Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medal of Honor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I think there was a discussion recently on here about games being made primarily for multiplayer with a singleplayer tacked on.

This seems to be the case with most Modern shooters.

COD:MW2/MOH/BC2 (did anyone even try the Bad Company 2 campaign ?)

I take it as a given that if I buy an FPS for the PC, that multiplayer will be a huge if not the main aspect of the game.

The only ones in recent memory I can think of that dont hold true to this are Half Life 2 and Bioshock, maybe Crisis.

People have already condemned this, which i find unfair. Im looking forward to giving it a good and fair go with my clan on our server, I'll make my mind up then :)

I primarily play FPS titles so I'm quite disapointed with the way things are going. I don't think there's anything better than an engrossing FPS title with a good story and its quite poor that the SP aspects of these games are now being treated as some sort of "tutorial" for online.

BfBC2 single player was actually quite entertaining so it can be done that the SP provides some sort of entertainment regardless of its online features.

When I buy a title, I buy it primarily for the entertainment and the option to sit down and enjoy a good SP experience when I want. I do not appreciate the current trend of sticking SP in as an afterthought.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

MOHAA was the first title worth even talking about tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Dcully wrote: »

Won't argue with that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

TheFairy wrote: »
    Cully it smacks of money grabbing gits to me! They had a SP game, and basically added BFBC2 MP to it in an attempt to grab monies from us! I shake my head at DICE. They started as a modding team, modding BF1942 giving us Desert Combat, and now they are releasing games with little or no support and very few maps. Shame on them tbh!

Uh.....no. Go check your facts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_1942

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trauma_Studios

Liber8or wrote: »
    Won't argue with that! :D

In all honesty i totally forgot about them so i stand corrected :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

**goes off to play MOHAA multiplayer while waiting for his Steam to unlock MOH** :rolleyes::)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not exactly. The first MoH was a damn fine game and a much much better single player game than Goldeneye. It's probably dated a bit though. MoH:AA was however well ahead of anything else when it came out, single player and multiplayer.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not exactly. The first MoH was a damn fine game and a much much better single player game than Goldeneye. It's probably dated a bit though. MoH:AA was however well ahead of anything else when it came out, single player and multiplayer.

It really was a great game. I remember just seeing it by chance after it came out and bought it, played it to death! Didn't really like the 2nd one at all but I generally don't have a soft spot for games where you play as a female lead (weird thing to say I know, but I just can't take an FPS seriously knowing I'm playing as the opposite gender - it just doesn't have that same "i'm kicking ass" feel to it :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Been playing MoH there for the last 2 hours and its defo a game of 2 halves.
    The single player is basic and uninspired so far but the multiplayer is awesome.

I'm loving the team based aspect of it but its not forced like in BF:BC2 (probably helped by the small size of the maps).

Patch released

http://www.medalofhonor.com/blog/2010/10/pc-multiplayer-patch

- Fixed a potential crash when using DirectX9 and switching kits/weapons
    - When connecting with a non-PunkBuster client to a PunkBuster server, the game would get stuck in “Joining Game…” This has been fixed
    - Server browser would sometimes remain blank for 60+ seconds after a full refresh. It should now begin displaying results immediately, under any circumstances
    - Server browser supports multiple game servers running on the same host IP
    - Server browser bugfixes for “Quick Refresh” operation
    - Server browser is less prone to shuffling the order of entries
    - Ping reporting in the server browser is more accurate (in a few cases ping values would get assigned to the wrong server)
    - Full refresh no longer tracks the first server that arrives in the list
    - When trying to join a full server, an error message is now displayed informing the user that the server is full
    - Imported anti-cheat functionality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dice had a game before 42, it was akin to rockstar having a game before GTA 3

MOHAA was awesome, it was a game it contained both SP and MP in equal measures. A modding community that catered to both SP and MP. If Ea had of replicated that with current technology i would have been happy.

Shame tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Patch released

http://www.medalofhonor.com/blog/2010/10/pc-multiplayer-patch

- Fixed a potential crash when using DirectX9 and switching kits/weapons
    - When connecting with a non-PunkBuster client to a PunkBuster server, the game would get stuck in “Joining Game…” This has been fixed
    - Server browser would sometimes remain blank for 60+ seconds after a full refresh. It should now begin displaying results immediately, under any circumstances
    - Server browser supports multiple game servers running on the same host IP
    - Server browser bugfixes for “Quick Refresh” operation
    - Server browser is less prone to shuffling the order of entries
    - Ping reporting in the server browser is more accurate (in a few cases ping values would get assigned to the wrong server)
    - Full refresh no longer tracks the first server that arrives in the list
    - When trying to join a full server, an error message is now displayed informing the user that the server is full
    - Imported anti-cheat functionality

That's working a treat now. Browsing the servers is instantaneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

The guys at Dice used to be in Trauma Studios.

Picked it up this morning. About 3 missions in so far but I can't see much wrong with it to be honest, quite enjoyable from what I've played. Its not doing anything new in the genre, but its a solid shooter none the less. Should keep me entertained for the weekend at least.

also
    is there actually gore in this? I have it turned on in options but haven't seen anyones head or limbs taken off them yet, even from direct sniper hits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Not sure what to make of this to be honest, i read IGN review, highly critical, and then a review on the gamespot website and while it criticises it, it also seems to promote it. Watched some footage of game play and it does seem ok. Really not sure if i should take a risk on it!

Is this worth buying? I was looking forward to it but today have read bad reviews on it, so im unsure now!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

I got it and LOVE it something I just like about it, I know its no COD but still its kinda slick, and the MoH frontline bonus is a nice touch, Haven't played online yet but the only drawback is its very short but when you think of it as long as the storyline is quality rather then quantity i'm a happy man :)

Downloaded it overnight, played about 10 mins on single player, while gfx are not near as sharp as multiplayer they are not that bad.
    Will get into some MP later but know ill enjoy it as i liked the latest beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not sure what to make of this to be honest, i read IGN review, highly critical, and then a review on the gamespot website and while it criticises it, it also seems to promote it. Watched some footage of game play and it does seem ok. Really not sure if i should take a risk on it!

Get it and decide for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Went ahead and picked it up this morning. Day of work to get through first though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Does anyone know how much it cost? Where is the cheapest place to get it?

Is this worth buying? I was looking forward to it but today have read bad reviews on it, so im unsure now!

I was the same, in two minds as to whether to get it over all the negative reviews. Quite happy I got it though, as I said it is a solid shooter and the first 3 missions have been quite fun to play through (looking very forward to the Apache :D).

There's certainly nothing so far that has given me any negative impressions like what I've been reading on various forums. Its an action packed FPS, it doesn't re-invent the wheel or anything but its a good blast to play. Weapons feel nice and pack a punch, and I don't know what game people were playing when they said the weapons didn't have recoil because they do.

I'd recommend it anyway if you're a fan of the genre, seems like it will be an enjoyable experience to play through for this weekend at least before Fallout New Vegas comes along to eat my free time.

P.S:
    Try stabbing a dead enemy a few times on the ground. The animation of it is vicious looking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Just played the multiplayer and it's great :-)

DarkJager wrote: »
    I was the same, in two minds as to whether to get it over all the negative reviews. Quite happy I got it though, as I said it is a solid shooter and the first 3 missions have been quite fun to play through (looking very forward to the Apache :D).

There's certainly nothing so far that has given me any negative impressions like what I've been reading on various forums. Its an action packed FPS, it doesn't re-invent the wheel or anything but its a good blast to play. Weapons feel nice and pack a punch, and I don't know what game people were playing when they said the weapons didn't have recoil because they do.

I'd recommend it anyway if you're a fan of the genre, seems like it will be an enjoyable experience to play through for this weekend at least before Fallout New Vegas comes along to eat my free time.

P.S:
    Try stabbing a dead enemy a few times on the ground. The animation of it is vicious looking :D

Well that settles it. i shall pick it up tonight in Dundrum :D

i wasnt expecting it to be mind blowing, as long as it was similar enough to MW2 and other COd id be happy, i wasnt expecting miracles and previews seemed great.

i have been waiting for Oct 22nd for god knows how long now, FONV cannot wait for it!

That_Guy wrote: »
    Get it and decide for yourself.

Well im not made of money haha, and FO New Vegas is out next friday and Black Ops next month, so if i was buying this i want to be sure its half decent, i have read other posters who seem happy with it so im happy to trust their judgements, im sure i will like it so will pick it up tonight!

Well that settles it. i shall pick it up tonight in Dundrum :D

i wasnt expecting it to be mind blowing, as long as it was similar enough to MW2 and other COd id be happy, i wasnt expecting miracles and previews seemed great.

i have been waiting for Oct 22nd for god knows how long now, FONV cannot wait for it!

Yeah I think you'll find some enjoyment in it anyway. Last thing I did was race an ATV across the desert at night so its probably got a few things like that which will hold your attention. One thing I would suggest is to play it on Hard - not impossible to deal with the enemies but its a good challenge and makes you think out your attack a bit more.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Yeah I think you'll find some enjoyment in it anyway. Last thing I did was race an ATV across the desert at night so its probably got a few things like that which will hold your attention. One thing I would suggest is to play it on Hard - not impossible to deal with the enemies but its a good challenge and makes you think out your attack a bit more.

Going to be a long night i think, looking forward to this now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

There are too many quality shooters about to take a risk on this IMO, Black Ops is just around the corner and is looking top notch, with more features than MOH, I'm holding out for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

Who is doing the best deal on this at the moment, I wouldnt mind getting it tonight. is Tesco doing it?

• Advertisement

Played multiplayer for an 90 mins or so on PC, really enjoyed it.
    Its basically the latest beta polished up a tad and a generous collection of maps.
    So refreshing to play a modern fps that requires care and attention, run and gun in this MW2 style and your history.
    Be clever with your movements,have decent awareness of whats going on and actually play as if it was a battle and the game is very rewarding.
    Some game modes are better than others as usual but basically comes down to personal taste.
    The weapons feel dangerous and powerful as they should be, as an infantryman you feel vulnerable when you know the enemy have these powerful weapons at their disposal as it should be.
    No childish perks to save your ass here.
    Im a long time fan of fps games with a touch of realism, i quite enjoy, Day of Defeat Source,Insurgency [HL2 realism mod],Red Orchestra, i havent played Arma 2 in anger yet but i believe its uber realistic.
    While MOH could do with more recoil in the guns the game does a great job of depicting war and small infantry battles.
    The game fills you with a sense of danger - virtual danger ofcourse :)
    Im not saying this is as realistic as the fps titles i mentioned above , certainly the lack of recoil and bullet drop emphasizes this point but the fact that you simply have to thread carefully and at a slower pace to the likes of MW2 helps to make it feel like your playing something a lot more realistic than the usual fps offerings of late.
    Im sure the game is not for everyone but im a firm believer of making my own mind up about games, quite a few times i dismissed games on the strength of others views and reviews only to take the plunge and purchase later on and wonder why on earth i didnt get it earlier.
    God knows if the game has lasting appeal but for now im enjoying playing a new fps that actually has a dash of realism to it.
    Dare i say it it feels similar to the old school PC fps games PC gamers are used to, cant be a bad thing imo :)
    Just make sure you change the default FOV in the config and turn of Bloom.

Advertisement