while that i cant afford it really and better off with out them i have tyred before and failed but this time im happy im going to succeed and can do this .. the cravings are a killer but just taking deep breaths when i get them and saying 5 more mins 5 more mins !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Thanks for the reply Smurf, I hope youre still off em...

I am now WELL off them. This time I didnt count the days and I really just didnt make such a big deal out of it. I had to check my last post to see that its over two weeks now.

As a person who nobody I knew would ever have thought I'd ever quit I want to just say this:

If you want to stop then stop. Its really hard for about 3 days but so long as you dont smoke it only gets easier.

I think that if you are taking any nicotine replacement that you are still on it. I realise that these help some people but personally I think that until you stop taking the patch/gum/e-cig/joint/whatever and then wait 3 days with NONE OF THESE, you are still addicted to nicotine.

Anyway I just thought I should report back here because I think we all need to help each other with our experiences of escaping nicotine.

To anybody who wants to stop smoking please feel free to PM me and I will help in anyway that I can...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I think that if you are taking any nicotine replacement that you are still on it. I realise that these help some people but personally I think that until you stop taking the patch/gum/e-cig/joint/whatever and then wait 3 days with NONE OF THESE, you are still addicted to nicotine.

+1, i thnk the exact same thing. Im off them about 4 months or something now (stopped counting), and when i gave up i decided to get rid of all the nicotine. If its still in your body, you're still addicted.

Well done on giving up! Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

+2

Off the smokes means off the SMOKES! No replacements or substitutes.

If you wanna do it, just do it. Be headstrong.

Do up a money calender which shows daily saving, then blow it at end of week as a reward! :D Some people put the 8.50 into a jar everyday and save the whole year but i reckon its one step at a time so a little reward everyweek is, to me, much better.

Good luck..:P

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Had a bit of a relapse over the past week: I got drunk last Saturday and had one or two. Didnt smoke on Sunday but in work on Monday I had one. This grew to two or three on Tuesday and by Wednesday I was buying them again. I smoked all weekend but am now back on day one.

This is harder this time than it was in June...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Had a bit of a relapse over the past week: I got drunk last Saturday and had one or two. Didnt smoke on Sunday but in work on Monday I had one. This grew to two or three on Tuesday and by Wednesday I was buying them again. I smoked all weekend but am now back on day one.

This is harder this time than it was in June...

Any type of patches or gum is like water torture,I gave up 18 months ago and yes it was tough but after a few weeks i felt great,and id never ever go back now i cant believe you did,a few beers or tough times isint really a justifible excuse,life is full of those,if you dont want to smoke again,dont its that simple,your the one with the power no one else.Good luck i hope you succeed but dont start blaming other things

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Im 27 next week and have smoked since I was 13, bad age, I know.
    In 2007, I had to go to hospital to get my wisdom tooth out, i had to get stitches so to prevent infection and fast recovery (very painful procedure, removing wisdom tooth) so I decided to quit there and then.
    My pals were with me while I dumped almost a full box before the op.

I did it...for 7 months, i quit smoking! I felt so much better and looked it and my flat smelled fresh all the time. i loved it then one day an old pal who I hadn't seen in over a year offered me one and I went for it. Stupid, idiotic me! I insisted Id be ok bit I was in denial, my dad said the nicotine has me again and he was right.

Ive been on them ever since, I now realised its time to leave go and start a fresh BUT Im not doing it until the new year (my boyfriend who I live with will do it then)...I swear! Im going to do it then. I cant afford it anymore and im damaged enough and Im only 27!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Bubs99 wrote: »
    Im 27 next week and have smoked since I was 13, bad age, I know.
    In 2007, I had to go to hospital to get my wisdom tooth out, i had to get stitches so to prevent infection and fast recovery (very painful procedure, removing wisdom tooth) so I decided to quit there and then.
    My pals were with me while I dumped almost a full box before the op.

I did it...for 7 months, i quit smoking! I felt so much better and looked it and my flat smelled fresh all the time. i loved it then one day an old pal who I hadn't seen in over a year offered me one and I went for it. Stupid, idiotic me! I insisted Id be ok bit I was in denial, my dad said the nicotine has me again and he was right.

Ive been on them ever since, I now realised its time to leave go and start a fresh BUT Im not doing it until the new year (my boyfriend who I live with will do it then)...I swear! Im going to do it then. I cant afford it anymore and im damaged enough and Im only 27!

theres always a reason not to do it bubs,in the new year it'll be something else,if your serious about doing it stop making excuses and do it !!!thats my advice,tough but it's the only way to give them up,no excuses or blame just do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Look.The way I look at it is this. Why should you let this addiction control you? How many times have you run out of fags and actually get in the car looking for an open shop to buy some,no matter what hour of the night! It's ridiculous! How many last cigarettes have you had and it goes on and on. The addiction owns you and you seem powerless. But you're not, you have self respect. Fight for yourself! Cravings will come and go but treat them as a challenge and try to take some kind of masochistic pleasure out of it and enjoy your little victories.
    Grit your teeth and get on with it. Don't let this control you!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Off as of today. I do have gum but I really don't wanna use gum.

I wanna do it cold turkey tbh.

I had tried to give up about 4 months ago but that was a complete disaster. I went in without a plan as such.

I've identified my triggers.

For the next while I'll be seriously cutting down on coffee and alcohol. Alcohol is the biggest one and will be a severe challenge but I'm willing to try it.

I can easily have two pints and not smoke so I may just cut down on drinking for the next while. I know myself that if I have more than 2 I'll end up buying a pack of smokes which I really do not wanna do.

Half time during football matches is also one of those "have to light up" moments. Will be attempting to keep myself busy during half time to give myself a distraction for 15 mins. Stick on a wash, make something to eat or something until I'm back into the football again.

Around 11am I suppose I'd get a craving as soon as I'm given a coffee. Gonna seriously cut that out. It's even worse when I'm not usually busy in work when it's all you can think about. May find myself posting in here to keep my mind occupied.

Identifying your triggers is important. Best of luck lads.. I know I'll bloody well need it.

• Advertisement

Well I lasted until the afternoon lull in work and caved. Pretty pissed off at myself. I smoked 4 all day today but tomorrow I pick myself up and stop again.

Good luck That_Guy. The cold turkey route is all about getting over the first three days in my experience. The habit side of it is the same IMO whether you use NRT or cold turkey but I think NRT just prolongs the cravings without even stopping them.
    I found/find this site is great in that it shows you how many you having smoked and how much cash you've saved. Something to motivate you when you need a reason:
    http://www.giveupsmoking.ie/

I hope today wasnt too bad anyway.

^

Cheers. Yesterday was actually ok. Didn't really feel any cravings at all. Just kept myself busy. Cleaning my room, sticking on a few washes, watched a film/tv etc. Just kept myself very busy.

Kept waking up last night though a lot. Feeling ok thus far but one of the lads that works with me smokes so I'm staying the hell away from him until he leaves.

I'll keep myself busy to take my mind off things today until I finish work.

Then later, I'll grab the new Call Of Duty game which should keep me occupied until I collapse into bed later on. Fingers crossed anyway.

If you ever need a chat turnsoutIwas I'm a PM away anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

turnsoutiwas - from reading your posts it seems that you do great until you have a drink and then your will power fails. Would you not think about not drinking for a month or two , to give yourself a chance - drinking and smoking go hand in hand and its natural to want a smoke then. As well as that the more glasses of wine you have the less will power you have to say no. would you think about giving up drinking for a while.

also bubs - the fact that you say you will give them up after christmas is a sure sign you will think of an excuse then as well not to give them up. I used to be like that - putting it off all the time until "big" events were over. I bet you when New Year comes, you will say "oh its known fact that new years resolutions dont work so its a really bad time to give up now, I will wait until things get back to normal in a couple of weeks" I know, cause I did it loads of times. :D If you want to give them up, give them up now - not in two months.

@That_Guy: Cheers man. Will prob take you up on that...
    I had the same sleeping issues the last time. I ended up needing about 1hr less sleep every night in the end.
    I hope its still going as smoothely for you.

@dolphin city: Yeah I do usually fall down around drink but I think its more due crap going on in my life that pisses me off and I get self pitying and decide I'd rather a short smokey life than a long life with no smokes.

I had yet another failure today. I REALLY want to stop smoking but I keep coming up with really valid reasons that I can stop tomorrow(they never seem valid just after I do it though). Thinking I should stop posting here until I actually get a day under my belt.

I am still detirmined to break this ridiculous habit. Going to spend the evening on whyquit.com. Actually helped me massively last time.

Hope you're doing alright OP. I'm currently on 5 days without them. Going ok so far.

Even had a few pints last night and didn't feel the urge to smoke which was good.

:)

I'm off them 7 days today. Delighted. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 rubic

only gave up yesterday, 1 day off them now (the longest in about 7 years) and feel ok, even tough I am using patches and I am not totally "free" the way I saw it was anything that will help me not smoke is a good thing, have been reading all the post's in this section and have got great encouragement off them.

rubic wrote: »
    only gave up yesterday, 1 day off them now (the longest in about 7 years) and feel ok, even tough I am using patches and I am not totally "free" the way I saw it was anything that will help me not smoke is a good thing, have been reading all the post's in this section and have got great encouragement off them.

The first three days will be rough. Personally, I've gone cold turkey and it was a bit of a struggle but as long as you keep yourself busy, identify your triggers and change your routine you should be ok.

I didn't sleep very well in the first 3 days but gradually I got back to normal.

Just think of the money you'll save. As an incentive, go to http://giveupsmoking.ie/ and do the calculation on how much you spend a week.

Take that money and put it away and blow it all at the end of the month on something for yourself as a reward. :D

Good luck to you. I'm only off them a week myself but send me a PM anytime if you need a chat. :)

That_Guy wrote: »
    Good luck to you. I'm only off them a week myself but send me a PM anytime if you need a chat. :)

Thanks for the support, I'll try and update when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Good luck!!!

ITS WILL POWER THAT MAKES IT ALL POSSIBLE :)

I have confidence in all!

• Advertisement

Up to 3 day's now, not missing them half as much as I taught I would, just finished what patches I had and am ready to go solo.Keeping busy in work and at home helps.No mad dreams yet but I am looking at smokers/smoking differently, think I'm finally copping on.

rubic wrote: »
    Up to 3 day's now, not missing them half as much as I taught I would, just finished what patches I had and am ready to go solo.Keeping busy in work and at home helps.No mad dreams yet but I am looking at smokers/smoking differently, think I'm finally copping on.

You do notice a lot of changes.

Firstly, my breathing has gotten a bit better. Ok, it's not fully back to the way it was but it's getting there. I'm not out of breath really anymore.

Secondly, food is tasting an awful lot better now which is always good.

And thirdly, I was walking home from work and I've noticed that the smell of cigarettes is actually disgusting.

Never noticed it before.

Oh actually one more thing.... After a night out (which was a difficult test btw) you don't taste like an ashtray in the morning which is amazing.

Check your bank account at the end of the week. Surprisingly, there'll be an awful lot of money still in there so blow that all on something awesome for yourselves.

So three months later and I've finally made it to one day off them again.
    I started this thread back in November and then failed in my attempt to stop. I had to unsubscribe from my own thread because it was making me feel terrible every time there was a post.

Anyway...I took the leap and smoked my last cigarette at around 11 last night.
    Today wasnt easy but I got through it and I'm feeling positive about stopping.
    Every time I got a strong craving I asked myself if I want to be a smoker forever and that was enough to stop me.

I hope the rest of you guys did better than my last attempt and are free of them now.

One week off them now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I've made it to two weeks now! :D Still want to smoke sometimes but its pretty managable now. I went out on Saturday and did some drinking but didnt cave so I'm happy with that.

I'm really noticing my breathing when I cycle now. I can go faster and my lungs are working a lot better. I'm sleeping less and I am spending no money during the week which is amazing.

My Quit Date

07/02/11

Days Smoke Free

Money Saved

€180.6

Good stuff TOIW, 2 weeks is great,haven't update dsince last Nov but the update is below.

Failed on the last atempt lasted less than a week and fell apart, decided that the new year would be an ideal time to start again, new year came and went and I was still puffing away, on 20th Jan I saud enough is enough, am still off them now 5+ weeks later, did the patches for 10 days and the last 4 weeks haven't used anything.

I'm mentally strong at the moment and am taking it 1 day at a time, every day I am getting stronger and the re-training of my brain is starting to kick in like I'm not thinking about smoking every hour or so, it's getting to a point that I only think about them a few times a day now and I just get on with it and it pass'es.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks man and well done on getting to 5 weeks. It's really good to hear from others who are just ahead of me as its a little glimpse into the future...good to hear its getting easier.

As of today I'm on three weeks which is the second longest I've gone without nicotine in 20 years.

I had many craving over the weekend but managed to not give in to them.

My Quit Date

07/02/11

Days Smoke Free

Money Saved

€270.9

Goos stuff TOIW, I'm now up to 6 weeks tomorrow, I was taking it 1 hour at a time now 1 day at a time, am looking forward to the time when I won't notice the weeks slipping by.

By and large I've stayed offf the drink over the last 6 weeks only once have I gone out and had a skinful, the next morning I was so sick I was delighted that I didn't smoke as I know I would have felt 10 times worse.

Starting to get to a point where I can handle all my "smoking triggers" and not many ocassions left that I used to smoke.The biggest one for me was the football, went to 2 setanta cup matches in the last week and didn't smoke, big challenge as I always (taught I) enjoyed smoking while watching the game, once I got my head right there was no problem and I hardly taught about smoking.

Starting to look at people who smoke in a different light.

Keep the faith everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Posted this elsewhere as well but here you go:

Put out my last fag at 7.25pm on January 31 and haven't smoked since. Not the easiest thing I've ever done - I've been a smoker for 30 years (early starter - 10 years old, daily smoker since aged 12) and a pack-a-day man for the past 20 years. Went cold turkey and five weeks on I can honestly say that was so much easier than I thought it would be.

The first week was hellish, right enough, and I nearly mugged a passerby for a drag, but diversion worked, keeping busy and avoiding my usual "have a fag" scenarios. By the end of week two I was flying.

What kept me sane was telling myself that I was only giving up for a month and that I could, if I felt like it, have a fag on March 1. Of course, by then the craving was long gone.

So for me anyway it's all been about little steps. Getting through a day at a time at first and then looking to the two-week milestone, then three, then a month. At this stage I've saved $500 and I really notice it. I'm saving now, rather than going from payday to payday and I haven't really missed it that much. (That said, I'd never deny that I got great pleasure from smoking - way more than I ever got from recreational drugs or drink.)

Advertisement